Dream Catch Me - Chapter Thirty Six

I turned the pasta on my fork around and around. I twirled it mindlessly, yet thought how much my brain felt like that spaghetti. Mixed up and in no way able to be untangled. Why would Shannon have emailed me anyway? If we're going off how much she hated me, I didn't think she would have even emailed to warn me of a tsunami. But maybe I had got Shannon all wrong? Like I thought she had with me. I sat there still twirling my food around the bowl, not paying much attention to the people around the table.

"Jane!" Alex interrupted my thoughts, causing me to drop my fork on the side of the bowl. "Hello?" He waved his hand in front of my face, trying to see if I were paying attention. "What?" I asked him, scowling because he gave me a fright. I resumed eating, except actually eating this time.

"We were asking you why you look so worried." Ellie spoke up. I tried to shake off my bad mood and smile as I said, "Oh I'm just worried about this studying thing. But hopefully it'll be better with my new laptop!" They agreed and went back to their conversation about the party. It seemed they were more excited than I was. Ellie started to become all flustered, exclaiming there wasn't enough time to organise the party for tomorrow. 

"Tomorrow?" I asked a little concerned. "That's not that much time. Do you need some help? Want me to fetch some things from the shop?" Alex initially said no, insisting it was my party so I shouldn't do anything. But after I insisted it would be a nice study break he caved, asking me to go to the shop after dinner for some food. "Sure," I agreed. 

I tried to stay focused for the rest of dinner, but I'd be lying if I said that my mind didn't drift a half dozen times. I went to wash up the dishes but was stopped. "Here," Alex said, handing me some rolled up notes. "Get whatever you want, but be sensible about it. There'll be around 10 people here so get enough food." I grabbed the notes and my jacket and ran down the apartment stairs. it would be the first time I had left the apartment for the past day and a half. 

I stepped outside to find the air unusually warm, especially for the season. It was nearly spring, the time where the flowers started to bloom and trees would begin to blossom. While I liked winter, Spring was a nice change from the icy footpaths and snowy roads. I walked down the street towards the shop, noting how I didn't even need my jacket. By the time I got to the shop, my cheeks were no doubt a bright red, the colour of the shop sign.

I strolled through the aisles with my cart and picked off various foods. Crisps, drinks, finger food and other things I would consider to be 'party food'. It was hard to know, especially because I had been to very few parties myself. I had to go off what I had seen on television and movies to know what to buy. I was between the last two aisles when i decided I had grabbed enough food for the money Alex gave me.

I headed to the checkout and paid for the items. Needless to say I got a weird look from the young girl on the checkout, who looked at all my purchases and then to me with a very judging note. I guess she was wondering if the food was all for me, and to be fair I was at the shop by myself at night. I scooped up the five shopping bags in my hands that weighed me down and pained my shoulders slightly. I knew I wasn't able to carry all the bags home, perhaps only halfway. I quickly whipped out my phone as I placed two bags on the ground. I texted Alex to pick me up, and almost got an instant reply. 

I pushed the cart back where I got it from outside and walked across the small parking lot to the wooden bench that looked over the shop. The air was still humid and warm, but now the moon was peeking out from behind some small foggy clouds. It illuminated the carpark and highlighted the small number of cars. My mind began to drift again, Shannon's warning didn't make sense. Why would she feel the need to warn me? Lewis was a teacher, I doubt he would do anything drastic to compromise his job and the cover for his gang involvement.