Chapter 16: Nu-uh

《 Song: Lose Yourself by Eminem

The weekend went by in a flash. Marshall was called to work because his boss needed someone to work on the weekend.

So I haven't seen him since Friday, but today is Monday and my mother is coming to stay with me for a week or so. I'm going to pick her up from the airport.

Laurie and I get into her car and I let out a long exaggerated sigh.

"You ready to see your mom?" Laurie asks me while keeping her eyes locked on the road.

"Nope." I popped the p. My mom is just complicated.

"You know how judge-y she is." I complain.

Laurie laughs, "yeah."

"I haven't even thought about how I'll tell her about Marshall. I just hope she won't freak the fuck out at the fact that he's white. She's just so annoyingly blunt." I say.

"Yeah like when she first met me. She was like, 'Natasia you got a white friend! You are so beautiful! Are your eyes green? They look good. Dont think because you got a black friend you can say the N-word." Laurie rambles mimicking my mom's voice.

"She's cool though." Laurie looks at me. She notices my straight face.

"Relax girl. You haven't seen your mom in about a year. When she gets here just have fun with her you know." She suggests.

"Mhm." I really do need to relax and stop stressing out over little things.

When we reached the airport my mom was standing outside where we told her to and Laurie and I walk out to grab her suitcase and bags.

My mom is lightskin but a little darker than me and she was slim with thick thighs and she's pretty short. We're the same height and her hair is in a pixie cut. She's wearing a plain pink V-neck shirt with light ripped jeans and sunglasses.

"Tassy you look so grown, I can't believe it's only been a year! You're beautiful." She kisses my cheek and hugs me.

"Thanks. You look great too mom, you look healthier than the last time I saw you." I grab her suitcase and one of her bags to carry in the trunk.

My mom gasps, "I know right! Life is good when you ain't stressing. Laurie! Jesus Christ you're still getting taller. I didn't think it was possible."

"Good Evening Miss. Wells." They hug and Tassy carries her other bag.

We were all sitting in the car and it was quiet for a while until my mother spoke up.

"So what's been going on with y'all?" She asks.

"Nothing really. How long are you staying?" I know it came out rude but I really don't need her weighing me down.

She waits about a minute to answer me, "1 week, but you clearly dont want me here so I could earlier."

Ugh! I pinch the bridge of my nose," It's not that I don't want you here it's just that I have a lot on my plate right now."

"What stuff you got on your plate?" She asks, "I already paying your rent, which I shouldn't be doing. Your ass grown, you should pay your own bills."

I suck my teeth out loud. Now if I was younger my mother would have slapped the shit out of me but I dont think she'll do it now.

"Don't be sucking your teeth at me! You lucky I won't slap the shit out of you." She rolls her eyes at me. To be honest I dont even know why I'm so pissed at her. Maybe I'm sad because my dad isn't here but I dont want to acknowledge that.

"Okay. I'm sorry. I'm just a little cranky." I sincerely apologize to her.

"Well dont be taking your crankiness out on me. I just came here." She says while pulling her makeup kit out of her bag and taking out lipstick to re apply to her lips.

"So how's dad?" I finally grew the courage to ask her.

"He's alright." She says still staring into her mirror checking her makeup.

I nod and the car ride was quiet until we stopped for food at McDonald's and were dropped off at my house. Laurie left because she said that she was meeting up with someone.

"Wow. You actually clean up after yourself now." My mom says while looking around at everything. I groan on the inside but I don't say anything out loud.

We carry her bags to my room and we sit on the coach watching TV and eating our food. We stayed in the same spot until it was dark. The lights were off and we chilled underneath a huge blanket.

A Love and Hip Hop Atlanta marathon was on because a new episode was coming on.

"Nu-uh! Who is this thirsty ass hoe?" My mom yells at the TV screen at the girl who claimed she had Stevie's baby.

We both gasp when the woman admits that she didn't have Stevie's baby and that she was just looking for fame.

"I knew it! I had a feeling from as soon as they walked inside!" I yell.

My mom just shakes her head. We continued watching until she spoke up.

"You dating anyone yet?" She asks me, still gazing at the TV. My mom had me when she was 17, she's 34 now and I look at her like she's one of my best friends.

She's always been cool like that, but my dad on the other hand is a little shaky. He was 19 when my mom got pregnant, and the fact that he got an underage girl pregnant drove him to drinking.

He became an alcoholic but he tidied his self up by the time as I was 10. He got a job and everything but he and I became distant ever since.

I snap back to reality and I realize that my mother was waiting on my answer.

"Oh yeah. I met a guy." I shrug it off so that she could change the topic, but she only became more intrigued.

She gasps, "Tell me everything. My baby's all grown!" She squeals.

I roll my eyes. "His name is Marshall and..." Should I tell her he's a rapper?

"Uh...he's an aspiring rapper-and before you say anything!" I look at her with my hands up to stop her from telling me how stupid I am.

"Mom I can feel that he's gonna make it. I mean he's great at it, the local rappers respect him, he's even made a name for his self. Plus, he's better than most of the black rappers out there." I give a, hopefully inspiring, speech about how much of a great rapper Marshall is.

"Hold on why you say black rappers. So he's latino, white or what?" She was giving me a curious look.

"He's white but don't worry mom you're gonna meet him soon." I say quickly to end her interrogation session.

"Wait but-" She starts but I cut her off.

"Soon mom, soon!" I shut her down and we go back to watching Love and Hip Hop Atlanta.