Chapter Fifteen; The letter

We sat around Jacobi's talking and planning for a rally of all the newsboys in New York when the door burst open

"Hey Gunner!" Specs called.
"What's up Specs?" I asked turning from Race jabbering on about a hot tip he got from Spot.
"It's from Crutchie...It's for you and Jack,"
I lunged and snatched the letter from him and ripped it open. My eyes scanning the note. His voice ringing in my ears
Crutchie; How are you? I'm ok, guess I wasn't much help yesterday. Snyder soaked me real good with my crutch. Oh yeah! Guys this is Crutchie, by the way.
My eyes began to water as I let out a shaky laugh. His sense if humor was still in tact.
Crutchie; These here guards, they is rude. They say 'Jump boy' you jump or ya screwed... But the food here so bad here so far...cuz so far they ain't brung us no food!
I felt my rage boil inside me. Crutchie was too sweet of an angel to be in a place like that. God help Snyder once I was able to get my hands on the devilman.
Crutchie; I miss the rooftop. Sleepin right out in the open, in ya penthouse in the sky. There's a cool breeze blowing, even in July...Anyway, so guess what! There's this secret escape plan I got. Tie a sheet to the bed, toss the end out the window, climb down and take off like a shot! Maybe though, not tonight. I ain't slept and my legs still ain't right!
I felt the tears well up and begin to fall.
Crutchie; Hey, but Pulitzer he's goin down! And then Jack...Rose. I was thinkin we might just go...like you were sayin, where it's clean and green and pretty with no buildings in your way! And ya ridin palominos, everyday! Once that train makes....I'll be fine, good as new. But there's one thing I need you to do! On the rooftop ya said that a family looks out for eachother. So you tell all the fellas from me to protect one another! The end,
Ya friend...
Ya best Friend....
Ya brother...
Crutchie!

A sob fell from my lips. I sealed the letter and handed it back to Specs.
"Go find Jack and give it to him! Show him what he's doing and who he's failing." I hissed.
Specs nodded and ran off to find Jack.
"Gunner, are you ok?" Katherine asked, looking up from her conversation with Davey.
I shook my head, trying to keep the tears from falling. She came over and wrapped her arms around me. I leaned into her embrace, basking in the comfort.
"Ya think he'll find ol' Jacky boy?" Race asked.
"I hope so...He needs to remember why we started this damn strike. When we go against Pulitzer and the Bulls, we do it for Crutchie. For all the kids like him, and so no one has to be stuck in that damnable refuge again."
"He will. Jack loves you Gunner, He'll realize," Katherine promised.
I forced a watery smile and prayed to god she was right