Chapter Four

After minutes of nothing but hearty laughter, we eventually pulled ourselves together.  We were still all smiling, however.  I couldn't believe we had actually laughed for endless minutes.  My stomach hurt, and I wouldn't have been surprised if I had gained abs just from laughing! 

“I haven't laughed that hard and long in years!” exclaimed Georgie. 
“It felt good, though,” I said, my smile fading into a grin. 
“Maybe I should quit this acting gig and start stand up comedy,” joked Skandar.
“Or maybe you should just stick to acting,” I replied.  “You're welcome.  I just saved your acting career.”
We talked for a few more minutes until Georgie glanced up at the brown wall-clock and exclaimed:
“We only have ten more minutes of our break left!”
My stomach began to gurgle again as I remembered the thought of food.
“I'm pretty sure there's a coffee shop around the corner,” said Skandar, a little louder than a whisper.  “It's called Last Eden Café.”
“Uhhh,” I began feeling uneasy.  “No-one, unless directed, is supposed to leave this building during filming hours.”
“Yeah, I know, but, just between the three of us, the food they serve here isn't very…” Skandar paused for a moment, trying to find the right word; “tasteless.”
Georgie didn't seem to disagree with him, so I decided to believe him.  But I still didn't have a good feeling about his risky idea.  It was against regulations, and I wasn't about to break the rules on the first day of work - or any day of work.  I depended on this job to pay my monthly bills and provide three meals a day - which I'm sure neither Georgie nor Skandar have ever had to worry about.
“I can't,” I said flatly. 
“Oh ca’mon,” insisted Skandar.  He looked at me intently.  It was so hard resisting someone with such an adorable face.  But I had to hold my ground and set limitations for myself.  I knew what was wrong and what was right.  But a little something, deep inside me, woke up, telling me that it was alright if I snuck out and broke the rules - just this one time.  One time.  One little time.  “We'll order our food, come back before the next shoot starts, and no-one will even miss us!” Skandar urged.  During this whole conversation, Georgie hadn't said a word.  I didn't know if she was for or against Skandar’s scheme. 
“What do you think, Georgie?” I asked her plainly.  That little something inside of me seemed to be growing stronger every second I tried to say no in my mind.  I guess I always liked the idea of doing something adventurous with Skandar.  Like a little scenario you think up, which then denies you any kind of sleep.  But I had to dismiss those thoughts from entering into my brain.  I couldn't let a childhood crush cause me to break the rules - no matter how tempting it sounded.
“Well,” began Georgie slowly, “I don't mind doing it if you don't.” Half of me was astonished that Georgie thought was alright, but the other half was secretly glad. 
I know I shouldn't do this.  But just imagine the future bragging rights I'd have. ‘Skandar and I snuck out of the building and went to a little café together.  Just the two of us.’  I knew it'd never be just the two of us, but I could always fantasize. 
“Won't you please come, Veronica?”
Skandar said my name.  Skandar Keynes said my name.  I had dreamed of this moment over and over in my head, but I definitely never imagined it ever really happening. 
How could I say no to one of the most attractive man on the planet? 
“It's all fun and games for you.  If I get caught sneaking out I'll be fired!  But if you're caught it doesn't even matter because you two have contracts,” I said, starting to be a little annoyed.  “Oohh, fine.”
I can't believe I was jeopardizing my job just so I could hang out with Skandar...and Georgie, of course...but mainly Skandar.
“Well, ca’mon then!” Skandar smirked.  Sometimes I just wish my fangirl instincts would just die.  Half of the time they made me act like a deranged animal - in public.  I bit the inside of my cheek, almost drawing blonde.  I had to refrain from squealing when he smirked like that. 

