Chapter 17: Questing for Vengeance, or At Least the Plan

Katelyn's head throbbed like a beating drum, each beat tuned to the pounding of her heart. She heard faint cursing and light footsteps jumping around. She cracked open her eyelids a sliver and saw a dripping glare of sunlight splattered across... the park?

     She remembered coming... Then Zane was there... He had said he could explain - but obviously he'd lied, she'd seen him... And then... She'd tripped and - that's all that she'd remembered...

     As the sun pressed insistently on her eyes, Katelyn rubbed her face and turned her head. Someone was hiding behind the tree - Zane...? And he was trying to... hide behind the tree? Why was he even here?

     "What... are you...?" asked Katelyn groggily. "I... passed out? What... happened?"

     "Oh, yup," Zane said, halting in his attempts to dodge the sunlight by using the tree as shade. "You hit your head... And I waited for you to wake up. The sun rose a full twenty minutes ago and I think I'm blistering."

     "What..." Katelyn murmured, stretching and standing. Her head hurt, and she swayed a little. She still didn't really want Zane for company though - he'd lied to her, said he liked her, than went off with Michi - they'd hugged!

     "While you're here and... um... not especially inclined to punch me," Zane added. "I wanted to explain what ha-"

     Katelyn tried to punch him. She missed and hit the tree instead, by accident. She growled, "Damnit!" and swayed a little more. Zane scowled at her. How dare she try and punch an evil spirit!?

     "Anyway," Zane continued, shooting Katelyn an evil glare, like, Don't you dare punch me again, mortal. "It wasn't my fault. I thought Michi was you!"

     "My hair is blue!" sputtered Katelyn, managing to get a hit on Zane's arm. Then, as he scowled, she slapped him across the face. "I don't believe that! I thought you liked me, Zane! Like that! But... No! The second I turn my back, you leave and start hugging evil cat-girls!"

     Zane jumped to avoid Katelyn's random punches and slaps. He scowled. Just because Michi and he were both evil didn't mean they liked each other! Michi's type of evil was a lot more dishonorable and petty than his, grander, more honor-worthy evil.

     "No! My vision was all weird - and my face was wet, for some reason," Zane reminisced. "And she was wearing the same thing as you! I think. Like I said, my vision was all weird... I don't know, it was like someone put frosted glass in my face."

     "Mhm, and I bet she sounded exactly like me," Katelyn speculated sarcastically. "You realize Michi's voice is, like, two OCTAVES higher than mine?"

     "Her voice..." Zane repeated. Then he scowled, trying to remember Michi's voice at the time. "Sounded like you with a cold. Kind of.  But don't you remember what Lucinda said?"

     "Uh... She said..." Katelyn drew out, thinking hard. "She gave Michi a potion to change.... her... oh... I see.... Uh... But, how exactly do you just mistake her for me? We act COMPLETELY differently! I mean... Hello, she is so... self-centered. I don't know. We're-"

     "Very different," agreed Zane. "But I felt weird. And I couldn't see. And she looked like you. So I thought it was you. I'm sorry! I never thought that Michi would target our ship! We're not technically even together together! All we know-"

     "Is that I like you, and you're an idiot," finished Katelyn, smiling slightly.

     "Yeah- Wait, what? NO!" Zane growled. "You... do like me though? I mean, maybe. I kind of just hope that you... like me back. You know that... I... uh.... THIS IS SO AWKWARD! I'M LEAVING!"