Chapter Nine; Them Brooklyn Boys

"I've never been to Brooklyn before," David said as we made our way over the Brooklyn Bridge.
"I spent a month there one night," Boots said.
I sent him a puzzled look and shook my head.
"Jack! Come on, yell with me!" I said excitedly dragging him towards the railing.
"AHHH!" we screeched leaning over the side of the bridge, David looked at us with a light smile.
"Come on Davey!" I laughed running ahead of the boys.
"Why's she so excited?" David asked.
"Her and Spot are best friends, he took care uh her when I got almost got hauled off to the refuge for a second time," Jack explained.
I sighed and slowed down, allowing the boys to catch up. Those few weeks I thought I lost Jack were hell. I thought id never see him again.
"So...is this Spot Conlon really dangerous," David asked nervously.
I sent him an evil looking smirk
"Oh, yes" I giggled as we approached the docks.
"Ya goin somewhere Kelly?" Bones asked Jack Crossing his arms, him and a few others blocking our path.
"Get out the way Bones for I toss ya in the harbor!" I snapped shoving past him.
"S-sorry Gunner Rose Ma'am," He stuttered.
"Well if it ain't Jack be nimble, Jack be quick," I heard Spot tease.
I looked up a pile of crates as Spot lept down, my face lighting up like a kid on christmas
"And the prettiest flower Ise eva seen," He said kissing my hand, giving me bedroom eyes
I giggled and hugged him tightly, relishing in the comforting embrace he saved only for me.
I watched him and Jack size each other up before they spit shook.
"Heya Spot, How come he gets a spit shake and I always get dainty hand kisses!" I complained
Spot sauntered over and pulled me in close by the waist, my hands resting on his chest.
"Cuz a pretty gal like youse deserves the royal treatment," He winked
"Yeah, yeah we ain't here for the flirt show, We're here on business," Jack said stepping between us.
Spot backed away slightly and sent Jack a smirk.
Boots approached with caution and held out a handful of marbles.
"I gotta couple uh real sharp shooters for ya Spot," Boots said
"Nice finds Boots," Spot grinned, Pulling his slingshot from his back pocket.
"Yeah, I've been hearing things from little boids. Things from Harlem, Queens, all ova.They've been chirping in my ear" Spot said aiming over David's head.
David looked nervous that he was aiming at him.
"Jacky-boy and Gunnie Rosies Newsis is playin like they goin on strike," Spot said firing a marble smirking as David flinched.
"We ain't playin!" I snapped
Spot lowered his slinger and raised an eyebrow at me.
"We are going on strike" David defended, taking a step towards Spot
Spot rolled his eyes and got in David's face. It was kinda funny seeing David cower even if Spot was a whole head shorter than him.
"Oh yeah? Yeah? What's this, Jacky-Boy? Some kinda walkin mouth?" Spot sneered
"Yeah, it's a mouth! A mouth with a brain, and if you got half a one you'll listen to him," Jack said.
I nodded at David when he looked at me for some kind of confirmation.
"W-well,we started the strike, but we can't do it alone. So, we're talking to newsies around the city" David started.
"Yeah, so they told me. But what they tell you," Spot smirked.
"They're waiting to see what Spot Conlon is doing, you're the key. That Spot Conlon is the most respected and famous newsie in all of New York, and probably everywhere else. And if Spot Conlon joins the strike, then they join and we'll be unstoppable. So you gotta join, I mean... well, you gotta!" David said, getting excited, a small smile on his face.
"Way to boost his ego Davey," I groaned.
Spot flashed me a cocky grin before turning back to Jack.
"Ya right Jacky-boy, brains.But I got brains too, and more than just half a one. How do I know you punks won't turn tail first time some goon comes at ya with a club? How do I know ya got what it takes to win?" Spot asked, his expression serious.
"Cuz I'm tellin ya Spot," I answered crossing my arms.
"That ain't good enough Gunner, Ya gotta show me,"
I groaned.
"Come on Spot, You know my boys won't let ya down," I said, pouting.
"I know Gunner, but I trust you more than ya boys. They might run first mention of the refuge." Spot said.
"Drop it Gun, he don't wanna help. Let's go, we gots a strike ta plan," Jack said.
He began to walk down the docks David and boots following suit.
"Gunner, ya got a few?" Spot asked as I turned my back to follow them.
Jack looked back at me and raised an eyebrow. I paused and sighed.
"Sure thing Spotty, Jacky honey, I'll catch up in a few." I called.
Jack groaned but sat on the ground joining a game of Marbles. Spot lead me into the lodge house and up to his room. He shut the door as I sat on his bed.
"Now, Ya ain't come to see me in a month and now ya come ask for my help," Spot tisked.
I laughed at his scolding, a small smile on my face.
"Yeah, well things ain't been easy,"
"He bein good to ya?" He asked seriously.
I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, fluffing it a bit.
"He great, the best friend a goil could want," I whispered.
"Aww, Allegra," He sighed hugging me.
"I just don't get it Spot! He acts like he loves me but he's still chasing every skirt he sees!" I groaned.
"I'll soak him," Spot promised.
I laughed and shoved him playfully.
"Nah, ya don't gotta do that...Why won't ya help us Spot?" I asked.
"I gotta look out for me boys,"
"So do I! I need to keep them safe and warm, fed...I can't do that with the jack up," I said.
"Prove they're for real Gun and I will, You know i'll always protect ya, take care of ya" Spot said, taking my hand.
"Now bout this Davey," Spot said.
"David's a good guy, he's tryin to help his family get by. His pop got hurt on the job and he didn't have a union to protect him, He understands the need to have a fair work environment,"
"He seems to be given you eyes," Spot said, protectiveness covering his voice.
"Not Davey, he knows how I feel about Jack. He just wants to help." I said
Spot raised his eyebrow at me and I just rolled my eyes, leaning my head to rest against his shoulder, basking in the feeling of love and protectiveness he always gave off to me.
"Best brother ever," I said teasingly.
"Offer still stands Allegra, Brooklyn's always open to ya, I gotta queen position to fill," He teased, kissing my forehead.
I laughed and stood up, wiggling a finger in his face
"Nuh uh Spotty, You ain't pullin that on me. Sides I'm a little bit 'Hatten, ya a lil bit Brooklyn. It'd never work," I teased. "Now I gots a strike to organize and a point to prove."