Chapter 18: Raining Paint. And Water. And Dirt...

A day later, Lucinda and Garroth were ready to begin. Katelyn and Zane joined them and distributed supplies about the four.

     "So what do we talk about?" asked Katelyn, walking with Zane, Lucinda, and Garroth. Zane and Garroth were carrying supplies... They walked toward Michi's house. "I mean, we're supposed to fight, right?"

     "Mm, well..." Lucinda began, thinking. "Just argue about Michi and that... Just try and replicate your original argument... Mm, you did have one, right?"

     "Yup," Zane groaned stoically. "Katelyn can be rather defensive. And sensitive. But that's fine... I prefer that to someone so blunt I could smack them in the face with their own obtuseness..."

     "Like yourself," noted Katelyn. Seeing him glower, Katelyn shrugged and backed up. "I'm kidding! Kidding! Maybe... Haha... You see, you're way too touchy, man... I don't get it. It's not that I dislike you though. I don't..."

     "Hmm..." considered Zane. "You talk a lot..."

     Katelyn slapped his arm, making the tray of paints in his hands jump a little. Zane scowled as Garroth laughed and Lucinda smiled. They would make an amazing and rather funny couple. Suddenly, Lucinda stopped and looked back at the three behind her.

     "Okay. Garroth and I are going to get set up..." Lucinda instructed. "Garroth, can you get on the roof? The overhang? And you two... mm... Get to the other side of the street. Start yelling... You two are good at that."

     "What?" Zane asked, scowling. "Are you saying we're loud?"

     Garroth grabbed the paints from Zane, shifting both buckets to one hand. He left to get settled on Michi's roof. He just wanted the roof to hold up. Zane and Katelyn left for the other side of the street, Zane throwing up his hands in outrage. He wasn't loud!

     Winking at Lucinda, who jogged toward Michi's house, Katelyn suddenly yelled, "Still! That's no excuse! Why in the world would you leave just to follow some other girl around and then hug her!"

     "Yeah, well... I told you! It wasn't my fault!" snarled Zane, smirking at Katelyn, who grinned back at him. "My vision was all blurry and weird! I'm pretty sure something was dumped on me to make it so! Don't be such a harpy!"

     "A harpy? Excuse me?" yelped Katelyn, raising an eyebrow. "What about that girl you were hugging? Not a harpy, I suppose? Look, something dumped on your head? Your hair looked pretty dry to me! Besides, I have BLUE HAIR!"

     "So what? I thought her hair was blue!" protested Zane, smiling and narrowing his eyes. It looked like he was trying and failing at being mad. "It's not my fault I mistook bluish purple for legitimately blue!"

     "Of course it was your fault!" cried Katelyn, planting her hands on her hips. She was faking anger much more realistically than Zane. "Besides, you don't just mistake our behavior for each other! She was so much more... normally tempered...!"

     "No kidding," muttered Zane. Then, scowling impressively, Zane added, "But it was just a hug! And my second, not my first! You already took that one!"

     "But I wanted your fudging top ten!" argued Katelyn. "You don't just hug random girls, Zane! Beside the fact that I tolerate you, it's lucky I'm even willing to talk to you after that!"

     While they continued their fascinating debate, (which eventually deteriorated into insulting each other, a common pastime of theirs,) Lucinda faked anger and knocked on Michi's door. Garroth was above the porch, with the water ready.