Chapter Twenty Three; Brooklyn's Here/The Rally

I stood next to a heartbroken David as we watched the Newsboys from all around New York file in. I kept an eye out looking for Jack as familiar faces piled into the theatre.

I jumped when an arm wrapped around my waist, turning to see Spot smiling proudly at me.

"Spotty!" I breathed excitedly, flinging my arms around him.

"Hey there sweet thing," He beamed.

"I can't believe you came!" I gushed

"Of course, My queen called and I answered. You and your boys proved yourself somethin fierce. Sorry about Crutchie," He said, whispering the last part.

I smiled softly and nodded my agreeance. He took my hand and squeezed it comfortingly as Medda emerged.

"Welcome newsies of New York City! Welcome to my theater and to your revolution!' She cheered.

"And let's hear it for Spot Conlon and Brooklyn!" Davey cheered, encouraging the others to as well.

"BROOKLYN!" Spots boys cheered.

I rolled my eyes as Spot strolled to center stage and flexed his biceps at the crowd.

"Lets see what Pulitzers gotta say to you now!" Spot grinned cockily.

"Any sign of Jack?" Blink called to us.

My face fell as the boys began chanting Jack's name. Davey looked between Medda and I for answers. I shook my head and Medda sighed.

"Sorry kid, no sign of him. Looks like you're doin this solo." Medda sighed.

Davey began to try and talk over the clamoring newsies with little luck.

I cleared my throat gaining Races attention who hit Blink and Mush causing them to look at me with their full attention.

"NEWSIES OF NEW YORK! I BELIEVE YOUR QUEEN WANTS YOUR ATTENTION," I called calmly, yet loudly.

They quieted down, some of the younger ones being helped by the others.

"The floor is yours Davey." I smiled, motioning him forward.

"Newsies of New York! Look at what we've done! We got newsies from every pape and every neighborhood here tonight. Tonight, you're making history. Alright? Tonight, we declare that we're just as much a part of the newspaper as any reporter or editor. right? We're done being treated like kids. From now on, they'll treat us as equals!"

I grinned proudly as I watched the shy boy we started with cause the boys to cheer excitedly. My eyes scanned the crowd when I noticed Katherine sitting in the back, trying to hide in the shadows. My eyes hardened and my fists clenching, until my angry thoughts were interrupted by Jack.

"If you want them to talk to you like an adult, start acting' like one. Don't just run your mouth, make some sense."

The boys cheered as he entered. I smiled and walked over kissing his cheek, frowning as I studied his smileless face.

"And here's Jack!" Davey smiled, clapping him on the shoulder.

"Alright! Pulitzer raised the price of papes without so much as a word to us, and that was a lousy thing to do. Cause we got mad and, no, we ain't gonna be pushed around. So we go on strike. And then what happens? Pulitzer lowers the price so's that we'll go back to work."
The boys interrupted him cheering again, but he was quick to stop them.

"And then... a few weeks later... he hikes his price again, and don't think he won't, so what do we do then? And what do we do when he decides to hike up his price again after that? Fellas, we gotta be realistic. If we don't work, we don't get paid. How long can you go without money, huh? Believe me. However long, Pulitzer can go longer."

I shot him a confused look, I tried to take his hand but he shook me off as the boys began to clamor again, talking over the arguing.

"But I have spoken to Mr. Pulitzer, and he has given me his word, if we disband the union, he will not raise prices again for two years.Hey! I said we should take the deal!" Jack concluded.

I took a step back from him. It felt like I was being slapped in the face. Why the hell would he say something like that! I watched as he began to try arguing his point until Spot shoved him and they stared eachother down until Jack left the theatre, shooting me a look, his face emotionless, but his eyes sad.

"Some boyfriend you got yaself Gunny," Spot scoffed.

"Shove off spot!" I growled, shoving him, clenching my fists again.

His jaw clenched and he took a step towards me.

"You lookin to rumble?" He asked, spitting at my feet.

"You wanna?" I asked, stepping closer too.

Davey jumped between us and prevented one of us from throwing a punch.

"Come on guys! You can't divide on me now!" He begged.

"Talk to the Queen over there who's willing to roll over for the wannabe Scab,"Spot hissed.

My face flushed in anger and I shoved Davey out of the way and stood up to tower over Spot. I felt a thrill when uncertainty flickered in his eyes, never have seen me as mad as I was in this moment.

"Do you forget who you're talking to Spot Conlon! I am with Jack on many things! I love him! But this? Rollin over for Pulitzer? This aint one of them! If we don't win this strike I will never see Crutchie again and I could care less what happens between Jack and I. He betrayed us, I started this strike. We will finish it. Without him," I hissed.

Spot deflated and smiled at me, that easy going, cocky smile I always loved.

"There's my Queen," He grinned.

I let the tension leave my body and shoved him once more for good measure.

"Jerk," I muttered.

"Hey, I needed to make sure that Fire wasn't just in ya hair anymore!" He defended.

"Ya almost gave yourself a shiner," I snarked back.

"Save ya strength for the scabs and bulls,"
I nodded and turned back to the boys, who were watching us with wary eyes.

"Newsies, We have a strike to win!"