[Chapter 1] The Prophecy

-Sam's POV-

It was the year 2015 when the world was torn apart by war. Lands were left barren and desolate, resources became more and more limited as the days passed by, and populations were cut down drastically. The ones who survived were the ones who should've perished. But no, instead innocent people, like my mother, took their place six feet under. The remaining people have grouped together, for the most part, and with these groups, we fight for shelter, food and water that hasn't been contaminated, and our lives. Shortly put, the less people there are, the better off you are.

In retrospective, all of us are in the same place. We're just trying to survive until things get better. We all know it has to happen, but none of us are willing to make it happen. That was until one night, when I was sitting by the fire, having a staring contest with the orange and yellow flames. My knees were tucked into my chest and my teeth chattered against each other. This has to be one of the coldest nights yet. It's been 105 days since this whole thing started.

"Soon enough, Sam," My grandfather told me, returning from getting some small sticks from the rubble that sat beneath our feet, "Soon enough things will get better, I'm sure of it."

"Tell me the story again, Grandpa," I ordered, quite irrelevantly to his remark, "You know, the one about the prophecy."

He chuckled, "You never get old of that, do you?" He began to tend to the fire when he started. I closed my eyes and pictured myself sitting in a brightly lit living room. I sitting on the carpet with my older brother, Joey, playing with building blocks, our fairly young grandfather standing over us.

He bent down so that he was eye level with us and took the blocks out of our hands. Joey began to pout when our grandfather asked us, "Hey, why don't I tell you a story?"

The two of us lit up with enthusiasm, forgetting about the taken away blocks. He and I enjoyed hearing his story, even though it was the same one every time. Our little minds just soaked up every word he said, and it was a symphony every time.

He sat down on the ground and began, "No one knows this yet, but twenty years from now, the world we know today, in 1995, is not going to exist anymore. It's going to be a completely different world. No forests. No lakes. Nothing." Joey squealed in terror. Grandpa just smiled and continued, "Then there's the prophecy, the one who will save the world. Restore it to it's original state. The prophecy is a young, beautiful girl, twenty-two years of age. Alongside this girl is her handsome, older brother, twenty-three years of age. They are only to be freed, though, when an old man dies, and when that man dies, that's when the revolution will start. The prophecy claims that the girl will have to bring together two opposing forces, both very different from the men they used to be, but fails. Because the girl is taken over by the worst power of them all..."

"What power is it, Grampa?" Joey inquired softly.

"Love," Grandpa whispered in spooky voice, "And then the girl's going to have to decide over being with the one she loves and losing the world or not being with the one she loves and..."

"Oh my god, dad!" My mother whined and she stalked into the room, swooping me up into her arms, "Stop telling my kids that stupid-ass story of yours! It's so old and no one believes it!"

"But Penny, it's going to happen! I feel it in my bones!" My grandfather argued, struggling to get to his feet. Joey scurried out of the room and left my mom and grandpa to fight whereas I was trapped in my mothers arms.

"You know it's the reason mom divorced you," She coldly reminded him, "Because it's bullshit! There is no prophecy, dad. There is no girl and there is no boy. And the girl and boy are not my two and three year old."