Dream Catch Me - Chapter Forty Nine

Jane's POV

-

The blue and green handle of the razor had indents where it was designed to be held but that's not what I intended to do with it. I wondered how much force I would need to break open the plastic case around the blades. A lot apparently.

I tried with all my might, willing my hands to have more strength than I was able to give but it would not break, not even a crack or a small snap. The robust little razor was teasing me, and I felt like throwing it away and out of my sight. Yet I couldn't do that, knowing that the razor could be my ticket out of the basement. I spent god knows how long bending and stomping on that blue plastic. It was only a disposable razor too!

I took off my shoe, surprised Lewis hadn't done that earlier, and used the strong heel of my converse to smack down on the razor. The plastic didn't shatter like I'd hoped, or even snap the head of the razor off. It remained untouched, as if I hadn't spent hours trying to pry the blades from its grasp. Finally, I threw the small plastic contraption away from me in a rage of fury, and sent it gliding through the damp air and into the stone wall.

It quietly shattered to the ground, and as I looked over I saw it still remained in one piece as I hadn't picked it up from the bathroom. I sighed and put my head in my hands in defeat. For the first time I was in the basement, I cried because I was scared. I cried because I thought I might never get out. I cried silent sobs that I knew would leave me feeling vulnerable. Fat tears fell down my cheeks and I sank down onto the cold floor until my back was against the ground.

I cried over everything in and out of the basement. Joe, Alex, my Father and especially knowing it would be unlikely I would get out. If there were people looking for me, they'd eventually give up and go back to their lives and leave me as a figment of their memories.

My crying had started at the razor, and I refused to let it keep me crying. I stormed over to it where it sat beneath the wooden shelf and picked it up, turning it over and over in my hands. I stood up from where I was crouched and hit my head on the wooden shelf. I rubbed furiously on the spot where I hit my head, but as if there was a light bulb had appeared above my head, I thought of an idea.

I reached up towards the shelf and wiggled it, using both hands. It came loose from the wall, only held on by a bracket that was poorly put on. The screws came loose from the stone and as I pulled one last time I stood there in the basement holding a wooden shelf. A grin spread over my face as another idea came to my mind. I threw the razor on the ground, positioning it for impact. I brought the end of the plank of wood that was the shelf down onto the head of the razor.

It skimmed around the basement floor, squeezing out on impact and bouncing around the room. I went over to where I found it close to the stairs and brought the wood down on it again. This time, the head of the razor came free and the handle went flying around the room.

I didn't bother finding the handle, it wasn't important. I concentrated on the head of the razor and hit it with the shelf again and again until I was satisfied I had done the job. I bent down to pick it up and noticed the shelf had done the trick. The blue plastic that encased the three blades was cracked and had come apart from the blades. It took no effort at all to finish it off as I flicked my fingernail under the cracked plastic and collected the three blades in my palm and watched them reflect around the room under the light bulb above me.

I held them in my bad hand, as I used my good hand to pick up the shelf and leaned it up against the wall beneath the stair case out of sight and out of mind. I scoured the floor for bits of plastic and threw them too under the staircase where I knew Lewis wouldn't look. My tears were long gone and all that remained was the feeling of the dried tears on my cheeks and my slightly raw eyes, but had now been replaced with a grin and a sense of hope with the blades clanking together in my hand.

They weren't big, only about the size of half my longest finger, and I didn't know what I was to do with them yet but a plan would come to me, and when it did I wouldn't need to wait any longer. I shuffled the three blades around in my hands, transferring them carefully from one hand to the other. They were sharp and I had already experienced a small cut to my knuckle; nothing in comparison to the cut Lewis had given me.

My mind was churning out different ideas, running them through what could happen and spitting them back out as fast as they were going in. I wandered over to the papered over window to look outside, and only noticed that it was still light outside, and the sun was only just beginning to fall from the sky. Time went so slowly in the basement, with nothing to do.

I paced around the basement with the light bulb still on and tried to think of a feasible plan that would work. I thought of stabbing, cutting and springing on him when he came down next. I wondered if I could take him down, would my weight thrown at him would bring him down. I was in deep thought when I heard a sudden noise from upstairs. At first I didn't know if I heard it correctly, and strained my ears for another sound. Feet jogged down the stairs at a fast pace.

I panicked, and grasped the blades in my hand so hard they almost cut the skin on my palm. I quickly jumped up and pulled the cord of the light, plunging the basement into darkness again. I got over to the window and papered over it again. As I heard the footsteps come closer and there was no doubt in my mind that he was going to come down and visit me again.

