Chapter Twenty; Snyder at the Lodge house

Jack and I made our way up the steps to the Lodge house and he was immediately bum rushed by the boys, yammering excitedly. I looked around for Spot and found him leaning against the wall, chatting with Race. Spot elbowed him and nodded in our direction. I sent them a nervous smile. They sent me identical looks, arms crossed over his chest, a glowers on their features.

"Sorry boys, I believe the royalty needs to hold court," I Called dragging Jack upstairs, Spot and Race following suit.

"Gunner Rose! You have some serious explaining to do!" Race snapped.

"You think you can just run off with the reporter girl without telling any of us!" Spot finished. "I come here to comfort my girl only to find out, no one knows where she is!"

I looked down, an ashamed blush creeping.

"I got him back, isn't that all that matters." I whispered.

"Wait, you didn't tell them where you was goin!" Jack demanded.

"Oh, like you did," I shot back.

We glared at each other before Spots hand lashed out and grabbed Jack, ,shoving him against the wall.

"Spot!" I yelped

"Do you know how badly you hurt her Kelly," Spot growled, his fist tightening in Jack's shirt.

His eyes looking as if they could turn red any moment.
"Look Spot I-"
Spot cut him off.

"No Jack, you ain't weaselin' ya way outta this one. Ya words aint gonna save ya. I aint neva seen her cry so hard since we nearly lost you ta Snyder again! Her eyes lost all light. I ain't heard her laugh in three days. THREE DAYS!" Race shouted.

"I WAS AN IDIOT GUYS!" Jack shouted back, shoving Spot off of him.

They stared at each other fists clenched. Race and I stepped between them, so no one could start swinging.

"Yeah ya got that right!" Spot snarled.

"What do you want me to say! I Lost Crutchie-"
"Do not use the gimp as an excuse,"
"Watch ya mouth Spot," I snapped instantly

He ignored me, attention focused solely on Jack.

"You abandoned her! Why should I even listen to either of youse before I soak ya," Spot growled, his arm twitching.

"I thought she would be happier!" Jack shouted finally!

Spot and Race looked at him confused. Jack groaned and flopped on a bed, burying his face in his hands.

"I thought if I left, she would be happy. She could love onea youse. Be safe and protected. I knew she was in good hands and that I couldn't hurt her anymore. That she could love you." Jack whispered.

"You're one dumb man Jack Kelly," Race hissed.

Jack looked at him surprised.

"You're one dumb idiot to think that not only she could love onea us, but that we could love her anymore than we do. She is our sister, and of course we woulda protected her from anything and everything but we couldn't love her and she couldn't love us!" Race explained through clenched teeth.

"Do you know how often she came to Brooklyn, dopey smile on her face and some new story about somethin great you did?" Spot hissed.

"How often we would stay up late so she could talk about why you didn't love her like she loved you," Race sighed.

"Guys!" I pleaded. "He doesn't need to know anymore!" I said, my face burning.

"Alright, one more thing," Race said.

He stood in front of Jack an unreadable expression on his face. I held my breath and prepared for the worst. I let it out when Race pulled him into a hug.

"It's good to have ya back man,"

We all headed back down stairs to help with the rally signs.

"So, did I spell it right, Kloppman?" Romeo asked.

"Very good, very good," Kloppman ruffled his hair and smiled at him.

My chest constricted painfully when I saw Snyder walk through the front doors. I felt rage well as he leafed through Kloppmans registry book. Kloppman nearly slammed the book closed on his fingers. Race tossed me a hat and I stuffed my hair up in it and hung my head, trying to stay out of view.

"Excuse me. Can I help you?" He asked trying to be polite.

"You have a boy who calls himself Jack Kelly? And a Girl who calls herself Gunner Rose. I wish to see them." Snyder demanded.

"Jack Kelly? Never heard of him. Never. Definitely aint neva heard of no Gunner Rose, Any of you boys ever hear of a Jack Kelly or Gunner Rose?" Kloppman asked turning to the boys

"That's an unusual name for these parts." Mush said.

Jack turned the corner and nearly allowed himself to be seen by Snyder before I shoved him back and pointed to Snyder.

"Oh! You mean Jack and Gunner KELLY!" Race said slipping a cigar between his teeth.

He took a few puffs before continuing.

"They was here, but they put an egg in theys shoes and beat it," Race joked causing a collection of laughter.

Snyder glared, rolling his eyes before turning back to Kloppman,

"I have reason to believe he's an escaped prisoner, possibly dangerous."

"Ooo, dangerous? I better look in my files. This way please." Kloppman said,

He distracted Snyder while the boys built a wall so Jack and I could scram.

"Give to the Newsies Strike fund mister?" Race asked.

Snyder smirked, putting a coin in Race's can.

"Be safe," I heard Blink hiss to us

"Thanks guys, you too" I whispered, quickly kissing his cheek, before we ran off to the Jacobs.