Chapter 9- Date

Nonso had just pulled up at the gate and began calling me.

"Babe, I am at the gate." He said once I picked up. He had started calling me babe a week ago and it was so enticing, I accustomed myself so easily to the name .

"Okay, I'll grab my bag and be out."

"Okay babe but I want to meet your brother."

"My brother?" I stopped in my track puzzled.

"Yeah! will that be a problem?"

"No! Not at all." I said happily. Nonso was such a gentleman and meeting my elder brother just proved him to be more than a gentleman.

I watched them from the dinning table as he shook hands with my brother and formally asked if he could take me out to play tennis and lunch afterward.

"Definitely!" My brother said. "Just bring her home before mid night."

My eyes nearly popped out at my brother's joke. But the two men just started laughing at me.

"I will bring her in time." Nonso said with a smile.

As we walked out of the gate, he opened the door and assisted me while I got in the car.

"You are beautiful" he said smiling gleefully.

"And you are also dashing." I complemented him with the same tone he used.

The ride to the court was smooth with the cool jamz playing softly from the CD player. Our discussion travelled from political views to family to wonderful memories and some pertaining to work. And when the song playing changed to an old song of Dbanj "fall in love" we sang together.

See i never thought that i'd find someone like you
that would capture my heart and there is nothin i can do.
see i used to brag to my friends that I'll always be a player, but since i set my eyes on you.
Omo you don make me fall in love.

We laughed in unison as the song played on.

"Your smile is adorable." He said which made me blush harder.
"Look there is it again." He touched my cheeks lightly.

"Stop it!" I covered my face with both my palm.

"You smile with only your front teeth you know."

"Yeah my donkey teeth." I said, like a sulking child which made him laugh.

"I still think they are adorable."

"Thank you." I said giving a big smile.

"Donkey teeth!" He teased.

-------*****-------

The court was beautiful; white nets, white markings demarcating the court, white rest benches under a green tent with low cut fresh green grasses.
The sun was high with a strong wave of heat that hung with a little fresh air.

Thuat! Thuat!
We hit the ball with the racket over and over again for more than an hour. Nonso was winning me 15-7. I dabbed my forehead with the little towel that was drapped across my neck and kept hitting the ball when I could.

Thuat! Nonso hit hard and it flew past my head. I signalled him a time out and walked slowly to the bench as I picked up a bottle of water, crunching it open.

"Are you okay babe." He said jogging up to me.

"Yeah I am fine. Just need water."

"Okay." He squatted and used his towel to gently wipe sweat from my forehead. My heavy breathing caught in my throat at his touch and his nearness.