Daily Nightly

Recap
"Michael, for the last time, what are you going to tell me?" I asked seriously

"Valleri," he cleared his throat and cupped my cheek  "Your father's dead."

      I looked at him for what seemed to be a good couple of minutes, not processing his words correctly. His voice was ringing in my ears, I could feel my heart practically trying to bound out of my rib cage. I didn't know what to say.

"Val?" Michael asked, searching my face for any kind of expression

"Michael stop, don't joke like that," was all I could manage, denial seemed to fit well into this situation

"Valleri, I'm not joking," Michael said softly, moving slightly closer

I sat there beginning to chew on my lip holding back any sign of weakness. Crying wasn't my thing, but at the same time it felt right to just let my emotions ride out on my tears. I looked up at Michael, trying to speak but it only came out as a squeak. He sighed and pulled me into his arms, which I welcomed fully.

"How?" I asked

"How what?"

"How did he die?"

Mike thought for a moment, probably putting the right words together in order to make this sound less painful then it really was.

"Accidental overdose."

Guess I was wrong.

"What? Over dose on what?" I asked in disbelief

"Pain medications, apparently something had happened before that was giving him really bad headaches?" Mike said

"Car accident," I nodded "A month or two ago."

We sat in silence for a minute, unintentionally my hands clung onto his shirt and without warning I cried. I sat in his arms and I cried for what seemed like the first time in forever. We just sat for hours, letting our thoughts dissolve one after another. And he didn't say a word, but I still felt completely comfortable.

Later

Michael left me alone to give me space to think, and I did a lot of it. None of the boys had come to see me all day other then when Mike came to tell me obviously. I slept for a good portion of the day, so most of the day was a blur to me anyways. How do you react to something like that? What do you do?

As I had my face pressed into the pillow, my ears perked when I heard the doorknob twist. My first instinct was to tell whoever it was to go away, but even in my darkest hours I didn't want to be an asshole. I felt someone sit on my bed and a heavy sigh escape their lips, instantly I knew who it was, Davy.

"You okay?" He asked after some silence

I mumbled a response and he sighed, laying down next to me now. I could feel the tension in his body, Davy and my father spent a lot of time together, my father was big on horses and when Davy decided [for a short while] that he wanted to be a jockey, my father was over the moon. They'd get up early and go ride the horses together, even after Davy stopped.

I opened my eye and looked over at him, I spent so much time focused on Mike that I completely forgot abut being with Davy. Him and I were like brother and sister as children, when he left for America I was heartbroken. Mike distracted me, I even forgot about the music career I wanted to pursue.

"Y'know," Davy started "You're not the same little girl that used to hang around my door every day."

I took my eyes off of Davy and sighed, "What am I then?"

"You're a woman now, all grown up," he said, letting a soft chuckle out

"If you can call it that," I shrugged, "Everybody's got to grow."

Our conversation continued, talking blissfully about the past. I think it took both of our minds off everything. Id be flying back for the funeral next week, Davy would be coming too, and I think I'd like to bring Mike, I felt quite homesick anyways.