Chapter Eight; Tibby's and front page news?

We all headed down to Jacobi's to regroup after Jack and Les got tossed out of Pulitzer's office. I sat next Les and shared a glass of chocolate milk with the kid. Jacobi came from the back carrying a tray of drinks for the boys.
"And here we go? A glass of water for you, and one for you, and you, and you. And now, who's the big spender that ordered the seltzer?" He asked.
"Ooh! Thats me!" Blink exclaimed.
"And that'll be two cents," Jacobi said.
"Two cents for a glass of seltzer! Just gimme a water!" Blink complained.
Jacobi gave him the extra water, shaking his head fondly.
"How'd I ever see that coming," He laughed, walking away from us.
"I say we launched our strike in the most auspicious manner," Davey cheered.
The boys looked at him confusion etched on their faces. I rolled my eyes.
"I dunno about that, but we sure scared the bejeezus outta weasel!" Mush said tossing an arm around Blink.
We all cheered raising our glasses.
"Did ya see the Delanceys? They didn't know which way was up!" He giggled.
'Do they eva!" I cackled.
"So what's next?" Jack asked.
"Well now we have to spread the word. Let the rest of the city's Newsies know about the strike," I explained, earning a pleased smile from David.
A light blush hit my cheeks. Why did his approval matter all of a sudden.
"You heard the man, lets go spread the word!" Jack called.
"We'll take Harlem!" Mush and Blink called, the latter dragging his best friend out the door.
"I'll take Midtown," Race said around the cigar between his lips.
"I got Bronx's," Crutchie said happily
"Alright. And Bumlets, and Specs and Skittery, you take Queens. Pie Eater! Snoddy! East Side! Snipeshooter, you go with 'em. So, what about Brooklyn?" Jack asked, looking around the room.
All the boys looked into their water or anywhere else but Jack.
"Come on, Spot Conlon's turf. What'sa matta? You scared of Brooklyn? Hey, finch you tellin me you're scared of Brooklyn" I called scoffing.
"Hey I ain't scared a' Brooklyn, Y'know, Spot Conlon makes me a bit jittery," Finch said defending himself defended.
"Fine Me and Gunny'll take Brooklyn," Jack said with a huff.
"Davey's coming too," I said
Both Jack and David looked at me shocked.
"Me!" David asked.
"Yeah," I shrugged, nonchalantly,
"No, I-" David started at the same time jack strated. "No he-"
"Why's everyone so scared of Brooklyn," A feminine voice asked
Katherine Plumber enter the restaurant, dramatically, notepad and pencil in hand, camera round her neck. I stood from my seat and stormed over to her.
"What are you doin here!" I demanded.
"Asking a question. Have you got an answer?" She asked.
Jack walked over to us and stood close to Katherine, making me glare at her hard.
"Brooklyn is the sixth largest city in the entire world, ya got Brooklyn, ya got the motherload." Jack explained. "Say, as someone who works for the New York Sun, you spend an awful lotta time round the world. What's that about huh? You following me?" He grinned his voice turning flirtatious as he continued.
I huffed and walked away over to David. He gave me a sympathetic smile. How in such a short time that I've know this kid did he see right through me. I sighed quietly and leaned into him. Katherine rolled her eyes and stepped away from me, looking straight at me.
"The only thing i'm following is a story," She told Jack.
She strolled around the room for a moment before inspiration light her eyes.
"A rag-tag group of ragamuffins wants to take on the kingmakers of new york. Do you think you have a chance," She giggled.
"Shouldn't you be at the ballet!" I snapped.
"Aw, is the question too difficult? I'll rephrase. Will the richest most powerful men in New York give the time of day to a gang of kids who haven't got a nickel to their names?" She asked, with a raised brow, walking towards Crutchie
"Hey! You don't gotta be insulting! I got a nickel." Crutchie muttered.
"So I guess you're a couple of David's looking to take on a Goliath." She pressed.
"Umm, we never said that," David said, his brow furrowed.
"You didn't have to, I did," She taunted smirking.
"Hey! We only gots one Davey," I corrected, leaning my head back to rest on his shoulder and grin up at him, making him flush.
"Ya know, I've read a lot of papes in my day and I aint neva noted no goil reporter writing hard news," Jack said defending us.
"Wake up to the new century, The game's changing. How bout an exclusive interview," She asked batting her lashes.
"Ain't ya beat entertainment!" I snapped angrily.
"Oh, this is entertaining, so far" She laughed at me.
Anger bled up my neck and into my cheeks, who did this girl think she was. We weren't something to laugh at! We were trying to better the life of kids all around the city and she was treating us as a joke.
"Well what was the last news story you wrote," I snarled.
"What was the last strike you organized," she snapped back, getting in my face
My hands clenched into fists at my sides and I took a step closer to her, anger making tremors run through my body. Jack was at my side instantly.
"Why don't you shut your mouth before IT shuts it for ya!" I hollered.
"Woah, Allegra," Jack whispered in my ear.
I shoved him off my shoulder and stepped closer to Katherine so we were toe to toe.
She took a step back worry flickering in her eyes.
"Look im just saying that you don't know what you're doing. You barely have a grade school education," She said.
"Now hold on just a minute the only well educated ones are Gunner and The Jacobs," Jack said trying to smooth the situation.
David pulled me back to him and Les. Jack looked behind his shoulder at me and sadness flickered in his eyes before he turned back to Katherine. Romeo of course had to make his presence know to a skirt and inserted himself between the pair.
"Ya outta ya beat Kelly, Methinks the lady needs to be handled by a real man." Romeo grinned, kissing her hand.
"You think's wrong romeo," Katherine said pulling her hand away.
"Hey! How'd she know my name!" Romeo demanded.
Jack laughed and shoved him away.
"I'd say we save any exclusive for a real reporter," David said, entwining our fingers.
I looked down confused but didn't release his hold.
"What! Do you see anyone else giving you the time of day? Well....alright, alright, alright. So, i'm just busting out of the social pages, but you give me the exclusive, let me run with the story and promise, i'll get you the space," she begged.
"Hey, you really think she could get us the space Gunner?" Crutchie asked.
All the boy looked at me I sighed and looked down.
"Shut down a paper like The World, and you're gonna make the front page," Katherine stressed.
"You want a story fine. Be in front of the circulation gate tomorrow mornin and you'll get one. And bring ya camera, you'll want a picture of this," I said crossing my arms.
Katherine squealed and ran across the restaurant and pulled me into a tight hug.
"Oh thank you thank you thank you!" She grinned.
"Alright, alright, alright," I groaned and tried to pull away from her.
"Really Gunner Rose, thank you. Im also sorry," She whispered.
"It's fine Katherine," I said patting her shoulder awkwardly.
"Hot," Jack commented smirking at me. I shot him a fake glare.
"Alright boys and My little Rose, go play outside! I gotta get ready for dinner!I gots payin customers what needs the tables," Jacobi called from the kitchen.
"Sure thing Jacobi!" I called back. "Ya heard the man! Sides we gots Newsies to visit! Get em goin!" I hollered.
"Ah, ya won't be shooing us off when we's gots our face on the front page!" Race laughed.
"Yea right, he knows us too well. Come me boys. We gots us a Spotty to visit!"