Chapter 29

Izzy POV

She didn't know how much more she could take; she was still reeling from Tony showing up, confused over Rowan pushing her away, her heart tired from all the questions and uncertainty – these latest words were just too much to process.

She stared at him stupidly, her mind blank.

He gave her one of those crooked smiles – one of the real ones where the corners of his eyes crinkled.

"It's the truth Iz. I didn't want to admit it, or even believe it at first, it hurt too much and it felt like I was betraying her. But... I can't deny it anymore. The pull I have towards you - my wolf has chosen you." He took a deep breath, a hand running through his hair as he looked at her nervously, and then the words were rushing out. "You are my second chance mate."

Beat. Beat. Beat.

Izzy listened to her heart hammer in her chest as she just continued to stare. The words hanging in the air between them, as the seconds ticked by.

"I-is ... is that even possible?" She finally managed to get out, her brain scrambling to make sense of what he was trying to tell her.

"I've heard about it before, always hoped it was more than just a rumor, but I've never seen it happen before you. And I mean - I never thought I deserved it. I know I don't deserve you, but I can't pretend I don't feel it." Pain and guilt laced his voice, before it become strong and forcefully, complete conviction ringing in his next words. "You are my life now Izzy."

Izzy easily picked up his uncertainty in his next words however.

"Well, that is – if you'll have me."

She felt like she was falling, the air rushed past her ears, her stomach tumbling and rolling, making it difficult to think, adrenalin tingling in her veins as her heart leapt. It was overwhelming – dread, lust, want, desire, affection, fear, nervousness, anxiety, denial, joy – all of it pulled at her, battling for space as she tried to make sense of what this meant.

"I don't – I can't be yours. I'm just a human and I.. I just can't." The words tumbled out, her thoughts a mess. Insecurities and doubts consuming her.

"You're rejecting me?"

"You're just- you're.. deciding my life! You're just claiming me! Just like Tony! And my dad! You're no different! And I'm j-just some tool to fill your dead mate's spot!"

"You aren't a tool."

"Then what am I? Why me?" She asked, her chest heaving.

"Cupcake, you aren't a substitute for anyone. And as for why you? Because you're strong, and witty, and you don't put up with my shit, and you aren't afraid to be vulnerable. But you also stand up for yourself, and your beliefs and you fight for others. I think my wolf decided it was you that first day in the office. But it has been so much more then that since then. It isn't like it was with her. It isn't some fated connection, and I'm not deciding your life. That's not how second chance mates work- it can't be one sided. You have to feel it to. You have to choose me."

She looked at him skeptically, her expression guarded and unsure, weighing the truthfulness in his words. Feeling as the anxiety that had been tightening around her chest, the trapped feeling that had consumed her life before she had been kidnapped and locked away, eased as his words sank in.

"I've chosen you Izzy. You are mine, and that is the end of it for me. But you get to decide if I am yours. It's up to you, I won't force you to accept me. You have to know I'd never do that. I would never do what they did to you."