[Chapter 2] Not Uniting With Him

-Sam's POV-

I couldn't remember when I fell asleep last night, all I know is that when I woke up, things felt...different. I sat up, the air was slightly warmer and the sky was a brighter shade of gray. The fire was now smoldered and gave off a faint, consistent spiral of smoke. My grandfather was no where to be found, and in his place was a small note that was flapping in the slight breeze that was passing through.

I picked up the folded up piece of paper and opened it. It read:

"Sam, you're smart enough to know my time has come. I'm leaving you fully knowing you will be the one to unite the west and the east and restore the world to its original state. Your mother was wrong, you are the prophet. Beware, the two men will be difficult to bring together, but it is not impossible. Remember, the past is key. I know you are strong enough, and I know you're ready Sam. Now go."

And the paper disintegrated in my hands and was blown away in the air. I heaved a sigh and began to pack up what little I had. There was my backpack, equipped with an almost empty canteen, some broken and unbroken arrows for my bow, a watch whose second hand didn't work, and a compass whose screen was cracked, my bow, and my grandfather's sword and sheath. Though I wasn't particularly good with the sword.

I slung the backpack over my shoulder, attached the sheath to my waist, and tightened my grip on my bow. I was heading west, deal with the more difficult one first.

As I made my way through the different terrains, I said aloud to myself what I knew about them, "They were best friends...They're YouTube channel was called Smosh...It started in 2005...They lived in California...The war separated them...They've been brainwashed...Anthony took over the west, Ian took over the east...Anthony killed his wife, Ian enslaved his girlfriend...Each had one of the two witches on their side...They do whatever they say...I am to fall in love with one of them and fail my mission..."

-Ian's POV-

My camp was rebuilding themselves from the last attack from Padilla just a few days ago. No matter how well I planned to protect myself from him and his army, even with new tactics, weapons, and the knowledge of his previous attacks, we were always defeated. He and his people were ruthless. And even though I hate to admit it, they've got the stronger of the two witches. But Padilla doesn't realize it, and he abuses her and only uses her for personal benefit. Unlike Padilla, I take care of Natalie, the younger of the two sisters. I treat her kind, feed her well, and put her first and foremost before my people.

I was watching as the group put together new shelters. Luckily my shelter, due to my supremacy, had been made to last when we first started this war. And after each attack, it was the only thing left standing.

Natalie walked up to me and tugged on my sleeve, "Ian?"

"Yes?" I inquired, looking over my shoulder at her.

"I have some bad news to tell you," She informed me solemnly, "Pertaining to the prophecy."

"The prophecy? Please tell me you are not speaking of the one with the girl and the reuniting of me and that...that Padilla fool," I would've said his first name, but I couldn't. It wasn't out of fear, but simply because I couldn't remember it. All I knew was that Padilla was my enemy, and we were sworn to be forever in battle with each other.

She nodded her head. I grunted in disbelief. "The prophecy has awoken, Ian," She continued saying, "The old man has died, and she's coming for you. But first she's going to Padilla, seeing as he's going to be the most difficult to handle..."

"I'm going to be just as difficult," I argued, "I'm not uniting with him. Ever." And I walked away into my shelter.

Natalie followed me, "And I'm afraid someone very important to you is going to die soon too."

I turned around, "No..."

She frowned, knowing she's the only one who is important to me.

-Sam's POV-

My feet ached and I was starting to become dehydrated, my canteen ran out and I hadn't found a water source in hours. I finally stumbled upon Anthony's base. Rows of tents surrounded Anthony's shelter and I walked in, only to find a girl crying in the corner. She was very thin and was bound to that corner with chains.

"Ex-excuse me?" I inquired softly, "Is this Anthony Padilla here?"

The girl looked back at me, her cheeks were wet and her eyes were bloodshot, "Who are you?"

"I'm Samantha. I'm here to persuade Anthony to make amends with Ian Hecox of the east..." Her expression changed from sad to worried.

"No...you can't be here," She stated, slowly rising to her feet, "You're not supposed to come for another few days! How are you here!?!" She screamed at me.

"WHAT IS GOING ON!?!" Anthony boomed before he descended the staircase and saw me, "Rachael, who is this...this girl standing before me?" He yelled at her.

"She's the prophecy!" She cried to him.

His eyes widened as he pulled out his bow and aimed it at me, "Get the fuck out of here, prophecy. I'm not uniting with him. I never will. And you'll never make me."

"Please, you need it. I need it. She needs it. The world needs it! Do you want to live in this place forever? Your wife will..."

"She's not my wife," He corrected me, "And she'll survive. Oh, trust me, she will. And so will I. Now get the fuck out before I shoot you and you die."

"No!" I yelled back, standing my ground.

He pulled the arrow back. And just before he let go, Rachael extended her hand out and must've cast a spell because the arrow turned to dust. He looked at her in anger, "What have I told you about using your spells on me!?!" He boomed at her, making his way down the stairs.

Rachael glared at him, "I didn't use it on you. I used it on your arrow."

He slowly approached her and smacked her across the face. Her head jerked to the side as her cheek turned a bright red. I covered my mouth in disgust as she clutched her cheek.

He shot me an angry look, "Get. Out!" He articulated those two words. I didn't move and he started coming towards me. That's when I ran. I kept running until I couldn't run anymore. I fell to the ground, my knees weak, and lay there. I was about to fall asleep when a bright light shone above me. I looked up and saw my grandpa, surrounding by a blinding white light.

"You must go back, Sam. Like I told you, you will succeed," He told me.

I shook my head, "No I won't, Grandfather. I didn't expect him to be that...that..."

"Difficult?" He finished my sentence. I nodded my head in agreement, "You can't give up. If anything, know this, Sam, the witch is on your side. She'll help you as much as she can."

"She did save me from getting impaled with an arrow..." I responded, fondly remembering what happened.

He smiled, "Go back. You'll do fine." And he disappeared. I looked over my shoulder and sighed. I was a good distance away from the base and I was exhausted. I pulled myself up and began to drag myself back to base.