Chapter Ten; Strike! Strike! Strike strike strike!

"Hey Gunner," Jack said his voice pulling me out of my head.

"Yeah Jack?" I answered looking up at him from my spot on the ground.
"I need ta talk to youse ," He said simply.
He grabbed my hand and pulled me up dragging me away from the few newsies that had begaN to return.
"Hey ain't we supposed to be strikin, not talkin?" I said, trying to douse the butterflies in my stomach.
"Allegra," He said seriously.
"Alright, being serious." I sighed.
"Look, it's just...If things go south today I want you to run. Spot ain't here. Go to Brooklyn, don't come back till youse get the all clear from me," Jack said, his grip on hands tightening.
"No! I ain't leavin my boys! They're gonna need me! I ain't runnin again-"
"Allegra!" He snapped.
I flinched slightly. He sighed and fluffed his hair exasperatedly.
"You are not going back to the refuge! They'll be lookin for ya twice as hard after this. If this is the only way for me to keep you safe then that's what you're doin!" He snapped. "Just promise me this one thing!" He begged.
I searched his eyes for a moment before sighing.
"I promise, now I think the boys are waiting," I said trying to lighten the air.
He grinned and slung an arm over my shoulders
"Is anyone else coming?" Davey asked.
"I got no clue," Jack shrugged.
"Honey I'm back!" Race announced loudly.
"Racey!" I called dramatically back.
"So ya seen Spot, right? What'd he say?" Race asked flopping next to Jack and I.
"Yeah we seen em," Jack snorted.
I rolled my eyes and elbowed him.
"Him and about 20 of his gang," David said.
"And you know them Brooklyn boys...Big," Boots shuddered.
I looked at Race and we both laughed.
"And I gotta say Spot was pretty Impressed, wasn't he?" Jack asked David.
"I'd say," David confirmed.
"So they're with us?" Race asked shocked.
"Well that depends on how ya look at it Racey. Ya see Brooklyn, then they're with us!" I said with a fake smile.
"They want proof we're not gonna flake at the first sign of trouble" Jack said with an eye roll.
"With good reason," I snorted, crossing my arms.
"Are we?" Mush asked.
"Of course not!" Blink reprimanded.
Blink looked at me and I nodded giving him permission to whack his friend upside the head.
"Sides there's Harlem-"
"Not so fast Boss. Harlem wants to know what Brooklyn's gonna do," Mush said, cutting Jack off.
"Well what about Queens?" Jack asked, sitting up, his arm falling from my shoulders.
"Hey! Queens'll be here backing us up" Specs started
"Ah see there's we go-"
"....as soon as they get the nod from Brooklyn," Specs finished cutting off Jack.
"I unfortunately got the same Fish eye in Midtown," Race complained.
We heard a cackling and we looked over seeing Oscar and Morris swaggering towards us.
"Oh, hey Oscar," Jack said with an eye roll.
"Looks like it was bum information we got about a strike happening here today. Not that i'm complaining, my skull-busin arm could use a day of rest," Oscar laughed rubbing his knuckles.
"Are we doin the right thing?" Les asked, looking up at me with wide eyes.
"Sure we are kiddo," I said pushing his hat down over his eyes.
"M-maybe we should put his off a couple days," Romeo stuttered.
"No! We can't just put this off!" Davey exclaimed, rounding on Jack "Say something! Tell them if we back off now, they'll never listen to us again!"
Jack sputtered and looked at me.
"Alright boys, time to watch a queen at work." I said.
I whistled loudly and got their attention. I sent them all my most vicious glare.
"You should be ashamed! We can not back down boys! Alright? No matter who does or doesn't show! Like it or not here's where we make our stand!" I shouted. "We don't need Brooklyn!"
"Can't we just not show up for work?" Bumlets asked.
"No! They'll just replace us! They need to see us stand our ground. We ain't goin no wheres!" I snapped.
I turned back to Jack and David.
"They're all yours." I said.
"I don't know what to say!" David defended.
"Hey walkin mouth, you'll think somethin," I said, punching him lightly in the arm.
He smiled and blushed slightly.
David; Now is the time to seize the day, stare down the odds and seize the day. Minute by minute that's how you win it. We will find a way, but let us seize the day,
I sighed as the boys ignored David.
"Hey, Jack, look what I made!" Crutchie said excitedly waving a strike flag hanging from his crutch. "STRIKE!" He shouted, letting out a growl.
I giggled and kissed his cheek making him blush brightly.
"Good huh?" He asked brightly.
"That's great!" Race said then turned to me and sent me a look.
"That's pitiful," He whispered.
"Don't be so quick to judge! Maybe Pulitzer will see it from his window and take pity on us!" Les said.
"Stop it both of you! He's doing more than either of youse!" I snapped.
They both looked down ashamed and muttered apologies.
"Alright any sign of reinforcements?" Jack asked Specs who shook his head. "Davey?"
Davey; Courage cannot erase our fears. Courage is when we face our fears. Tell those with power, safe in their tower, we will not obey!
I watched as Dave walked around the crowd of disheartened boys, lifting their spirits, pausing when he stood back at Crutchies side. A warm feeling spreading through me as the grinned at each other
Davey/Jack; Behold the brave battalion that stands side by side.
They grinned and slung their arms around my shoulders. I put mine around their wastes and hugged them. I watched as they went their separate ways. David going to Les and Jack going to Crutchie.
Davey/Jack; Too few in number and too proud to hide! Then say to the others who did not follow through. We're still your brothers and we will fight for you!
Jack grabbed Crutchies chin forcing him to look at him when he called them brothers and then grabbed his shoulder and pulled him into a hug, to hide their misty eyes. The circulation bell rang and I ran to stand by Jack. Crutchie grabbed my hand and I laced our fingers together squeezing them comfortingly.
Davey/Jack/Gunner/Crutchie; Now is the time to seize the day, stare down the odds and seize the day
The other Newsies joined us arms going around shoulders, smiles being made in every direction
All; Once we've begun if we stand as one someday becomes somehow! And a prayer becomes a vow
Jack; and he strike starts right DAMN NOW!

