Book 6⌇5. Nothing is a Secret

Chapter 5 ∣  Nothing is a Secret

-Adrasteia

Why does he do this to me?

I'm made perfectly for him...I guess my assassin's ability wasn't considered when fate chooses a pureblood vampire coven leader as my beloved.

Some kind of joke? That's the only thing I can think of.

After showering and blow drying my light brown hair and tying it up in a high ponytail, my clear blue eyes reflecting in the mirror of my own bathroom. Dressed in my tight dark pants and t-shirt, I laced my knee-high combat boots and slipped my arms into my trench coat.

The familiar connection to the shadows had come flooding back the moment I woke from my own bed, in my own bedroom...away from Landon. The liquid silver had run through my system, slowly disappearing from my bloodstream and allowing me to connect with the only side of me I could really trust.

Whatever happened last night, put a few things into perspective. Despite the fact I want to know why I had such vivid and erotic dreams. I usually can barely remember what my dreams were about by the time I woke up. But last night I could have sworn it nearly felt real.

The night air would clear my thoughts.

Resting my hand on the door handle to the cedar oak door, I breathed in deeply, the way Landon refused me brought anger and sadness mixed into a torrent sweeping through my body. I saw it in his eyes, it did hurt him, trying to resist the inevitable pull that so desperately wanted us to be together. Apparently, he just had so much more to lose then I did.

That's his excuse anyway.

Shaking my head, I opened the door inward and stepped out into the hallway, the coven alive as some members wandered the halls, while others were chatting and socializing. Closing the door behind me tightly, I released the handle, letting the metal slip from my fingers while I turned to walk to the grand marble staircase.

While others could rest somewhat easy, it was once again my due diligence to protect this coven. I know Landon wanted me to stick closer to the mansion, but I didn't agree with him. This would allow those beasts to move closer and find ways to break through our defenses. I wouldn't allow that to happen.

If you're going to refuse me, I'll refuse your order.

You may be my coven leader, but you're not acting smart...

Have something else on your mind perhaps?

My eyes snapped up from the dark marble floor, my heart stopping for a moment at the sudden thought that struck me. If I decided to follow through with my thoughts, that would be an invasion of privacy...but if he's acting this way, is it not okay for me to pry?

He may be able to feel me when I invade his thoughts...but he doesn't know where I physically am.

Spy?

Coming to the top landing of the stairs, I noticed Cleo, her short white hair was tucked back behind her ears, her distinctive amber eyes locked with Ryland. She had been talking with him so deeply when she saw me approaching them as they were sitting on a couch next to the top stair landing.

If I pry...I may not like what I find out.

Am I willing to break my own mortals of watching those who trust me with their lives to be watchful of the enemy? It's not like anyone would know...

Cleo smiled at me, standing to her feet in a knee-length red dress, her silver heels just making a faint click when she took two steps toward me. "Adrasteia."