Chapter 14 Reconciliation

"You are back!!" I screamed as my brother walked in through the front door.
It was indeed a very long week.

"Yeah! I see you really missed your chauffeur." He replied as he dropped his suitcase and wrapped me in an embrace.

"How did your weekend go?"

"Errr..How else was it suppose to go?"

"Answering my question with a question. Hmm somebody is hiding something."

"What?" Oh God! oh God! "Why would you say that?"

"You tell me?" He picked up his suit case again and began walking towards the room.

"There is not much to tell big brother. We just went shopping and had dinner." Which wasn't a lie

"You don't sound like you had fun."

"Because we are not good right now."

"What's wrong?" He dropped his suitcase and untangled his tie.

"You should shower while I fix something for you to eat instead of been concerned about my relationship."

"Of course I am concerned I don't like what happened to you, when you broke up with Austin."

"Nonso is not Austin."

"So tell me what's wrong? "

"When I got to work on Monday I discovered Nonso fired the lady that started the rumours."

"So?"

"I confronted him about it and well, let's just say things didn't end well. "

My brother chuckled "why would you make such a big deal over who he fires?"

"Because he fired her on my account. I dont want such guilt bro."

"Then forget about it! He did it to show you how much he loves you. Accept his gesture and don't fight him over it. "

"But someone's career ended because of me."

"I am sure it was not just because of you. " he touched my cheeks softly before picking up his suit case . "I wouldn't mind eating that delicious fried rice of yours."

I laughed "good thing I prepared some . Would you like plantain too? "

"Put everything you have there!" He called back, as he stepped into his room and closed the door.

I went into the kitchen to serve my brother's meal, as I pondered on what he just said.  Maybe I was making a big deal about it all.

That night, as I lay in bed, I waited for Nonso's call but it didn't come again just as it had not been coming since our misunderstanding. He was really angry with me and now my brother spoke with me, I could reasons with him. If the tables were turned, I will be angry with myself.

I picked up my phone and dailed his number. Listening to the phone ring, I shut my eyes and waited for his velvety voice to wash over me but instead I got a disconnecting sound.

As I thought about how I approached him the other day, I felt childish and ashamed. Maybe it was time for me to come down from my high horse.

-------------****-----------

I stood at the gate looking at the grandeur of Nonso's house.  I had not been there since our first date and as I remebered the incident, it seemed like a life time ago. When really it was just four months.

I thanked the gateman and walked the length of the drive way to the front door as I rehearsed my apology. I am sure he isn't that mad at me. right ?