Book 6⌇12. I'm Not Listening

Chapter 12 ∣  I'm Not Listening

-Adrasteia

"Do you have a name, or should I just refer to you as messenger boy?" I asked the demon leading me down the long hallway that I had previously attempted to escape down. His black hair was like Keegan's, in fact, almost every demon had darker hair. When his striking purple eyes glanced at me sideways, I saw a smirk form on his lips and I just sighed.

"My name is Harlan," he replied, keeping his hands stuffed in his pockets, crossing a small intersection of hallways, many other demons standing around and chatting. Some were brought from their conversations to get a quick look at us, and their eyes following our direction. "So, do you have a name, or do I just refer to you as Lady Vampire?" The amusement in his voice made me smile, finding someone with a sense of light humor was refreshing.

I shrugged my shoulders, the towel corners still in place by the shoulder straps of the halter top. "I dunno, I kinda like that actually. It makes me sound like more of a lady than I really am."

"Oh?" He questioned, "You're not really a lady then? Are you a crossdresser with nice assets?"

Well then, the light humor just pushed over into full-on sarcasm. "If you're referring to the women who sit around and look pretty all day, never lifting a finger, then no, I'm not a lady."

"Ah, I see," Harlan and I were nearing the entrance to the very large throne room, probably one of the only places I'd ever felt intimidated. "Now it makes sense why you eluded the guards with your techniques, though weakened you managed to outwit them."

"If I wasn't weakened...I wouldn't be here right now," I mumbled, my eyes peering out over a good number of demons standing in this large room. It was Keegan who was seated on a giant throne with another male standing at his side.

"Well then," Harlan chuckled, "It's a good thing for you I was off attending to other matters yesterday."

"And why is that?" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

Harlan turned his full attention on me before replying, "I'm Keegan's commander. I'm not sure what that equates to in your vampire hierarchy, but-"

"Probably the very same..." my voice trailed off as I unintentionally interrupted him, my thoughts roaming to that backstabbing bitch of a commander, Cleo. It was her fault as much as Landon's. She could have stopped him and told him how wrong he was being, what he was doing to us. She helped tear us apart and for that, I'll never forgive her for it.

You can't escape vengeance...

I'll come for you one day. On that day, I suggest you take your own life because I'll leave you far worse than you could ever imagine.

Harlan had said something else, but I barely caught a word of it, my thoughts clearing when Keegan's voice rung out across the room. "If they are rebelling, you'd think they would have the common demon's well wishes in mind."

"They're stealing!" One woman snarled, showing Keegan a basket, she had of what looked like missing goods.

A man growled, "It's not just food...they've also taken young members of families, poisoning their minds and taking them away. We don't need the vampires brought back to the Dominion Plane! We don't need to be fed off, humans sustain them enough."

"Why bring them back?" Another woman was close to tears, "They're much more violent and unpredictable. Why would they want to bring them here?"

So, it looks like he has his own problems here.

"Rebellion?" I asked under my breath, Harlan catching my word and replying, "There is many demons that have always hated the rulers of the Dominion Plane. The thing is Keegan's family was handpicked by Lucifer to rule over this section of Hell. I will agree that his father, the late King Bram, was a lot more ruthless than he needed to be, but Keegan is holding a good balance between many demons. There is a group of demons that want to see their own ruler seated on that throne, as well as bring back the vampires to where they originated from."