Dream Catch Me - Chapter Thirty Three

Alex lead me up the stairs to our new apartment and unlocked the door's industrial lock on the front door. He threw the door open, revealing to me our new home. It had been transformed. The shell it was before, the simple white shell, was gone and the couches, cushions and other furnishings made it homely. I recognised the lamps I had taken from home and the throws over the back of the couches I also had nicked.

I also recognised the girl who came bounding out from what we had decided would be Alex's room. "Jane!" Ellie cried and ran over to me, attempting to give me a gentle hug. I chuckled and said hi. She was obviously caught up with what had happened and had also fully moved into our apartment, sharing a room with Alex. Ellie had brought with her sensible things, like heaters and shelving units, different to the decorative features we brought.

Alex nudged me slightly towards my room, "Come on, I want to show you your room" he insisted. He opened the door and presented my room. I hardly recognised any of the things that were mine. In the past two days, Alex had amanged to paint my old bed frame, now a fresh cream colour and gotten a new cover for it too. He had put up stylish curtains and made sure everything was in the right place.

"Alex!" I gushed and wrapped my arms around him. He was taken aback by my sudden gratitude but hugged me back anyway. "That's okay Jane, we wanted it to be a nice surprise! And something that didn't remind you of Ma's house." I turned to Ellie too, hugging her as a thanks too, acknologing that she also helped; there was no way Alex knew what kind of covers to buy. I may have ended up with spiderman or ben10 as a cover.

"Now, get into bed. You need to rest still," Alex ordered me, and lifted the covers down for me to slip into the bed. I hadn't bothered to change out of the sweatpants and tank top from Joe's house, so I gladly slipped right into the freshly washed sheets of my refurbished bed and new covers, snuggling down for an afternoon nap. I was starting to feel like an elderly person, next thing you'd know, I'd be wearing nighties and slippers.

The next two days were filled with many naps as I tried to catch up on lost sleep over the break. Mostly because Joe and I had spent the time working out the ins and outs of the business. Alex and Ellie waited on me hand and foot, even when I protested and insisted I did something, they both ordered me to stay relaxed. "Watch some tv on the couch," and "Go read a book in bed," were two of their favourite sayings over those two extremely long and painful days. I had fletch and Jaz visit me again, this time bringing gifts.

"Jane!" they screamed in unison as the flung open the door to the apartment. I jumped from their blaring outburst and dropped the remote that was in my lap, onto the ground. I held my chest as it raced, "Geez guys! Trying to give me a heart attack on top of what I've already suffered?" I joked yet they stood there awkwardly with pity stamped all over their faces. I rolled my eyes and invited them to sit down on the couches next to me.

"How've you been?" I asked them. I knew it was a mistake the second the question left my lips, but I did it anyway. I was told all the details of fletch and Jaz's past 10 dates during the break. Dinners, movies, go carts, mini golf, more movies and dinners, camping, tramping and swimming. It seemed they had completed everything there was to possibly do in this town in the past 2 weeks. I was astonished but was scared they would grow bored of each other because they had done so much. However, as I looked at the happy couple side by side I could tell they were in it for the long run.

"Coming to school on Monday?" Fletch asked hopefully. I nodded, "Well I intend to, but big brother may decide to send me for another nap at the last minute." I whined at how cooped I had been, but to honest I was grateful. I was so happy that someone was there to help me and support me. Not just Alex, but Joe, Fletch, Jaz and even Ellie. Last year, I'd never have thought that I'd have even 1 friend, let alone 5! And for that I blessed my lucky stars that something had gone my way.