Chapter 5- Realisations

Nonso's POV

It was past 9pm and the office was very quiet with all the workers gone for the day. I sat at my table observing every inch of the office including the interior of my fortitude as I liked to call every office I have ever owned.

I swung on my chair and took a sip from the glass of water I had gotten from the water dispenser standing beside the couch in my office.

It was just last week my father walked into my office in the United States and handed me a transfer letter. I wanted to object, God knows how I really wanted to. Just when I thought I had finally found my ideal life, the life I wanted, the position I had gotten the company to... just the time I was planning of making things permanent, probably get into a serious relationship, everything changed by a typed letter.

It was my responsibility, everything was my responsibility. The company, the family, after all, I was the first born and only son with two younger sisters - twins Audrey and Andretta.

I got off my sit and worked to the glass wall, over looking the city, which was dark with pretty lights hanging on the buildings.
My day started with me trying to get to know the staff, the people I would be working with, my new family as I liked to call my workers.
The tour was going great, from the IT department to the security, maintenance, the top managers and the HR department which was the last I visited. Then BAM! My day took a dramatic turn when I came face to face with the IT student who was under her table.

I thought it was unprofessional to crawl under the table, but when she bumped her head under the table and stood, I could not stop my heart from racing and just like that, I had developed a soft spot for her. Not just because I thought she was incredibly beautiful, light smooth skinned, round head, big gorgeous eyes that sparkled, with such small nose, I wondered if she could breathe with.
She was small and not exactly what Nigerians will call 'Lepa' because she had a little flesh which added to her poise. As she nodded at Mrs Ayobami, i caught a gold chain that fell neatly down her long neck and a small pendant that dangled above a little cleavage that peeped from her blouse. Yes she was beautiful but it was more than that. I couldn't explain it, so I had to call her to my office and she impressed me even more by the way she spoke so intelligently. Every passing second I spent in the office with her, I felt something different... something electric! I was sure of it when I touched her hand.

This wasn't happening to me I was loosing my cool, crossing the boss -employee boundaries. I had to snap myself to reality by standing up and walking to the glass wall which I now stood at.
I knew I had to talk to her again, I had to know her, know what made her happy and what made her sad. I wanted to hold her and whisper sweet things into her ears and tell her how beautiful she was.
Get a grip Nonso I scolded myself. I didn't even know her, she could be in a relationship for all I knew, after all i saw her embrace a guy right outside the office, just before she jumped into his car.
I gritted my teeth and walked back to my table and picked up my keys before grabbing my suit.
Was I jealous? No! I brushed the thought off. It could be lust or infatuation or something else because I had never felt like this for anyone. Not even Kimberley who I thought I really loved two years ago before she broke up with me because I didn't show her enough attention.

But this was different. Meka was different.