Chapter 18 Birthday and make up

MEKA'S POV

It was Nov 22nd and as I clutched my Samsung tablet tightly in my hands, I re-read the message I had typed.

I have so much to say to you, but this is not the time. All I can say is I am glad I met you. You will always be a part of my life Nonso, you touched my life in ways no one could. I wish you all the best. Happy birthday.

It was Nonso's birthday and after much deliberation, I had summoned the courage to send him a message on LinkedIn. It had been 3 months, 3 weeks, 5 days and 12 hours since I spoke to him last at his office with his dad. Oh yes I counted!

I had thought of contacting him someway, even if it was for us to just be friends but I couldn't get to type a message. I was stuck observing his updates on LinkedIn, like a crazy stalker and even if i was happy that he was doing great and making waves, I couldn't help but feel sad for myself.
Now that I had a perfect excuse to come out of the shadows and wish him happy birthday, I could not click the send botton.

I read the message again Maybe I should rephrase it.. did I use the right tenses and words?  Do I sound too emotional? I sighed as the door to my room burst open and my closest friend Amaka walked in, casually dressed and holding a small pile of books.

"Where is your room mate ?"

I shrugged as I continued reading over my typed message.

"I swear that girl is a typical gossip. I was talking to Somiari here one day, while we were waiting for you, and your room mate was pretending to watch a movie with an ear piece."

"How did you know she was pretending? "

"Because the movie was paused and she was concentrating on it like someone who was watching."

I laughed "I try not to gist about anything serious with her around because I know her type." I added.

"Does she still disturb you with the light at night?" Amaka asked, as she sat beside me.

"Yes!!" I dropped my tablet again in order to express my frustration."I swear I might just kill her one of these nights. Can you imagine? she sleeps all through the day and at night, when I want to sleep with the lights off, she will tell me 'she has to read'" I picked up the tablet again and looked over what I typed absentmindedly. what will he be doing at the moment? Will he celebrate his day with his sisters?  Will he be working late again?

"You are even trying by tolerating her, I would have requested for a room change."

"Tried that already. The hall officer said, room change is only for students with health challenges." I shrugged.

"Well, this will be disastrous to your health eventually,  if you can't get a proper night sleep."

I didn't respond to her statement and she decided it was a good idea to hit me with a pillow.

"Ouch! What's that for?"

"You are not listening to me." She grumbled.

"I am!"

"No you are not! By the way, what are you reading?"

Sighing, I dropped the tab on my bed and faced my friend."Nonso."

"Again?"

"Yes again! I can't get him out of my mind."

"I thought you said you were getting over him."

"Yes I was."

"But...?" She inquired.

"But, today is his birthday and I can't help but wonder what he is up to."