Chapter Seven

Nearly three weeks had passed since I was fired from set manager, but I thankfully spotted a job opening in the newspaper one morning. I was now employed in a quaint, 50's style diner as a waitress. I got to wear a cute, short pink dress, curl my hair in a classic Hollywood way, and color my lips bright red. It was actually a really fun job because the staff was awesome and the regular customers were sweet.

I still had thoughts of Georgie and Skandar - and all the rest of the cast. Sometimes I would get lost in my thoughts during work and someone would literally have to slap me back to reality. But it didn't hurt very much.

It was the last Thursday in June when Jennifer (one of my favorite coworkers) tapped me on the back with a mischievous grin spread across her painted lips.

"What?" I asked, my hands resting on my hips. It looked like she expected me to know what she was thinking.

"I thought you said you were single," she said at length.

"What? I am," I assured her.

"Then why was there a cute guy asking me to give you this tip? A forty. Dollar. Tip. Guys don't just throw around expensive tips to just anyone!"

"Who? I don't know any rich guys! What did he look like?" I asked, grabbing my bountiful tip. My eyes were wide with wonder. Who would do this for me? Of course, Skandar was the farthest person from my mind.

"He had pale skin....uh- dreamy brown eyes...and the cutest ruffled black hair!"

"Did he give his name? Did he give you a message?"

"Uhhh, I think it was something weird. I was too busy looking him up and down." I love Jennifer, but I would never entrust her with anything important like a letter or article. She'd completely forget everything if she saw a cute stranger.

"Xavier...no. Alexander...nope. Salamander...no..."

"Skandar!" I whispered.

"Yeah, that was it!"

"When did he leave?" I asked frantically. "How did he even know I worked here?"

"Wait- so you're telling me that you've worked here for nearly an entire year, have a wealthy, handsome man-friend, and you never told me?" Jennifer said, arching her eyebrows in disbelief.

"Well, I did. He's not so much my friend anymore," I corrected. "We never see each other anymore, and he sort-of got me fired from my previous job."

"You have so much to tell me during our break!" exclaimed Jennifer, who was a total gossip. But she was a good and honest friend - not to seem cheesy.

● ● ●

July had finally arrived and I was beginning to forget the tip incident with Skandar. Though it was an unexpected, yet welcomed, gift, I felt sorry for the last few words I said to him. Accusing him of practically firing me. I could've said no if I wanted to.

I had finished cleaning out the apartment's pool for some extra money one lovely afternoon. It was a Tuesday and I never work on Tuesdays.

I was dressed in a fashionable, black one-piece swimsuit, thinking that no one was going to be down by the pool. I only wore that swimsuit when I planned on swimming alone because I thought it to be a bit revealing. I usually didn't wear form-fitting or revealing clothing because I wasn't especially fond of my body - though I was told by multiple people that I had an excellent figure.

I was standing near the edge of the pool, when I heard a familiar voice call out:

"Veronica!"

I immediately recognized it has Skandar's voice and panicked. I didn't want him to see me dressed like this! I looked horrible.

But without thinking, I stepped back, my foot missing the expected floor, causing me to loose my balance and fall into the pool. I had fallen into the deep end of the pool, so I was alright except for the fact that I had basically made a fool outta myself in front of Skandar Keynes. Again. I still sometimes referred to him as "The Skandar Keynes", even though we had been friends for awhile - if you consider one week a while.

"Veronica!" he shouted, running up to the deck of the pool. He knelt at the edge of the pool and peered into the water. I thought about holding my breath and passing out, but I don't think I would've been able to continue out that plan.

I decided to face him and surface to the top of the water. Plus, I was running low on air. When I reached the top, I gasped for air. I made sure that I only showed my head above the water. Nothing else.

"Are you alright?" he asked, a smile hinting at the corners of his mouth.

My cheeks went red as I said, "Yeah, I'm totally fine. But what are you doing here? How do you even know that I live here?"

"Elementary, my dear Maximoff."

"You Googled me, didn't you?" I assumed confidently. I raised my eyebrow, awaiting a response.

He released a light chuckle. "Yeah," he admitted. "But it's not as creepy as it sounds. I only looked you up because I wanted to find you and tell you...I'm sorry."

"Y-You're sorry?" I echoed. "Why should you be sorry? I'm the one who blamed you!"

"Yeah, but you wouldn't have needed to blame me if I hadn't come up with that stupid idea to sneak out. It was all my fault that you were fired. You were right about not sneaking out."

"No, I should've just stayed behind like I thought was best. You didn't make me sneak out - I made my own choice."

We looked at each other for a few seconds before I coughed awkwardly and asked:

"Can you hand me one of those towels over there, please?"

Skandar stood up and walked over to a rack of white towels. He picked two up and strolled back to the edge of the pool. He handed me one as I asked what the other was for.

"Don't girls usually make one into a turbine looking thing for their hair?" he responded with a playful smirk.

I rolled my eyes but was secretly impressed with his 'knowledge' of wet girl hair. He did have a sister, so he probably picked up some of the things she did over years.

I pulled myself out of the water, trying to awkwardly wrap the towel while leaving the water, without revealing too much of my bathing suit. I was fairly successful and soon was fully covered.

"You can come back to my apartment if you'd like," I offered.

"Great - thanks," he said.

Walking towards the sliding glass doors, I picked up a thick, white robe that was hanging on the wall. As I hastily slipped my towel off, I wrapped myself in the robe, not bothering to tie the strings.

Skandar walked a little behind me, enabling him to see my front where my bathing suit was visible. We entered into the hotel's hallway, enjoying a conversation about pets. I don't even remember how we got onto that subject - we just did.

We reached the unoccupied elevator and rode it to the fourth floor. As we stepped out, Skandar accidentally stepped on my robe string that had been trailing behind me. My robe was pulled off, fully exposing my bathing suit.

My eyes widened as panic filled my veins. I didn't want to turn around and face him, but I had to grab my robe. I hesitantly turned on my heel, slowly bending down, picking up my fallen cover-up.

"Wow," Skandar said. "You look-"

"Skandar!" I scolded. "Be a gentleman, for goodness sake!" I then promptly put on my robe, making sure to tie the strings. I was secretly proud of myself for handling the situation, though I still felt embarrassed.

● ● ●

Yo yo!

What did you guys think? Did you like it? Do you want moooore? I need to know your opinions. And don't be afraid to comment or PM me your future ideas for this story! Sometimes I'll have writer's block, so I'll need chapter ideas!

Also, the swimsuit above is the one that Veronica was wearing ;)

~Fangirl