Chapter Four: Katherine Plumber

A well manicured hand caught my arm as I made my way off stage. I turned to complain to Medda but it wasn't her. It was the woman that Jack had flirted with.

"Oh, hi... Can I help youse?" I asked, trying to be polite.

"I'm Katherine Plumber...Well that's my by-line, I'm reviewing the show for the New York Sun," She explained.

"And I works for da World? Why do I care?"

"Look, I don't make a habit of not speaking to strangers but I thought I'd take a chance on you, One of the few girl Newsies in the city who also has an amazing talent,"

"Youse gonna make a lousy reporter if ya dont talk ta strangers, but thanks anyways. Gunner Rose," I introduced.

"Is that what it says on your rap sheet?" She teased.

"Oh a smart goil," I teased back, a bite to my words.

"I-I didn't mean to upset you," She stuttered, much to my satisfaction.

Jack leapt down from the rafters, Davey and Les on his tail.

"Hello again," Jack smirked.

"Please go away, Im working," Katherine stressed.

"A workin goil eh?" Jack laughed. "Beautiful, smart, independent,"

"Do you mind?" Katherine hissed.

"I got it," I said putting my hand up to her.

I swatted Jack upside the head.

"The lady don't like ya Cowboy!" I said slowly.

The lazy smirk returned to his face as he held my gaze for a moment

"Alright ya Majesty," Jack bowed, taking his hat off.

I blushed, clearing my throat before turning back to Katherine.

"Why did he call you your Majesty?" Katherine asked curiously, her pencil hovering anxiously above her pad of paper.

"Look, I'm not interview material. 'Sides, we gotta get our newbies home," I said.

"Oh...Well, I hope to talk to you soon Gunner Rose!" Katherine said semi-dejectedly