Chapter #32 ~ Eva

Eva smiled as she breathed in the sweet flowers. They were beautifully blue and purple of varying shades. They were fragile, but in the right hands they grew and blossomed. Eva loved flowers.

She smiled at the lovely fragrance that wafted through the air. She hadn't seen a flower in years and now she was holding several in her hand.

She blushed at what they might mean. Connor had given them to her without even knowing she wanted them. He did that sometimes, brought her sweet treats and things she loved, but hadn't seen in years.

A month had passed since she had met Connor. A month where she had felt happy. Even with the king using her to do unspeakable things, Connor made everything okay.

With him Eva felt like a normal girl and not some monster forced to create evil.

A knock sounded on the door and Eva felt herself smile. Skipping over to the door, she opened it with a small curtsy.

Connor stood before her with a grin on his face. "I'm assuming you liked the flowers?"

Eva laughed and pulled him into the room. "Liked them? I loved them. You know I haven't seen a flower in years."

She pulled him into a hug. "I love flowers."

He held her at arm's length so he could look into her eyes. "I'm glad you liked them."

Eva grabbed his arm and pulled them onto her bed, so they were laying face to face. She had picked out the best of dresses to wear today. A dress made of a shining, silver silk that brought out the silver that laced her blue eyes. She hoped more than anything that Connor liked it. She wanted him to like her.

"I found something else for you." Connor said with a light blush.

Eva pulled herself against him. "Can't it wait? I don't want you to leave yet."

He wrapped his arms around her, sending warmth through every part of her body. She wanted to stay in his arms for the rest of her life. In a place where she felt safe in a world full of danger.

Connor's chest vibrated against her face as he talked.
"I think I have a way we can get out of here."

Eva didn't want to think about it. Trying to escape would put them in danger and Eva couldn't lose Connor.

He wanted her to say something, so she asked what he wanted to hear. "How?"

"The servants say there's a hidden passage in the castle that the king doesn't even know about."

Eva closed her eyes. "And it leads out of the castle?"

Connor nodded. "Yeah."

Eva didn't want to discourage him, but she needed the plan to be safe. She needed him to be safe.

"How far do you think we'll get before the king catches us? There's two guards posted at my door day and night. Surely they'll know we're gone before we even get out the castle."

Connor shook. "I can make a distraction or something. Maybe come running down the hall yelling that the kitchen is on fire and they need help. Then once the guards have left I'll come in and get you. We'll run to the secret passage and out of the castle. The guards don't normally look into your room. By the time they do we'll be long gone. Eva, this might be our only chance. We have to take it."

Eva didn't like what he was saying, but she knew there was no way to change his mind. "I know... it's just. I don't want to lose you, Connor. You know if we're caught the king will kill you." She shook her head. "If you die, I don't know what I would do."

Connor held her tighter. "It's okay. We won't get caught. My family's situation wasn't the only reason the rebel queen sent me on this mission. I was a thief. A good thief. Technically I've never been caught. I'm good at what I do. Eva, I promise I won't get caught."

Eva sighed against him. "Even if that means leaving me behind?"

Connor tensed beneath her. "Eva."

"No." She cut him off before he could continue. "If it comes between your life or my freedom, it's your life. I will not have you die for me."

Connor nodded. "Fine. If I have to I will leave you behind."

Satisfied, Eva changed the subject. "Now about that present you brought?"

Connor released her and stood up. "It's not much, but..."

He pulled out a small box and handed it to her. "Well...here just see for yourself."

Eva gingerly plucked the box out of his hand and opened it. Inside was the most beautiful charm bracelet she had ever seen. Made from Florencian sunstone and adorned with green emeralds, Eva gasped.

"Where did you get it?" She asked, slipping it over her hand.

"Oh, just a small shop in the market." Connor rubbed the back of his neck. "Do you like it?"

Eva couldn't stop herself as she jumped up and pressed her lips against his. At first he seemed uncertain, but when Connor started to kiss her back Eva knew she had done the right thing. Warmth blossomed like a flower inside of her and she shook with emotion.

She pulled back to looking into his warm, brown eyes. "I love it."

Connor blushed. "I..."

A knock sounded on the door making them both jump. "Is everything alright in there?" A guard called from outside of the door.

Eva gulped back her fear. "Yes!"

Gently she pushed Connor towards the door. "I wish you didn't have to go."

He nodded. "I know exactly how you feel."

Eva blushed. "Thanks again for the bracelet."

He nodded and grabbed her hand. "Eva. I know you don't like talking about it, but you need to be ready to leave any day now."

Eva closed her eyes and opened the door for him. "I know. I'll be ready."

Connor squeezed her hand before walking out the door and closing it behind him.

Eva pushed down her worry. She loved Connor and  she wouldn't let anything happen to him. They would make it. They had to make it.