Chapter 47: Strawberry Puffs

"So, how's this batch taste?" Katelyn's dad asked, plopping a new batch of his infamous strawberry puffs onto the table. Katelyn popped one in her mouth and gave him the thumbs up.

     "Zane!" Katelyn yelled through her mouthful of delicious pastry. (Now I'm hungry... sigh.) She looked around, but couldn't find him.

     "Yeah? I'm taping the door hole!" Zane answered, accompanied by the loud noise of him ripping tape away from the roll and sticking it to the door frame. After a few minutes, Zane yelled. "OH MY- Someone! HELP ME! PLEASE!"

      "Comin-mff!" Katelyn answered, swallowing another pastry. (I'm really hungry now.) "How'd you-"

     She walked into the room and raised her eyebrows, confused. 

     "I tripped," Zane explained. Katelyn walked toward him, and poked at the tape. Well, part of it. Most of it was wrapped around his arm. But there were several dozen strips wrapped around his torso too.

     "I... Where, into the... Oh. You did trip into your taped doorway," Katelyn noted. She sighed, and began trying to find the beginnings of one of the strands. "Actually... Where are the scissors?"

     Katelyn jogged back to the kitchen, and returned with a knife. 

     "Sorry, I couldn't find scissors," she apologized. She shrugged. "These will have to do. Hold still, or you'll get cut."

     "Alright..." Zane agreed, trying to hold still. 

     After getting part of the tape even more tangled, Katelyn tossed the knife aside and stood back with a sigh. 

     "This isn't working," Katelyn sighed, tugging at some tape experimentally. Zane nodded in agreement, wiggling his arms in his bonds.

     "Way to state the obvious," Zane retorted. He jerked his chin down at his taped-up body.

     "I know! We'll just... Take of your jacket," Katelyn instructed. Zane pulled at his arms to show her he couldn't, giving her a magnanimous sigh. Katelyn slapped his arm and scolded, "No developing an ego on me, child."

      "That's worse than nugget," Zane complained. Katelyn rolled her eyes and folded her arms. "And I can't take of my jacket. My arms are stuck."

     "Then I'll help you," Katelyn huffed, yanking at the bottom of the jacket. Zane yelped, voice muffled by his mask. Katelyn yanked the hem of the jacket up high enough to cover Zane's face. Katelyn muttered, "Good Irene, it's REALLY hard to get this off of you!"

     She tensed up as she heard squeaking. Zane's face, managing to peek through the fabric, paled even more. He was about as white as paper at this point.

     "Kawaii-chan, I'm only pulling his jacket off to dislodge the tape," Katelyn explained. Just more squeak noises. "I don't see why you're so excited. It's not like I'm not undressing him, right?"

     "You had to mention it," Zane muttered into his jacket. 

     From across the street, Vyas heard some sort of explosion noise. From Zane's kitchen, Aphmau was trying to explain to the parents the explosion.

     "Well, my roommate has the tendency to... explode... when she sees anything that... concerns a ship... that... well... yeah," Aphmau explained. She shrugged. Hey, everyone's been there, right?

     Okay. Try saying that to your parents one day. See how they react.

     "You clean the scorch marks," Zane yelled at Kawaii-chan, who was passed out in a huge field of scorch marks. They were strangely pink-tinged.