Dream Catch Me - Chapter Forty Two

I'll admit that Alex was right; it did take me a long time to get ready for the party. It was where I knew I would have to make a good impression for the business, especially because Wes had lectured us on customer service and bringing in business. While I had slept through most of it, I knew I had to make that impression.

I had put on a sleeveless, black dress that was high along my neckline and stopped mid way down my thigh. It was flattering and suited me down to the ground. It was a modest dress that still had a small amount of interest. I wore it with my classic converse but a black low cut pair. I let my brown hair fall down my back in waves and I felt it tickle the back of my arms as I moved.

My bruises were virtually gone, with yellow blots still visible on my stomach and a small one beneath my eye. However I had made sure that it was covered up fully for the party, and put on black mascara and red lipstick to match. I felt like I was trying too hard at first, but I put the doubts to the back of my mind as I simply changed the shade of lipstick to a less outstanding colour.

I looked myself up and down in the mirror and agreed that I looked decent enough to be presentable for the party. But the time I had finally managed to put myself together, the guests for the party had started to arrive. We had invited local people and other business owners in the area to start off the party, and Wes was hoping that more people would show up later on out of interest.

I walked down the apartment stairs to the sound of soft Jazz wandering through my mind as it played at the party. I entered the shop and heads turned my way. At first I had noticed at least five males look my way, but I guess they had been expecting Ellie who had already made herself welcome in the neighbourhood. I smiled sheepishly and made my way closer to the party.

"Jane!" I heard a cry from my left. When I looked towards the person I was tackled into a hug of flowery perfume and silk. "You look beautiful tonight!" June cried as she released me from her deathly grip. For someone who had been poorly and is still looking off, June sure knew how to hug. June held me at an arm's distance and looked me up and down before looking over her shoulder to where I had realised Joe was standing.

"She looks beautiful doesn't she?" June asked. Joe stuttered through his words finding the right response as I visibly saw as he looked me up and down, and his Jade green eyes filled with nerves. "Ah," he stuttered again. "Doesn't she?" June asked again with a stern tone to her voice. "Yes," Joe admitted and looked up towards the ceiling as I saw his face light up red at being told off by his grandmother. June smiled in satisfaction and squeezed me into another hug.

"Thank you Jane," June whispered softly in my ear while she held her embrace. "You did our dream proud." A tear sprung to my eye and a lump formed in my throat as June became sentimental and thanked me for the transformation. Without saying anything, I simply hugged June back with such emotion it would've made me stutter like Joe. "You're welcome," I eventually whispered back and pulled away from June.

"It was my pleasure. I mean look at this place! It's amazing!" I gestured around the room and all the parts of the shop that gave me pride before, once again filled me up and boosted my confidence at seeing what I was able to achieve. "Obviously with the help with Joe and Alex, not to mention Wes." I looked over to Joe and with my new found confidence smiled at him. It took him by surprise and his mouth gaped open before he half smiled back slightly embarrassed. "You make a good team," June stated and looked between the two of us. If only she really knew what was happening. She wouldn't think so then.

"I must go, I'm sorry Jane. I have another early morning appointment tomorrow and need rest as the Doctor has demanded." I nodded understandably and embraced her in another hug. Already the night was young and I had been hugged, hugged and been complimented. It was almost overwhelming but I knew it would be a long few hours before the party would wind down. Joe lead June out of the store and over to a taxi service, while I met up with Alex as he went to replenish his glass.

"This is going good," I pointed out the number of people here. Alex nodded and took a sip of his drink. "I feel like high-fiving you again, but now is probably not the time. I'll save it for later." He took another sip with a serious face as he tried to come across as in control and mature in the shop. Wes walked up to join us but immediately turned to me. "Jane I am so sorry letting Alex know about Joe. It slipped my mind I swear!" I watched as Wes, whom I knew as a man, was trying to be for my forgiveness for something that was bound to happen sooner or later.

I giggled and brushed it off. "It's okay. If you didn't do it, then who would've." I glanced over to Alex who was taking another sip of his drink and scowling at nothing in particular. I ignored his reaction and turned back to Wes. "I guess I should thank you actually. It just goes to show who is actually willing to stick around when things get tough." I commented thoughtfully. Wes had a look on his face as I looked up after finishing my sentence. There was no other way to describe the look other than 'he's right behind you'.

And as I spun on the heel of my converse, I came face to face with Joe. His green eyes were piercing mine and I looked down guiltily. "Jane, I need to talk to you." He mumbled and grabbed my arm forcefully, dragging me towards one of the book nooks in the book section of the store. Joe pulled me down to sit on one of the small couches next to him and he turned to face me before he put his face in his hands in defeat.

"Jane, I'm sorry. Over the past week I've been horrible to you. Please take me back as a friend? I heard what you said to Wes, and I know you're right and I know I shouldn't have backed away. So please?" He asked hopefully, moving his hands from his face and clasping them in front of him. I saw in his face that he was desperate. I saw the look of regret I had caught a glimpse of in class and now read it as how he regretted ignoring me. But one question lingered in my mind; did he regret what he did?Did he wish it had never happened? I sure didn't. In fact I wanted to feel his supple lips on mine for the rest of my days, and feel the soft stubble on his chin run gently across mine for as long as we both lived.

