Book 6⌇21. Link

Chapter 21 ∣  Link

-Adrasteia

It was only later when we woke the next morning, showering and getting ready for the day, when everything was said and done, that Keegan explained that when a soul is fragmented for a demon, that they lose their fertility. This was the reason why he asked because he'd given me a portion of his soul and in doing so, he had weakened himself to prove how much he really did care. He could no longer faze from this plane of existence, nor would his healing ever be up to par. Scars would be left behind if he should ever be wounded.

He gave up all that, just for me.

That was touching and meant the world to me, that he really was trying to show that he cared for me, maybe even loved me. He would have had to...to do what he did. Being the king of the Dominion Plane, when others discovered that he had bonded with me, they would surely try to attack again, this time knowing he would be vulnerable.

"Keegan?" I asked as he handed me clothes that were more suitable for my tastes, leaving behind his notion of objectifying me for my body. Instead, he revealed my assassin's clothes, the rips and tears having been mended, my boots laid out for me by the door to his--our bedroom.

Because of him not being able to heal properly, the faint scars left behind of my mark on his neck was visible. There would be questions and many wanting...no, demanding answers as we were only ever supposed to be bound by marriage as a wife and husband. Now we were bound by something much stronger...a mate bond and I already felt for him, for the first time he would experience me dissolving away into the shadows and leaving him behind. It would surely hurt his soul, as I knew a vampire's heart was torn, thinking their other half was ripped away from this world and killed.

At least someone is strong enough to believe in love and understand the bond that comes along with being tied to an assassin.

His gray eyes were glancing at me sideways, dressing for another day in the life and luxury of a king that was trying to be thrown over by a rebellion. Those rebels...even I hated them now, not with just the attempt on my life, but everything they stood for. No vampire would ever want to be brought back to a life like the one I had just had a taste of.

Though, hopefully the one I will experience alongside of Keegan, will be much better.

Queen.

A vampire assassin as a queen to an incubus king.

This was by far the most bizarre thing I could ever have imagined, though, it didn't fall too far away from what the vampire king's son would have had as a beloved when he one day took the throne. Rumors are a nasty thing and many covens had heard the news that his beloved was killed and that she was a succubus. I never believed that...until I found myself in this situation.

"You're going to be okay?" Pressing him further, his demonic form had receded, and I was left with a very strong, handsome man before me. Don't get me wrong...his demonic form was growing on me, but it was rather sexy...not handsome and I held that slight fear in the back of my mind that it could wreak serious havoc if pissed off.

"Of course," he reassured me, "After all, I do have Harlan and...Tyco."

"You can't seriously trust your adviser..." I scoffed, nearing the bedroom door and pulling on my boots, zipping them up on the sides and stating, "he blatantly lied to you!"

Keegan stood to his feet and nodded, "Wouldn't you though? The fear everyone feels around me here, it is warranted. I could easily kill any of them for any reason...without a reason even. So, of course, he was scared."

"Then what was he expecting? To have you not chase him once you noticed I wasn't in the room?" I arched a brow, standing to my feet as well.

"To be honest, I have no idea what would have happened if you weren't in my study. I'd seen you, but he didn't know that," Keegan continued, "though, I haven't felt his energy or his aura, so I'm sure he has fled somewhere, afraid to show his face."