Chapter 30: Zane and the Brick

"SUGARPEA!" Katelyn's dad yelled, barging into Katelyn's room, shocking her off the bed. Maybe she should have heard the slamming door, but no... She was taking a nap. Well, until she fell off the bed. Zane was probably still hiding, even days after the incident. He was taking no chances.

     He wasn't in the mood for running around a mall again at top speed.

     "Hi," groaned Katelyn, as she sat up from her floor, beating away the blankets she was tangled in. "Uh..... How are you, I guess..."

     "I am fine..." Katelyn's dad began. Then he whipped out his phone and showed Katelyn. "Well, I was. Until your little cat friend sent me this. She said you were... um, dating. A boy. The one who I chased around the mall a bit. Are you? She had to be mistaken right?"

     "Uh... She wasn't mistaken..." Katelyn hissed between clenched teeth. She stood up and added, "I am dating that guy... Zane. Er. Yeah, the one you chased around the mall...

     "The gray, weird one?" Katelyn's dad asked, aghast. He put his phone away, pacing around Katelyn's room. "Whose convinced he has no soul? Sugarpea! But he seems so depressing! And gray!"

     "Well, he might seem depressing, but I've never heard anyone call Zane gray," responded Katelyn, laughing a little. "But... yeah. The 'gray' one... But once you get to know him, he's not so bad! He does have a soul, he just ignores it and tries to squash it... It doesn't work though, heh."

     "But, sugarpea!" sputtered Katelyn's dad, spreading his arms. "He- He looks and sounds depressing, and he acts so evil! He, erm... He says some... questionable things. About people. And in general."

     "You chased him around the mall," Katelyn reminded her dad. "And he didn't even have dinner yet. And-"

     "That's it!" Katelyn's dad yelled, suddenly bursting into a curiously sudden anger. "I am going to find this Zane kid and knock some sense into him! Katelyn, stay here!"

     "Dad!" yelped Katelyn, as her dad ran out of the room, saying some... rather mean things about boys who looked at his sugarpea. Katelyn ran after him, shouting, "I'm old enough to care for myself! I'm an adult! And don't kill Zane! I actually like him!"

     Dads... Always killing off guys their daughters liked before they could get to know them more. Sigh. Katelyn's dad got there first, and kicked down the door. From upstairs, Zane readied himself with a sigh. This was going to entail more running.

     "Zane!!!" yelled Katelyn's dad, thumping up the stairs like a rampaging bull. Zane shot out from under the bed and out the door. He was used to running. Especially when angry organic life forms were involved.

     Zane ran around his own house, pursued by Katelyn's dad. Katelyn waited at Zane's door, ready to grab Zane and run if he ever got close enough.

     Zane and Katelyn's dad ran around, Zane eventually escaping into the backyard, though Katelyn's dad followed. As Zane ran around a pile of various useless bits of stone and wood, Katelyn's dad caught up, almost tripping.

     Arms and legs flailing, Katelyn's dad cut Zane off, skidding in front of him. Zane tried to avoid him, changing his mind at the last minute, trying to stop. His feet disobeyed, and he tripped over Katelyn's dad's foot, landing with a jarring crash.

     Katelyn, hearing the crash, sprinted into Zane's backyard, leaving the door swinging open. She inhaled sharply, seeing Zane motionless, sprawled over a pile of bits of construction material.

     "WHAT HAPPENED?" yelped Katelyn, running and bending over next to Zane. "I think he's knocked out! Or concussed!"

     "I think he's been taught a lesson, that's what he is," sniffed Katelyn's dad, turning away, a little embarrassed. "And maybe knocked out? Well, he deserved it for liking my sugarpea..."