Chapter Nine

[SKANDAR]

The end credits began to play, an ocean of tissues piled up around Veronica. Her eyes were a bit puffy from the uncontrollable tears, and her nose could've been mistaken for Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer's. I thought she looked adorable.

A half eaten plain pizza lay in front of us, resting on the coffee table. The end song played in the background as I snuck another glance over at Veronica, trying to mask her tear-stained complexion.

"That was good," she said at length. "It always makes me cry."

"I can tell," I said chuckling a bit. She laughed too, throwing one of the used tissues at me. I pathetically blocked it, giving her a playful smirk.

"Ugh," she sighed. "I probably look like a complete mess." Her hand met her forehead in embarrassment. I noticed her cheeks flush a bit, only making me try to hide a smile.

"You look great," I reassured her.

"You're just saying that."

"Am I?"

We looked at each other in the eyes for a while. For the first time I noticed the intensity and beauty of her green eyes. I knew she had green eyes, but they never caught my attention like they did now.

My eyes darted from her's down to her lips. The sudden romantic urge to lean in and kiss her came over me. My thoughts wandered into dangerous territories, prohibiting me from thinking clearly. I eyed her lips for more than I had intended, but my thoughts and impulsive instincts kept my gaze locked on them. They seemed perfect in the moment.

The background music played softly and delicately, only adding to the intensity of the scene. Though to someone else the moment we shared might've been merely a few seconds, it felt like it was never going to end. And I was fine with that.

Suddenly, without complete realization, I began to lean my body forwards, closer to Veronica's. My vision began to blurr, enabling me to read her facial expression. Was she scared, horrified, disgusted?

I shut my eyes, sharply pulling myself back, hearing the sharp ringing of a telephone. My violently shook my head, dismissing any previous romantic thoughts. I drew a quick, embarrassed breath as I glanced at Veronica's flustered face. I couldn't tell if she was embarrassed because of how she thought she looked or my ambitious actions.

Either way she rose to go answer the phone in the kitchen, the credit song ending. It was official, the mood was died.

I mentally scolded myself and my thoughts for being so stupid and impulsive. I heard Veronica's distant voice, an embarrassed expression plastered across my face. I bowed my head, my hung my hands against the back of my neck, mentally beating myself over what I had attempted to do.

Had I completely ruined our friendship or any future relationship? Was she offended by my suggestive action? I never meant to have any romantic interest in her, but something clicked just a few moments ago? But it would probably be just a passing phase.

When Veronica returned from the kitchen, I straightened up as she said, "Sorry, but I have to go to work. Maddie just got sick so I have to fill-in for her."

"No, that's alright," I lied. I rose from her couch, an awkward smile spread across my lips. Maybe she hadn't noticed that I was about to kiss her? She didn't seem to be affected by it. Was being kissed a regular occurrence for her?

"I'm really sorry," she apologized, opening the door for me. "Maybe we can do it again sometime? Except this time, I get to pick the movie."

"Deal," I agreed, a spark of hope lighting inside of me.

"Well, I guess I'll see you around."

"Alright - bye!"

Maybe I hadn't scared her off after all. Maybe there was a little hope left for friendship...or a relationship...

● ● ●

Hey! :)

Sorry for the short chapters, but I wanted to fit that 'romantic' moment in somehow. Apologies if it was choppy and hard to read, but I'm trying to improve my skills :P