Book 6⌇28. Shadow Soul Link

Chapter 28 ∣  Shadow Soul Link

-Adrasteia

The wind thrashed down against my body; the ground long gone beneath my feet. My right wrist was broken and my left one radiating with pain while Tyco kept a firm grip on them. My elbows were locked at ninety-degree angles, my breathing uneven as I tried to push away the pain.

The moment I was torn away from the ground, I quickly closed my eyes, afraid of the blinding sun that glowed overhead of the Dominion Plane.

"You should have been killed," Tyco's voice was filled with hatred, that it was my fault being brought here had thrown a curveball into his plan. "Now, I'm going to have two fractured souls. They'll kneel very quickly before me."

"What?" I was hesitant, not able to see him brought out the fear of the unknown from within me. My heart beat fast and hard against my chest, the feeling of Tyco's thick tail coiling around my waist putting me on edge. He tightened his hold, forcing a breath from my lungs as I gasped. His hands left my wrists, feeling one of them grab the back of my hair, pulling me closer and holding me steady. The other hand roughly snatched my chin, trying to force me to part my lips.

My lips pulled into a tight line, lashing my hands in front of me and hoping to hit him. He growled darkly when I managed to punch him in the jaw, "Fuck off!" His hand left my hair, entrapping both of my wrists in one large hand, the sound of his wings beating the air the only thing I could hear. Blood was pounding in my ears, trying to move my head to the side, but the hold on my chin switch to pressing on the joints of my jaw.

The pain shot through my mind and I cried out, feeling something creeping up from the base of my spine to the bottom of my skull. Every part of me that was arguing internally was telling me to just relax and let go. I couldn't though, if I let go, something bad was going to happen. I didn't understand everything in this world just yet, but this feeling was nearly the same Keegan had used on me when he took me from Earth. It was a calling, forcing me to relinquish the control I had over my mind.

"Leave me alone!" I sank my fangs into the webbed flesh of his hand, a growl and hiss emanating from the back of his throat. Tasting his blood in my mouth, I bit down harder, forcing him to falter his hold on me. His grip loosened and I pulled my head back before snapping it forward and colliding mine with his.

"Fine, you can die with his fragmented soul," Tyco's tail quickly uncoiled from around my waist, my breath catching in my throat as I felt myself falling.

I'm here.

I heard Tyco threatening Keegan with, "Save your 'mate' or save your friend's soul. Save your 'mate' or save your throne. It's your choice."

Oh no...Harlan.

The air that blew my hair ripped at my arms with the speed I was falling. I had no idea exactly how high Tyco had brought me and that scared me the most. There was no telling when I'd hit the ground and if Keegan had to choose...I couldn't let him save me and then have Tyco escape. He'd just come back with full force, taking a part of Harlan with him and he'd never be the same again.

Tears burned beneath my closed lids, trying to ignore everything around me. This hurt and I never thought I'd give my life if order to restore a balance that desperately needed it. With one assassin barely alive and the one who leads the rebels...this needed to end, not just for Keegan, but for their world.

I never imagined I'd care for this place, now, it was my home.

My heartbeat slowed down, relaxing my muscles and feeling the connection to the shadows. It's where I belong, where I have always belonged. My skin became transparent, the last binding tie to this material world was slowly dissolving.