[Chapter 3] Change Fate

-Ian's POV-

I started pacing back and forth, my heart beat racing and my breath coming out in quick, heavy bursts, "You...you can't die...you're a witch! You're supposed to live forever!"

"Now where the hell did you hear that?" Natalie asked me, "Because I don't recall ever hearing about a witch living forever."

I sighed, "I don't know. But I know you can't die! I love you and you are very important to me!"

She crossed her arms over her chest, "Well, you're not going to be the only one sad that day. And I'm not the only one going to die that day."

"That day? Which day!?! Who else is going to die? Who is else is going to be sad?" I inquired anxiously.

She sighed, "I cannot disclose that information to you, Ian. Because I know you and you will want to change fate," Before I could add anything, she continued, "which you unfortunately can't do."

"Oh, come on!" I begged, "I want to keep you safe, Natalie!"

Natalie shrugged her shoulders, "It's going to happen, Ian. And there is nothing that you can do about it."

I sat down in my throne and shook my head, "Can I have the slightest bit of detail as to how or why you die?"

She turned away from me and in a hushed tone, retorted, "My death is my own fault."

My eyes widened as I stood up again, "And...?" Hoping she would give me more insight.

"And I can't tell you any more," She told me with a slight smile. I rolled my eyes in disappointment and walked past her, "I can't believe you're going to die. And it's your own fault. Why can't you just tell yourself not to kill yourself?"

"Because I don't commit suicide," She snapped back at me.

-Sam's POV-

I hid behind someone's tent until night fell, and that's when I sneaked into Anthony's castle. I found the same girl crying in the same corner. I slowly approached her and tapped her on the back. She jumped and turned around. She was about to scream when I put my hand over her mouth, "Shh...I just need to ask you some questions."

The girl relaxed, her cheeks still wet from crying.

"Your name is Rachael, correct?" I asked her, sitting down on the cold floor. She nodded her head yes, "What can you tell me about Ian Hecox?"

She gulped, "I don't know much about him," She whispered, "But I do know he's the ruler of the east and that Anthony despises him. Something Anthony doesn't know that I do know is that he and Hecox used to be friends, you know, before the world ended. They made videos together."

I sighed, I already knew this. "And what can you tell me about Anthony?"

She heaved a sigh, "He's the ruler of the west. Unlike Hecox, he's willing to do whatever he needs to to get what he wants. For example, me," Her expression turned to hurt, "He separated me from my sister and locked me up," She raised her shackled wrists slightly, "He doesn't love me like Hecox loves my sister. I'm just Anthony's ticket to survival..."

"Tell me about your sister," I insisted.

She smiled slightly, "Samantha, I know you're the prophecy. And I know you already know these things. So why are you asking me?"

I sighed, "I need your help in reuniting the two men. You know Anthony's weak points, and once I talk to her, I'm sure your sister will be more than willing to share with me Ian's."

"My sister will not be as willing as I am to divulge information like the kind I have given you. She loves Ian, whereas..."

"You don't love Anthony," I finished her sentence. "Correct?"

Rachael frowned, "It's complicated."

"Please explain to me why."

She looked up the stairs quickly before continuing, "He takes his anger out on me, whether it's the loss of a battle or there was nothing for him to hunt. I'm always there for him to slap, punch, and sometimes cut," She turned around and unbuttoned the back of her dress to reveal a large scar down the middle of her back. She buttoned back up and spun back around, "But I can't help but stay with him and love him."

"How can you love a man who constantly uses you as his punching bag?"

"I think you need to ask yourself that question," She retorted with a sly smile, "It may not make sense quite yet, but as time goes on, I'd ask yourself that question again."

Suddenly, I became fearful. What if Anthony, this monster who harms this seemingly-innocent, claimed-to-be witch, is the man I fall in love with and fail my mission because of? "Umm...tell me more about this relationship you have with him. Besides the whole hitting and slashing," I remarked.

She bit her lip before answering, "He's changed a lot since the world ended. He didn't even know me before this all happened."

"How'd he find you, then?"

"I happened to be one of the few survivors who he stumbled upon. He saw me and, from what he told me, he fell in love with me. But then he found out I was a..."

"Rachael?" Anthony's voice echoed from upstairs.

I looked at Rachael and saw she went pale and was shaking. She glanced at me and murmured, "Please go. I don't want him to find you, Samantha."

I nodded my head in understanding and scurried out of that place. I peeped through the opening for a window, though, to see what was going to happen.

He approached her and knelt in front of her, "Are you alright? I heard you talking to yourself. Were you having a bad dream?" He inquired, wiping the tears off of her cheeks.

She nodded her head, "Yeah. A bad dream. Sorry to wake you."

"Don't worry about it," He kissed her on the forehead, "Goodnight," And he dragged himself back upstairs. That Anthony I saw there was not the one I first saw when I came here. This one made me smile. But the smile quickly evolved into a frown, realizing I was already starting to fail this task, like my grandfather had foretold. I was starting to have romantic feelings for him...

"Oh no," I mumbled under my breath before I ran away once again. As I settled down some place far away from everyone and everything, I made a list of things I need to accomplish. The first task being to stop having romantic feelings for Anthony.