I thought of my most feasible plan so far and put it into action, hoping like hell it would work. I heard the lock on the door click open and it swung open. "Jane," he said bluntly. "I heard a noise, what are you doing." His footsteps ventured down the old stairs and stopped before he reached the bottom. "Where..?" He trailed off, not seeing me anywhere in the dark basement. I peeked from where I was hiding as he reached up and pulled the cord to turn the light on.

I watched as he squinted against the harsh fluorescent light and continued to look around for me. I felt my heart beat uncontrollably, and I knew that if I didn't act now, I would chicken out. I waited until he was in the position I wanted him in, and that's when I pounced.

I used the remaining strength left in my legs and jumped as high as I could until I had managed to wrap my arms around his neck and hold on tightly, slightly choking him as he struggled for his balance. Lewis crashed into the wall on his side, crushing me as he did so. We groaned in unison but he began to fight back. Lewis went to reach out with one of his hands up to where my arms were wrapped tightly around his neck. He was making a gurgling noise as he struggled for breath and I used this to my advantage.

His hand tried to snake up to remove mine, but as he did I used the blades positioned in my hand and brought it back and sliced his hand slightly. I dropped one of the blades as it clanged slightly sgainst the ground and he yelped grasped his hand, but I wasn't done there. I used another one of the blades and nicked him on the chin, causing him to throw me around while still on his back.

I felt like I was conquering a dragon, or a best. And in a sense I was. This beast had kept me holed up in the small basement, denying me to fresh air and light while he used me for his own sick pleasures. I felt a surge of happiness as I was hanging from his neck, which worried me, what had happened to my sanity? I brushed it off, as he thrashed violently and grasped at my hands for air.

His hands were covered in blood where his chin had dripped and the nick on his hand was pooling and dripping to the ground. I sliced once more on his hand again this time harder than I intended but it sparked what I knew was my opportunity. Lewis yelped again and I released him and he dropped to the ground, gasping for breath and grabbing at his cuts to stop them bleeding. I almost laughed at how pathetic he was, those cuts combined were nothing compared to the one giant one he gave me.

As he was doubled over catching his breath I used that opportunity to sprint up the stairs. Being immobile for a couple of days meant my legs were weak and I struggled to get up the stairs at a pace I needed to escape from him. I got to the top of the staircase, not taking even a mere second to revel in the light and fresh smelling air. I recalled the route out of the house and started to follow it, confident Lewis was still down in the basement.

I got to the front door, painted a deep black and twisted the handle. I pulled but only to realise it was locked. I fumbled with the locks, finding it difficult as you would in anyone who's house locks were different. I turned the lock while turning the door handle and the door opened. I gust of fresh air hit me, and it smelt sweet. Sweet like freedom. My heart was beating so loud that the blood rushing in my ears blocked out any noise.

I took a shaky step outside, but didn't take another. I felt a hand snake out from behind me and wrap itself around my neck from the front and yank me back inside the house. The door was slammed as I too was slammed to the ground, dropping the blades I was still gripping in my hand. The fresh air was cut off, but a chill settled in the air as a bleeding and furious Lewis stood over my weak body crumpled on the ground. His eyes said it all, I was in trouble.

I was so close to freedom, I didn't comprehend what could've happened if I didn't make it. I thought that I would get free, and once I was free I'd run. But I was going no where. Mr Lewis stared down at me breathing hard as his glare made me cower away.

"I wouldn't have done that." He hissed at me and jumped. Like just the other night I was pinned again under his body, but this time there was no mercy, he gave me everything he possessed. I squealed a high pitched scream as he got up from where he had pinned me and grabbed hold of my bad arm. He yanked it hard, knowing it was my weakness and played it in his favour.

I screamed as a burning fire ached around my bones as he pulled me up to my feet. I had no choice but to follow him as he lead me up the stairs, almost pulling me faster than me feet could allow on the stairs. "You're a stupid girl Jane." He commented, using my real name and sending shivers down my spine, adding to my existing pain. "Now you're going to be taught a lesson."

He snapped his head around to look at me, and his glare was filled with angry lust. Lust. He dragged me through to a bedroom but I didn't have time to realise the details or pay attention before he had thrown me down on the white bedspread. In a flash Lewis had pinned me down again.

It was like I knew what was coming next, and I used my last opportunity I had to call for help. I screamed as loud as I could, hoping someone would hear me, whether that be a neighbour or a passer-by. I used up the last inner strength I possessed and pushed it all into my scream. I felt my throat contract as I let out an almighty scream. Lewis seemed to cringe as the noise hurt his ears but I didn't stop.

I cried out using the last opportunity before his hand came down and slapped me hard against the face, cutting my guttural scream off.