But seriously? A 'friend'? Even the very word was like a shock to my heart, and I instantly regretted the kiss myself; especially if it was going to cause the amount of pain I was feeling in my beating chest. I wanted to be more than friends, but struggled to tell him what I wanted. But for me it was either all, or nothing. I couldn't hang around and wait anymore, waiting for Joe to suddenly change his mind and realise his burning love for me. "Do you like me? As more than a friend?" I asked him boldly as I found the last shred of confidence from my earlier boost, and watched his face transform to worry.

He gulped and opened his mouth, but no words came out. Nothing. I waited for as long as I could, until I knew that the tears were inevitable as they welled involuntarily in my eyes. I clamped a hand over my mouth and ran out of the book nook and through the hoards of people, all too busy in their conversations to see me. I pushed past the group standing near the door and opened the large glass door. I was hit with a wall of fresh air, a cool and chilly air that froze me to the bone. Tears were pouring silently down my cheeks, and I wiped them furiously to try not to smudge the running mascara any more than I had already done.

I briskly walked a while down the street until I was out of view of all the party guests. By then the hot tears were streaming down my face and collecting in a drop at the peak of my chin. I took a deep breath that quivered. I continued to walk just a little bit down the street in an attempt to clear my head. How could Joe keep playing me? He confessed his love for me not even two weeks ago, and now he wants to go back to being friends, even though we only have 4 more weeks of school to endure. Another tear made it's path from my eye to the corner of my mouth.

The saltiness of the tear leaked into my mouth, and it contrasted to the sour feeling I had residing in my heart. People always complain about how difficult girls can be, but to be honest,boys can be just as confusing. I had cleared my head enough to walk back to Walton's, the cool wind helping to sober me up. I was strolling casually when a large black figure jumped out in front of me. I squealed in fright, and started to scream as I recognised the dark black eyes underneath the balaclava stretched on his head.

"Finally," he grumbled and pounced on me. His weight almost caused me to crumble underneath him, but I managed to slip under his arm and run a few steps closer to the shop, now at the edge of the window, before he caught my ankle from where he fell on the ground. I went sprawling arms first and as my wrists made contact with the pavement, I heard one crunch unnaturally. I ignored the unbearable pain the was spreading up my arm and tried to wriggle free from his iron grip.

"Oh no you don't!" He grumbled again in his low voice. Instead of pulling my leg from him I tried to do the opposite and sent it full force back his way. My converse clad foot smacked him in the forehead and stunned him. His grip loosened and I managed to run forward another couple of steps, now visible in the window and hoping anyone would see. I tried to get someone's attention before I felt a mass of weight on my back that dragged me to the ground. I hit my head on the concrete only enough to stun me and make me feel dizzy, but I could feel a trickle of warm liquid running down my forehead where I knew it made contact with the ground.

I was temporarily immobilised. It was enough time for him to pin me down, stand up and pick me up. He slung me carelessly over his left shoulder and gripped me so I couldn't move. My mind was still slightly foggy and I tried to fight him off, but this time it was useless. My wrist protesting any time I put pressure on it or tried to hit him. I prayed that someone, anyone, was watching and was coming to my rescue. But I doubted it. No one had noticed when I had pushed past or thrown open the door.

He started to walk towards the road as I meekly tried to punch him. He simply chuckled at my pathetic attempt and continued to walk. With a low thunk of the car I knew he was opening the boot, and immediately I recognised my fate. I was being kidnapped. I wouldn't want to be remembered as the girl who was kidnapped and did nothing to fight back, so I refused to go down without a fight. It was fight or flight, and at that moment I chose fight. I mustered all the strength I had left and screamed, while simultaneously sending one final punch to the back of his neck. At first he chuckled again, at my pathetic attempt of screaming but as I landed the punch that connected with one of his vertebrae, he was stunned and let me drop to the ground.

I became even dizzier, as I dropped to the curb on my side. He was rubbing his neck furiously, trying to rid the pain I had inflicted on him. I took that opportunity to start scurrying away as stealthily as I could. Fight or flight. I was becoming more dizzy, making me clumsy. I managed to find my way onto the path right outside the shop and glance up before I felt an arm scoop me up and found myself being thrown over his shoulder again.

I heard the squeak of the boot as it opened fully. I lifted my head before I was thrown violently into the boot and caught sight of something, or someone that would give me hope. Joe was squinting through the window, and upon realising it was me, he began to sprint outside. I didn't have enough time before the boot was closed to see what he did. A quick slam and start of an engine caused a sense of urgency in the air. Mr Lewis' car tires squealed against the ground and I was throw to the front of the boot as he sped away.

I cursed myself, knowing that a situation like this was likely, yet I still went outside by myself. I started to panic, thinking of what he would do to me. Would he beat me? Keep me as his slave? Or even worse? Situation after situation ran through my head and my breathing picked up immensely, until I found myself having a panic attack. I started to bash on the top of the boot and scream loudly.

He had slowed down and was probably trying not to raise suspicion. I felt the car pull over and the door slam. I hit the boot again and again screaming at the top of my lungs, in the hopes that someone, just one person passing by would question it. The boot suddenly opened and I was met with the black glaring eyes of Mr Lewis. I almost whimpered at the mixed amount of pride and anger.

I ceased my opportunity again at the open boot and screamed so loud Lewis had to cover his ears. It wasn't until it was too late that I saw the crow bar held tightly in his hands. I saw as he raised it above his head and watched as it came down into the boot. I had no time or space to move or dodge the blow, and as it hit my temple I was out cold in the boot of a madman.