Chapter 44

Izzy POV

They were quiet as they just held each other, the silence of the night filling in the spaces where their words had broken through. Darkness and shadows eased the grief and pain of the day, soothing the anguish and offering solace for a few moments.

Breaking the spell Rowan pulled back, ignoring her whimpering protest to stare down at her, "Wait does this mean you accept the mate bond?" He asked a grin forming, white teeth bright against darkened scruff.

She punched his chest, grinning back as he grunted, "If this was all some trick to get me to admit the stupid thing I'll neuter you, you assmonkey."

At that he laughed out loud, head tipping back, the edginess in his eyes easing just a bit. "Did it work?"

Detangling herself from his arms, refusing to think about how she already missed the feel of them around her she snorted. "Not at all wolfie. Takes more than amazing parents to win me over."

She shuddered in pleasure as he moved behind her, hands skimming her waist and hips as he bent his lips to her ear, breath tickling her skin as she leaned to give him better access. "I told you they'd love you."

"Ass." She whispered, eyes closing as his lips finally found skin.

Laughing against her neck he explored the sensitive skin, teeth nipping lightly, "I've been called worse, cupcake."

All she could manage was a groan as he trailed his teeth along the curve of her neck, her toes curling and her body turning to mush in his hands. Trusting Rowan to support her fully, she leaned back into his frame letting go of everything but the feel of him in that moment. No thoughts of what hung above them, what waited in the shadows, and what the morning would bring. There was only the here and now. Just her and him and the feel of their bodies pressed together, breathing matched until they were one.

She whimpered at the loss of him as he inched back, hands stilling in their exploration until he was light hold was simply steadying her as she struggled to calm her wild and racing heart.

"We should get to bed." He whispered, his own breathing not as even as before, voice deeper and huskier with desire and need.

"Somehow I don't think you mean the fun kind." She said only some of her disappointment a show. No matter where her heart and head was when it came to him, her body knew exactly what she wanted from the wicked man.

He barked out a laugh, kissing just below her ear, "You need sleep mate."

She snorted, "I always need sleep." Turning in his hold to face him, she batted her lashes playfully and said teasingly, "What's a few more hours?"

His gaze dropped to her mouth, eyes dilating silver as his hands gripped her more tightly. Desire warring in his eyes. Reluctantly Izzy made the choice for him, knowing that tonight was not the night to push him, he was still to on edge, to close to falling into whatever void Rebecca's death had opened. She wouldn't let herself become a source of his self-hate, or another source of regret for him. Stepping back, she smiled at the disappointment on his face as she moved to the bathroom. "Don't fret woflie, one day I'll let you compete to be my best." She said with a wink, spinning and laughing at his thunderous growl, slamming the door and throwing the lock just as his fists landed against it, shaking it in its frame.

"That's not funny Izzy." He fumed through the door still growling. She could hear him pacing as she jumped in the shower, needing to remove the feel of grime and dirt before she could really relax. Only when she was brushing her teeth did she open the door to his insistent knocking, laughing at his dark look as he grumbled and growled his way past her into the bathroom. "Not funny."

"I think I'm hilarious thank you very much." She sang sweetly as he growled again.

"Yeah laugh it up chuckles." He said.

And then it was her turn to jump as he pulled his shirt up and off in one quick movement offering her a view that knocked the wind from her lungs. She'd seen him before, but now? Knowing what she did, or at least what he said about them, that he was hers? That she was allowed to stare and soak him up as much as she wanted, no shame or guilt required - it was sooo much better.

Looking over his shoulder at her he winked, before his hands moved to the waist of his black jeans, spinning away she faced her beet red reflection in the mirror, as he laughed behind her. The sound of material over skin had her hairline on fire and her toes curling as she clung to the sink. Biting her lip, she forced herself not to turn around, instead meeting Rowan's eyes through the mirror, cursing the amusement and wicked delight that shone back at her.

"Asshole." She said cursing again as her eyes dipped to his chest and her heart stuttered.

"You started it sunshine, don't pout just because I'm better." He said a crocked smirk on his face as his eyes ran over her hungrily.

For a split second, she considered turning around and answering the question that shone so clearly in his eyes. To match that hunger that shone with one of her own. But in a last moment of sanity she grabbed her hairbrush chucking it at him as she fled the bathroom, diving under the covers and muttering curses the whole time he showered. With the door, open. And very unnecessary and vivid commentary.

"You're a twadbuckle." She snarled as he came out of the bathroom, steam curling around him, towel hung low on narrow hips. She swallowed thickly eyes pulled lower.

He smirked, "I'd say I've been called worse, but I honestly don't know what the hell that is."

"It's you. And you enjoy your moment twadbuckle, because this is just getting started." She promised evilly, eyes narrowing.

"Don't start something you can't win cupcake." Rowan said letting the towel fall as she made a strangled noise in her throat, forcing herself to stare at the boring ceiling even as her imagination threw pictures of the glorious sight she knew stood only a handful of feet and a quick glance from her.

"Oh, you have no idea what you're in for Prince." She snarled as she squirmed on the bed. Mind not cooperating as she continued to fantasize about exactly what said prince looked like.

The bed dipped with his weight, and she didn't fight as his arm snaked around her waist pulling her across the sea of white duvet and pillows and into his bare and far to sculpted chest. "is it war than Sunshine?" He whispered, cuddling her into him, breath softening as she relaxed into his hold, nuzzling closer.

Chuckling when he jumped as she pressed her cold feet to his legs, she mumbled into his chest, "Oh it's war Princeling, and by the end I'll have you groveling on your knees for mercy by the end of it, so be warned." Yawning she pressed her cold nose to his neck. Relaxing under his touch and scent.

His chest rumbled under her as he choked out a laugh, still chuckling lowly his arms tightened around her snuggling her even closer, sighing in contentment she let her eyelids close, feeling herself slip from consciousness as he pressed a kiss to her temple, breathe stirring her hair as he muttered, "I look forward to it cupcake."