Chapter 24: Sassy Tassy

The song for this chapter is: Walk on Water by: Eminem ft. Beyonce

I was on my way home from work, when I got a call

"Hello?" I answered. The contact name said bartender and I was slightly confused.

"Uh, hey! This is Tassy right?" A deep voice responded to me. He sounded kind of nervous.

"Yeah, it is. May I ask who's this?" I asked and prayed that it didn't come out as rude.

The person on the other line chuckles, "It's Marcus, the bartender."

Marcus the bartender? From Laurie's party?

"Oh, hey, what's up?" It was weird that he was calling me so long after the party.

"I just wanted to know if you were doing anything now." I looked around to see if a bus was passing.

"Uh, no. I'm just heading home from work." I answered reluctantly.

"Oh, you must be tired then." He said but I could tell that he was asking.

"Not really." I chuckled.

"Cool! Well, does that mean we can meet up?" He asked and I sensed the excitement in his tone.

"Sure." I shrugged and took a seat at the bus stop.

"Give me your address so that I can pick you up." He said.

"Woah woah," I stopped him, "how will I know that you're not gonna murder me? Where are you taking me?"

He busted out laughing and I laughed a little because of how crazy his laugh was. It was a mixture of windshield wiper and hiccups and if you heard it you'd die laughing too.

"How about the movies? There will be tons of people. I don't know if this'll help but, I can't even watch people get killed on television, so I highly doubt that I can commit murder myself." I liked his little confession but I was still reluctant. Not because he might be a murderer but because of how Marshall might react to this.

I mean, it's not a date right? We can just be friends.

"Okay. Just know that it's not a date!" I told him and he chuckled and repeated,"not a date."

"Alright." I gave him my address and hopped onto the bus that pulled up in front of me.

"I'll pick you up at 8." He said and I agreed and hung up.

Now I'm getting ready, and for my outfit, I decide to put on a plain light pink tshirt and jeans with sneakers. I tuck half of the shirt in my jeans to make it look like I somewhat 'tried'.

I add my pink hat that I bought specifically for this shirt and grab my phone.

Hey I told him it's not a date, so he shouldn't expect me to be all dressed the fuck up.

I notice that I got a text message from Marcus and I read it.

Bartender: i'm on my way. i'll be there in 5 mins.

Me: don't text and drive 😯

Marcus: woops 😅😂

And he still texts me back. All I could do is shake my head and make sure that I had my money and everything.

A few minutes went by and I hear a car honk.

I lock my door and waved at Marcus who steps out of the car. I had a second to look at his outfit and he was wearing light washed jeans with a polo shirt and red and white sneakers to match.

He opens his hands for an embrace and I do the same. After we hug he opens the door for me and I lowkey die inside at his chivalry. He walks back around the car and hops into the drivers seat.

I have to admit I felt hella awkward inside of another man's car who I barely know.

"So how was your day?" He starts and taps his steering wheel lightly.

My gaze goes from his hands to his face. He was a good looking guy I have to admit, but looking at him made me realize that no one could replace Marshall.

"My day was good." I turn to stare out the window. I watch as we drove by a bunch of abandoned buildings-something that Detroit has a lot of, "how about you?"

"Wish I could say the same earlier." He lets out a deep breathe. "I've been really stressed out lately. With family issues and stuff, but you accepted my offer and now I'm happy."

He smiles and I felt a little weird about it but I shook the strange feeling away.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." I say awkwardly.

He shakes his head, "It's alright."

After a moment of silence I decide to ask him the question that's been on my mind for a while.

"Not be rude but why did you call me? I mean, it's been so long since Laurie's party I would have thought you forgot about me. Well at least I hoped. I probably embarrassed myself that night." I try to remember all of the details but it lowkey was all a blur.

He chuckles, "you seemed like a really cool person I guess. Something just told me I had to get to know you."

My lips seemed to feel dry in that moment so I flick my tongue across them.

I quickly turn to face him. "Listen, this is not a date! Remember, I have a boyfriend."

He smirks and my brows furrow in confusion.

"How's that going?" He asks arrogantly.

I gasp in offense and try to defend myself, "it's going great, thank you."

He shrugs slightly, "what ever you say."

I know I shouldn't piss someone who I barely knew off, while he's driving me somewhere people don't know I'm going.

As a matter of fact. I should text Laurie and let her know in case anything -God forbid- happens.

I pull out my phone and text her quickly.

I even have my pepper spray in my bag so I think I should be alright.

"Listen here Mister," I put up a finger and wave it at him turning my sassy Tassy persona on, "you need to chill off of Marshall and I, because you don't know anything about our realtionship!"

"Don't I?" He retorts with the simple quirk of his brow and a side glance at me.