[Chapter 5] Wage War

-Sam's POV-

I had slept in the trees near Ian’s camp, and may I say it wasn’t very comfortable. I don’t know how Katniss could do it in the Hunger Games… I was awoken by the sound of chatter and movement. I looked up first, and then down to see that Ian and his whole community were walking in formation beneath me. Weapons in hand and people shouting curse words at and about Anthony's camp.

I hopped down and landed right in front of my favorite person, Natalie.

She glanced down at me in disgust, “I thought you were supposed to leave.”

I stood up, "What's all of this?"

She crossed her arms. People walked around us and continued moving, "We're going to wage war. With Padilla and his army. Because of you."

"You're a...a...witch!" I yelled at her in a whisper, "You had to know this day would be coming soon!"

"Not this soon," She said as a tear ran down her cheek, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to fight with Ian and hopefully win," She pushed me to the side and joined the group.

"But don't you die?" I asked, turning around and squeezing my way through the crowd to keep up with her, "How can you win if you're going to die?"

She stopped in her tracks, "I'm winning for Ian. And with me dying, let's just say Ian will be able to return to his old self. And so will Padilla."

"What? How does that work?"

"You should know this if you're the prophecy," Natalie snapped back, "You know what? As each hour goes by, I'm starting to believe less and less in this 'prophecy' crap. The prophecy is supposed to know all, and not be as stupid as you are." I stared at her, speechless, "Here, just stay away while we fight, you got that? Ian will come back and talk to you later." And she blended in with the crowd, leaving me in the middle of this mess.

-Anthony's POV-

I frowned, "You're going to die?"

"I...I've been alive for so many years, Anthony," Rachael replied, "I've known all along that this was going to happen. And I...I can't change anything about it."

"Then why did you take this?" I snatched the empty syringe out of my hands and held it up to her face, "If you can't change anything, why did you take whatever was in this? What was it?"

She looked at her feet, "A temporary invincibility potion..."

I threw the syringe to the ground, the glass shattered into a million pieces, "You...you...you confuse me! One moment you're all like 'Oh, I'm going to die' and the next you're like 'Oh, I'm going and try to prevent it by taking this potion!' WHAT THE FUCK, RACH?" All I've done is give you my all..."

"That is nothing of what it's like!" She yelled at me, getting to her feet, "Ever since you took me away from my sister, you've done nothing but abuse me for your own good! And I couldn't walk away because..." Her cheeks were red with anger, "Because I'm bound to guide you the right way! And all you do is distract me from doing..."

I pushed her up against the wall, my arm blocking her airway, "You take what I do for you for granted, Rachael. So I'd shut the hell up before I kill you. Just. Like. Kalel."

"She...she did nothing to you, you bastard. You killed her out of spite." Rachael retorted hoarsely, "She was just doing her job. And I had to take her place. Just like my sister had to take Melanie's. You two are nothing without us."

"WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?" I boomed.

"I'm saying..." She mumbled under her breath before sticking her hand out and flying me back into a tree that stood alone in the desolate land around us. I slammed up against it and slid down the rough tree bark until I was sitting on the ground. I looked up at her and saw her eyes were glowing red, "I'm sick of putting up with you, Anthony Padilla. They said you would be a lot of work, and my god, you are." She started to walk away, "So go fight this war and try to break your curse, and see how well you fare without me."

"My curse?" I stood up, "Rachael? What are you talking about?"

She didn't look back at me; she just kept walking into the darkness.

"Rach!" I called, "RACH!" No response. Until she looked back at me, her eyes still red, with an evil smirk on her face. Then she disappeared into thin air.