We all stood our ground as Weasel sauntered over to us, a pleased smile on his face.
"The sun is up! The birds is singin, it's a beautiful day to crack some heads! Step right up and get your papes!" Weasel teased.
"Hey, you're working or trespassing. What's ya pleasure," Morris cackled, cracking his knuckles.
A bunch of scabs decided to make their presence known and marched up to the distribution center to buy their papes.
"Hey? Who're they?" Davey asked
"Scabs Davey, whatya think?"
"Think they can just waltz right in here and take our jobs!" Blink snapped.
"We can handle em!" Crutchie exclaimed.
"Let's soak em!" The boys shouted
"NO!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. David and Jack rushing forward to hold them back.
"Hold it! Hold it! We all stand together or we don't have a chance. Jack!" David yelled desperately.
"No, I hear ya," He said more to himself than Davey, his back turned to us, fists clenching and unclenching
Jack turned to look at us then back at the scabs and I froze worried that he was going to throw the first punch. He turned back to me and threw a wink in my direction before addressing the Scabs.
"Listen, fellas, I know someone put you up to this. They're probably payin' you some extra money too, yeah? Well it ain't right! Pulitzer thinks we are gutter rats with no respect for nothin', including each other. Is that what we are, huh? Well, we stab each other in the back and yeah, that's who we are. But if we stand together, we change the whole game. It ain't just about us. All across this city, there are boys and girls who should be out playing', or goin' to school but instead they are slavin' to support themselves and their folks. Ain't no problem in being poor, and not a one of us complains if the work we do is hard. All we ask is a square deal! Fellas, for the sake of all the kids in every sweatshop, factory, and slaughterhouse in this town, I beg you. Throw down your papers and join the strike." His voice cracking.
I looked at Jack In pure admiration. I always knew he had a way with words but that brought tears to my eyes, if that didn't get the boys to join us then... Jack held out his hand to me and I walked forward to take it. I looked at the scabs and batted my eyelashes
"Please," I said pouting my lips
One of the scabs walked over to Jack and I and tried to puff himself up. He threw his papes down and shook Jack's hands
"I'm with ya!"
Davey; Now is the time to seize the day!
David stopped another Scab but he pushed around David, but the boys stopped him before he could leave the square
Newsies; Now is the time to seize the day!
Davey; Answer the call and don't delay
Newsies; Answer the call and don't delay
All; Wrongs will be righted when if we're united let us seize the day!
The scab paused and looked at all of us, He threw down his papes and t
hrew his bag at Weasel.
"Ya kiddin me!" The third scoffed.
"At the end of the day, who're ya gonna trust? Them? Or Weasel?" The other scab said with a raised eyebrow.
Jack; Now let em hear it low and clear!
Jack and I stood on either side of the last newsboy we needed to join us.
Newsies; Now let em hear it loud and clear!
Gunner; Like it or not we're drawing near!
Newsies; Like it or not we're drawing near

