Chapter 29: Beach Day (with Leaf)

"They've invited us to the beach," noted Zane, waking Katelyn up from the couch. Katelyn looked up at him, blue hair splayed around her head. She'd slept fine on the couch - Zane had tried to convince her to use his bed, but... 

     "I like the beach, but. Well. Leaf," Katelyn reminded Zane, laughing. She watched his face darken, reddening with embarrassment. "Hey, calm down... It was funny, though. Sorry! But. Don't you think this is some kind of setup...? I don't want the whole Michi-potion-you thing to happen again."

     "It's okay," Zane replied, scrolling through the texts, showing Katelyn the texts. "Aphmau promised not to do any ship stuff. Oh, and I promise not to let you... or anyone else... Out of my sight. Swear it on my lack of a soul."

     "Everyone has a soul," Katelyn snorted, pulling herself upright on the couch, leaning against Zane's shoulder. "Your's is just... Pink, cute, and hidden behind an evil cloud of Zane-ness. Pink. And. Cute."

     "WHAT?!" protested Zane. He poked Katelyn on the nose, making her blink and jerk backwards. With every syllable, Zane poked Katelyn again on the nose. "My. Soul. Is. Dark. And. Evil. Not. Pink. Not. Cute. Got it?"

     "Nope!" Katelyn denied cheerfully. She poked Zane back, poking what was visible of his nose. "Pink. And. Cute. As. Heck! Hehehe... I think you're just in denial, cute pink Zane. Ooh. Maybe you could wear something pink sometime. Other than those shorts you wore at the waterpark... Leaf."

     "Don't call me leaf," snarled Zane, glaring at Katelyn, who smiled. "And I don't care if it's a trap. I am bringing a huge umbrella and I am not moving. Therefore, I will be fine. You will be fine."

     "Maybe... I'll definitely get you to do some volleyball though," mused Katelyn thoughtfully. She grinned at Zane, happy to deliver news. "Because I am a little out of practice and I wanna DESTROY you at this game!"

     "We'll see," Zane replied, standing and stretching. "I'm going to find an umbrella. If the game involves missiles, I might not be good at it... But judging from your aim with trigonometry books, I say I have a fair chance of winning. HAHAHA!!"

     "Was that even a trigonometry book?" wondered Katelyn. She shrugged, adding, "I mean, my aim was good enough to bean you in the head, so... I think you're going down, sucker!"

     "Ooh, scary," said Zane sarcastically, looking around, wondering where he could have put that stupid umbrella. "A blue-haired little girl is going to show me up at volleyball? I don't think so, Katelyn!"

     "Well, Zane," laughed Katelyn, folding her arms as Zane searched for his umbrella. "Time to wake up. Because you are about to be DESTROYED by your girlfriend! Nope, gets no easier! But... well. At least that awkwardness will be rewarded with the satisfaction of victory."

     "Don't be so sure of yourself," snorted Zane, finding his umbrella. "I am going to get my shorts. You should go get your swimming suit. Unless you're not swimming... I mean. You can play volleyball in a sweater if you want. You're still losing!"

     "In your dreams," Katelyn replied casually, walking to the door. She smiled at him, beaming widely. "Besides, how are you gonna get in the sun long enough for you to even start the game? Seeya there, LEAF."

     "DO NOT CALL ME LEAF!" snarled Zane as Katelyn left, laughing. Katelyn was definitely irritating sometimes... But still, there was something about that that made Zane want to smile too.

     Once at the beach, Zane immediately set up the umbrella. He ducked under it, sighing in relief when he was out of the hateful, burning sun. There were no clouds, and Zane was not spared from the blistering heat of the sun.