Chapter fourteen; The King Of New York

"Good morning, gentlemen." Katherine greeted as we walked into Jacobi's.
"Ey! would you get a load of these glum mugs. Why, can these really be the same boys who made front page of the New York Sun?" I teased tossing a pape at David.
"What! Front page!" David asked star-struck.
Katherine and I looked at eachother with smug looks.
"Lemme see!" Race exclaimed snatching the pape from Davey. "Well would ya look at that! Thats me!"
"And ya ain't even dead!" Mush laughed, smacking Race on the shoulder.
"Wheres me? Huh Where's my name!" Race exclaimed, trying to look over Races Shoulder.
"Just wait till my old man gets a load of this! I won't be the last in line for the tub tonight," Romeo laughed, slicking his hair back.
"I can't believe you got us in the papes!" Davey exclaimed.
"Well, Gunner helped. But you got yourselves in the papes. We just wrote about it." Katherine blushed.
I elbowed her and looked at Davey winking when she blushed harder.
"Newsies stop The World. Now that's a headline even Elmer could sell," Snipeshooter cackled.
"What else ya got?" Boots asked.
"Well...Mines the only story that ran, Pulitzer declared a blackout on strike news, so even im im shut down now....Hey, I heard they arrested Crutchie. Did they get Jack too?" She asked.
I put my head down, my heart falling again.
"The Delanceys are spreading the story that he took it on the land at the first sight of the cops," Romeo said.
"Jack don't run from no fight!" Les exclaimed, jumping on a chair
I laughed sarcastically. Even if I loved the idiot, I was still bitter with him.
"Hey! Get down, short stuff! I'm just reporting the news," Romeo said, pulling him down.
Race groaned and glared at Davy.
"For jumpin Jack's sake, can you stow his curiosity for long enough to drink in the moment! I'm Famous!" Race gushed, hugging the paper to his chest.
"Yeah what of it!" Skittery complained.
"Aww, stow it. You've been glum all day," Mush complained, shoving him,
"Hey! Glum and dumb!" Race exclaimed pushing their faces together "When ya famous the world's ya Erster!"
"What?" I asked, wrinkling my nose.
"Erster!" He repeated as if we were the dumb ones
"Your erster! Ya fancy clam with the pearl inside!" Race explained.
"Oyster?" I corrected.
"That's what I said!" He groaned.
"Well what's bein famous pay?" Skittery asked

Race; Ya don't need money when you're famous. They gives ya whatever ya want! Gratis!
Blink; Such as?
Mush; A pair of new shoes with matching laces!
Race; A permanent box at the sheepsheads races!
Romeo; Pastrami on rye with a sour pickle!
Finch; My person puss on a wooden nickel!
Race; Look at me! I'm the king of New York! Suddenly I'm respectable, starin right at'cha, lousy with sta'cha!
I snatched the paper from Race and laid back on the table clutching it above me
Gunner; Nobbin wit all the muckety-mucks, i'm blowin my dough and goin deluxe!
Race laughed and snatched the pape back
Race; And there I be ain't I pretty?
The boys pushed me up and Race threw an arm around me
Race/Gunner; It's my city! I'm the king of New York!
Boots; A solid gold watch with a chain to twirl it
Les; My very own bed and an indoor terlet.
Snipeshooter; A barbershop haircut that costs a quarter.
Davey; A regular desk for this star reporter

Davey gushed, tossing Katherine the paper.
Race; Amscray punk! She's the king of New York!
Katherine; Whod'a thunk! I'm the king of New York!
All;
We was sunk! Pale and pitiful!
Katherine; Buncha wet noodles!
All; Pulitzers Poodles!
Les; Almost about to drown in the drink,
Gunner; Till she fished us out
Spot; and drowned us in ink!
Katherine;
So lets get Drunk
Newsies; Yeah!!!!
Katherine; Not with liquor! Fame works quicker! When you're king of New York
All; I gotta be either dead or dreamin, but look at that pape with my face beamin! Tomorrow they may wrap fishes in it, but I was a star for one whole minute!
Insert Totally awesome dance break!
Newsies; Look at me i'm the king of New York! Wait an see this is gonna make both the Delanceys pee in their pant-sies. Flashspots are shootin bright as the sun i'm one highfalutin son of a gun! I guarantee though I crapped out I ain't tapped out i'm the king New- Friends may flee, let em ditch ya, snap one pit'cha You're the king of New- History! Front page story, guts and glory, I'm the king of...Of New York!