Chapter Seventeen; Watch what happens reprise *Jack's P.O.V*

I sighed putting down the oils and stepping back to look at the backdrop.
"Oh baby! That's a beauty," Medda said standing beside me. "Here's everything I owe you for the first backdrop, plus this one, and a little extra on account of i'm gonna miss you so much," She gushed forcing money into my hand.
"Miss. Medda I-"
"Jack," She warned.
"Youre a Gem," I reluctantly pocketed the money.
"Just tell me you're going somewhere and not running away,"
"Does it matter," I snorted.
She sighed and put her hand on my shoulder,
"When you go somewhere and it turns out not to be the right place, you can always go somewhere else. But when you're running away, nowhere's ever the right place." She said softly.
"Medda, Santa Fe is-"
"I know what it is, but you gotta think honey, Is your Santa Fe gonna be all you hope it is when you realise the woman you love aint there,"
I looked away from the knowing look in her eyes.
"Well, how about letting a pal knowing you're alive! Where did you go? We couldn't find ya!" Davey's voice exclaimed.
"I'll leave you with your friend," Medda smiled, walking off.
"Did you ever think I wanted to be found?" I asked David coldly.
"Is that a real place; That Santa Fe? Hey! Did ya see the papes? We're front page, above the fold! Oh yes! Above the fold!" Davey gushed, showing me the pape.
I rolled my eyes.
"Good for you,"
"Everyone wants to meet the famous Jack Kelly," Davey started.
"Cept Spotty, He wants ta bash ya brains in," A angel voice drifted from the corner of the room. "And i'm thinkin bout lettin him,"
"Gunner," I whispered.
"Kelly,"
"Spots boys are helpin us at the next rally! We can count on Brooklyn! How bout that!" Davey exclaimed.
Gunner walked over and stood by Davey, her arms across her chest. Her expression unreadable.
"We got stomped into the ground," I scoffed.
"They got us this time, i'll grant you that, but WE took round one. But with press like this, our fight is far from over,"
"Every Newsies who could walk was out this mornin'. Sellin papes like the strike never happened!" I shouted.
"And I was right there with 'em. If I don't sell papes, my folks don't eat, but-"
"Save ya breath, I get it it's hopeless."
"Weasel was nervous this mornin. It isn't over. They're all worried, Delancey didn't say nothin. I didn't get my papes. I walked away, and a lot of other kids did too," Gunner spoke up.
She never looked at me.
"There he is! Just like I said!" Les shouted running into the room, Katherine on his tail.
"For cryin out loud, what does a fella gotta do to get away from you people!" I snapped, frustratedly.
"Break their heart," Gunner muttered under her breath.
I watched as Katherine hugged her gently and glared at me.
"There's no escaping us pal! We're inevitable!" Davey said smugly.
"So what's the story! Can we have the theatre!" Les asked.
"We didn't ask yet Les," Gunner scolded.
"Well what's the hold up! I gotta let my girl know we got a date!"
I tried not to smile at the kid, I really did.
"Ya girl?" Davey asked alarmed.
"Ya heard me! Been swattin skirts away all mornin'. Fame is one intoxicating potion. And this here girl, Sally...She's a plum." Les sighed dreamily.
"Les, not now," Gunner whispered.
I turned to Katherine.
"Word is you wrote a great story,"
"Gunner helped for the most part...You look like hell," She said trying to direct the conversation in a different direction.
I looked at her shocked. I saw a light blush covered her cheeks.
"It was great," I took a step closer to her, "Gunner-"
"Hey, Jack. Wheres that supposed to be?" Les asked, pointing to my Santa Fe Backdrop.
"Santa Fe," Gunner said wistfully.
Katherine groaned.
"I gotta tell you, this 'go west young man' routine is getting tired. Even Horace Greeley moved back to New York." Katherine complained.
"Yep! Then he died!" Les said, unhelpfully.
"Aren't reporters supposed to be non-partisan?"
"Ask a reporter," Katherine snorted.
"Pulitzers had her blacklisted from every news desk in town." Gunner defended.
"Friends?" I smirked at her.
She rolled her eyes and inched closer to David. God I really hurt her didn't I.
"Can't we table the Palabber and get back to business? Will Medda let us have the theatre?" Les asked exasperatedly.
"It's what i've been trying to tell ya! We wanna hold a rally! A city-wide meeting, where every newsies gets a say and a vote; and we do it after workin' hours, so no one loses a day's pay. Smart?" Davey asked.
"Yeah smart enough to get you committed to a padded room," I scoffed.
"Well, the guy who paints places he's never seen is calling us crazy?" Katherine giggled, leaning her head on Gunner's shoulder, who giggled in return.
I felt the anger well inside me again.
"You wanna see a place I seen? How bout this!" I snapped
I spun the backdrop to the cartoon I had been working on for the past week. Gunner gasped and her hand shot up to cover her lips.
"Newsies Square! Thanks to my big mouth! Filled to overflowing with failure! Kids hurt, others arrested" I snapped.
"Lighten up! No one died!" Davey exclaimed.
Gunner reached over and slapped him upside the head.
"Is that what you're aiming for! Go on, go on, call me a coward, call me a quitter. Ain't no way I am putting those kids back in danger!" I shouted.
Gunner visibly flinched when I brought up our fight.
"We're doing something no one's done before! How can that not be dangerous?" Davey asked.
"Specs brought me the letter Crutchie wrote. I tried to see him. Went around back and up the fire escape. They busted him up so bad, he couldn't even come to the window. Now what if we don't make it! Are you willin to shoulder that for a half a penny a pape?" I demanded, my voice cracking.
"Jack-" Gunner started, her voice soft until Davey cut her off.
"It's not about pennies! You said it yourself! My family wouldn't be in this mess if my father had a union. This is a fight we have to win!"
"If I wanted a sermon, I woulda shown up for church." I snapped
"That's it!" Gunner snapped.
She marched up to me and grabbed my shirt, pulling me down, our faces inches apart and it was so hard not to kiss her. The fire in her eyes burned.
"Tell me how quitting does Crutchie any good, How it does us any good."