● ● ●

We all had a delightful time at the café, keeping a close watch on the time.  When it was five minutes until one-thirty, we all decided it would be smart if we started walking back to the building.  Skandar willingly paid for all three of the meals, though Georgie and I insisted on paying for our own; but Skandar didn't even listen.  I was secretly glad that Skandar had dismissed our requests to pay, because it was twenty-three dollars that could go towards other things. 
As we rose from our chairs, I noticed the weather outside.  It was a heavy downpour, and I could hardly see the cars as they passed the small, quaint café.
Busted, I thought.  I bit my bottom lip as regret bubbled up inside of me.  There was no way we'd make it back to the film-set dry.  They'd know we had been outside, because everything on us would be completely soaked.  I'd be fired and become homeless.
“Look how hard it's raining!” whistled Georgie in disbelief.  “How are we going to get back to the film-set?  I can't see anything through the rainstorm.”  The rain couldn't wait until we were safely back at the film-set, it had to start now?  Maybe this was my punishment for breaking the rules. 
“More importantly, how do we get back to the film-set without becoming completely soaked?  Then it's going to be so obvious that we sneaked out!” I pointed out, trying to calm myself down. 
Skandar’s eyes fixed on a large black mass sitting on the floor.  He most of known exactly what it was, because he walked over to the counter and began talking with the cashier.  Georgie and I exchanged confused looks as we saw him pointing to the mass.  After about thirty seconds or so passed, Skandar handed the cashier some money and then shook his hand.
Skandar walked over to us with a smug grin across his lips.  “You're welcome.  I just saved your job,” he said.  I couldn't help but smile when I remembered that I said something similar like that to him earlier. 
“You've haven't saved it yet,” I said.
And with that, Skandar walked over to the mass, picked it up, and began unfolding it.  It was a tarp.
“We'll put this over us like a blanket while we walk.  The rain should slide right off and never hit us,” he said smugly. 
“This better work,” I said, crossing my fingers as we approached the exit door.  “I can't afford to lose my job.”
We all huddled under the tarp, which happened to just be large enough to keep the three of us warm and dry.  Skandar stood in the middle, Georgie and I on either side.  We had to get very close to him unless we wanted to be wet.  In fact, we were so close I could feel the warmth of his body next to mine, and could smell his faint cologne. 
Berries.
I tried not to pay too much attention to Skandar and his delightful cologne.  Instead, I focused my attention on not getting a single centimeter of my body wet. 
Surprisingly enough, the tarp actually shielded us against the rain.  We finally reached the building and realized that we were challenged with another problem. 
“How are we supposed to get into the building without anyone noticing us?” Georgie asked, a hint of nervousness in her voice.
“We can't give up when we've come so far,” I said.  Georgie and I waited for Edmund’s answer.  He always seemed to have an answer. 
“The service door!” he exclaimed with a snap of his fingers. 
“The what door?” I said, requesting further information.
“Nevermind, just follow me.”
Skandar led us around the building, which seemed to take forever.  We were definitely late and I was definitely going to be fired.  We soon stood in front of an old metal door that had a weather-stained sign on it which I wasn't able to read. 
“Where does it lead?” I asked Skandar as he placed his hand on the knob.
“To Narnia,” he said with a quick raise of his eyebrow.  A smirk played on his lips, but I simply rolled my eyes and ignored his attempt at being clever.  The only thing I was worried about was the time.
Skandar turned the knob, giving it a gentle push.  It opened easily and silently.  We dropped the tarp behind us as we sprint down a long bare hallway.  I began praying that something had happened to the time, stalling the scheduled shoot.  
The moment of truth.  We slowed our pace and strolled casually into the set room.  No-one seemed to notice we had disappeared.  I'm sure most people had their suspicions, but I didn't care.  As long as they didn't have solid evidence against us, they could assume whatever they wanted. 
I released a sigh of relief as I said goodbye to Georgie and Skandar.  They had to have their makeup and costumes rechecked for any tears or smudges.  I walked over to my assigned station, picked up my prop sheet, and mentally gave myself a high five.
I did it.
♡•♡•♡•♡
That chapter was really long compared to my other ones, I know.  I really hope that chapter wasn't too dull.  I tried to make it as interesting as possible, while trying to (secretly) develop characters.  I can't promise that this fanfiction will be jam-packed with action and things like that, but I'll try best to cover some other genres - if I can.
I really hope this wasn't too boring for y’all. 
~Fangirl