Chapter #18 ~ Eva

Eva had never cried so much in her entire life. She had also never been out of her lamp for so long. Normally when a new master found her they would use their wishes quickly as if they are scared they might lose them. But King Florence wasn't a new master. He already had a genie, but Eva hadn't been allowed to meet him. Something about it being dangerous for two genies to be in the same place at once.

So Eva had been locked in her room, not allowed to come out until the king needed her to make a wish. She had a feeling she would never escape her new master. He didn't spend his wishes lightly, so Eva would be forced to stay in her room for days on end.

She was only allowed out once every new moon to create a new beast. Having to spend so much time in her room, Eva often found herself lonely and beyond bored. Her master hadn't left her much for entertainment. One book, a few papers with a quill and jar of ink, and clothes to occupy her time. Then there was the servants who came to give her food three times a day. They weren't allowed to talk to her or give her anything but food, water, and any living essentials she ran out of.

It was terrible! Being left alone with her thoughts all day! Thoughts that told her how terrible she was! Telling her she was a murderer. She was responsible for all the lives the beasts she'd created took. So many. Too many.

She couldn't stand it! Her master was cruel and all she wanted was to hide away in her lamp. But she was stuck. Stuck alone in her room with nothing to do, but cry herself to sleep. She was in a nightmare while she was awake and it refused to go away when she tried to sleep.

So she cried thinking it would make her feel better, but it only ever made her feel worse.

Eva was cocooned in her blankets when a knock sounded from the door.

Swallowing the lump in her throat, she called across the room, "Come in!"

It was probably just another servant who would give her some food, but completely ignore her. When the door opened she glanced up curiously.

The boy who walked through the door was new. He was dressed as a servant, but Eva had never seen him before. He looked to be about sixteen years old, the same age Eva would be if she were a human. He had light brown hair that fell to his ears in soft waves. His eyes were also a light brown and laced with rebelliousness. And he was tall, at least half a foot over Eva.

He held a tray of food, but didn't look inclined to put it down. He instead kicked the door close behind him. That caught Eva's attention. The servants never closed the door. They were always in and out real quick as if staying with her for more than a minute would kill them.

Blonde hair fell over her shoulder as Eva sat up and cocked her head to the side.

"You can set that over on the table." She said gesturing to a long dining table at the other side of the room.

The boy nodded and walked over to the table. Setting the tray down, he pulled out a chair and took a seat.

Looking over at Eva, he asked, "Aren't you going to join me?"

She didn't want to seem as eager as she was, but she feared he would leave if she didn't do something. Eva stumbled out of her bed and over to the table sitting in a chair across from him.

"No one ever talks to me!" She was shaking with excitement and had to grip her dress under the table so he wouldn't know. "I'm Eva by the way."

The boy nodded. "I know."

Eva wanted to know his name, but he just started at her blankly.
'Maybe he needs some prompting?' She thought and smiled.

"What's your name?"