We took steps closer
All; Proud and defiant we'll slay the giant judgment day is here!
The last scab groaned and tossed his papes
"What the hell, my ol mans gonna kill me anyways!"
We all cheered, Race grabbed me and spun me around in a hug.
All; Houston to Harlem, look what's begun! One for all and all for one! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! OH! STRIKE!
(A/N: Insert wicked cool dance moves and such i can not write!)
"Hey! Gunner! Davey! Help! Put me down!"
I whipped my head around to see Oscar dragging Les away
"Les!" I shouted, going to chase after them but Morris stood in my way.
Jack looked at me, his eyes narrowing when he saw Morris and I circling each other. He took a step towards me.
"I'm fine! Get Les!"I snapped.
"Aww whatcha gonna do Ya majesty? Goils can't hit," Morris teased.
I growled and launched myself at him, landing punch after punch until I was pulled off by someone and thrown across the square. I landed with a thud and groaned.
All; Now is the time to seize the day, they're gonna see there's hell to pay! Nothing can break us! No one can make us quit before we're done! One for all and all for one! One for all and all....For one!
Newsies; Newsies forever, second to none! One for all and all for one!

"Gunner! Jack!" I heard Katherine yell over our chanting.
She was beaming at us, adoration in her eyes, cameraman by her side.
"Jack! Say cheese!" I laughed, pointing at Katherine.
He beamed and hoisted me up onto his shoulder for Katherine to take the picture. After the flash had gone off he lowered me and hugged me tight.
"I can't believe it," He whispered.
"Me neither," I laughed.
He leaned his forehead against mine, he looked me directly in my eyes. I thought I saw his eyes dart to my lips, we began to lean closer...A whistle blew and our happy moment was interrupted as the Delanceys and Bulls rushed into the square.
"The bulls! Gunner go!" Jack hollered shoving me away and taking off into the crowd.
I was trapped with my boys in the square as the Bull blocked our escape.
"It's time to teach these kids a lesson," Weasel snarled.
"Newsies get em!" I heard Jack yell.
Some boys grabbed papes and flung them while others began to throw punches. The bulls rushed us, fists flying. Grown men not caring that they were hurting children. Another whistle rang out and Snyder entered. I felt my blood run cold. I tried to call out to Romeo as he rushed to Snyder but I couldn't find my voice.
"It's about time you guys showed up! They're slaughtering us!" Romeo said, his voice cracking with fear.
I screamed as Snyder's hand lashed out and slapped Romeo.
"Gunner Rose," I heard Snyder sneer and he started looking for me.
I fought and fought grown men trying to pull my hair from my head and keep me in one place. I felt someone grab my waist and begin to drag me off. I struggled and flailed.
"Let go!" I snapped trying to break free.
"Allegra stop!" Jack's voice growled after I smacked him in the face.
"Jack!" I breathed and allowed him to drag me away, hiding from Snyder.
I heard someone crying out in continuous pain. I looked around for the source and saw the Delanceys beating Crutchie.
"Jack! Gunner! Ah! Help!" He cried.
"Crutchie!" I screamed.
"Get her out of here Racetrack!" I heard Jack snap.
I felt hands grab me and drag me away from the square, kicking and screaming. I watched helplessly as Crutchie looked for Jack and I as Snyder dragged him off by his bum leg.
"It's off to the refuge for you little man," Snyder snapped spitting in his face, clapping the handcuffs on him
"No!" I screamed "Jack! Stop him!" I cried, tears blurring my vision.
"Jack!" Crutchie screamed helplessly.
"Crutchie!" Jack shouted back
I was pulled from the square Crutches screams echoing in my ears. Fear coursing through my veins as I heard
"Jack Kelly! Get Him!"