Chapter 23: When Kawaii-chan Interferes...

The excuse worked. Lucinda went along with it, and Katelyn's dad believed it. Another few days passed, and Katelyn's dad returned to his home from his trip. Katelyn immediately left for Zane's house, excusing it as having to check on him and make good on their agreement.

     "Hi," greeted Katelyn, pushing the door open at Zane's house. "You're alive! And you didn't even get mutilated! You're unscathed! So..."

     "First off, I'm not unscathed," snorted Zane. "I have always been mentally scarred, now I just am also slightly bruised from when he tried to grab me. Either way, why are you here again? I thought you were just here a few days ago..."

     "Mhm," agreed Katelyn. Then she sat down on the couch and quirked a smirk in Zane's direction. "But I don't need an excuse... Because... What did you say would happen if you lived?"

     "Uh... I said that we would... date," mumbled Zane, taking on the hue of a certain octagonal street sign. "And I... survived."

     "So I need no excuse to visit," Katelyn explained. "To visit.... my... "

    "Just say it and never say it again," moaned Zane. He scowled, explaining, "All this liking you stuff is seriously messing with my sense of emotion. None."

     "To visit my," repeated Katelyn, smirking at Zane, who groaned and doubled over to plant his face in his knees from his perch on the couch. "My  date."

     "Thank Irene!" yelped Zane. "You didn't actually say- I mean, that's cool! Yeah! Still awkward, but not half as bad! Don't say the other word."

     "Fine, it's awkward for me too, you know," promised Katelyn. She stood up and pulled Zane off the couch, about as hard as if she were trying to dislocate his shoulder. "And I think that we should go do something interesting. After all, first day!"

     "No," Zane objected, scowling. "Did Aphmau and Aaron do anything special when they started dating? Hmm... N-"

     "Yes," Katelyn interrupted. She gave Zane a superior smirk, knowing that this would end up her way. "They kissed! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So we do that or we do something interesting we can agree on!"

     "They're different!" sputtered Zane. "And you use that to force me to do something interesting? What does that even mean?"

     "If you don't wanna do what Aarmau did," explained Katelyn. "And you don't know what to do, I can decide for you! Oh! Do you have any type of gaming console? And saltines..."

     "No crackers," snarled Zane, shuddering. The crumbs had gotten everywhere - in his shirt, in his collar, in his... everywhere. "And yes. But I think it's broken. I have a PC... I play CS GO and Minecraft..."

     "Cool. I pretty much only play Minecraft and a few online games on my PC," Katelyn responded. "But not CS GO. Heard of it, though. I'll bring my PC by later and we can do Minecraft. What server?"

     "Mineplex," Zane yelled as Katelyn suggested, "Hypixel!"

     They squinted disbelievingly at each other. Katelyn thought, Seriously? But that server gives me so much lag! as Zane wondered, Why would anyone choose Hypixel over Mineplex? They shrugged and folded their arms.

     "Fine, we can pick another server," Katelyn sighed. She'd really been looking forward to Paintball... "Maybe Lichcraft or some other less crowded server... I can always coerce one of my other friends to play Paintball with me. Garroth sucks at it, for one..."

     "No, no, I'll play Hypixel," Zane tried unwillingly. He kind of wanted her to feel good about something and why not this, right? "I can play Mineplex by myself."