Chapter 32

Izzy POV

They travelled only a few more hours before they were turning off of the interstate and making their way down less travelled side roads, and then finally just as the sun was cresting the sky and beginning it's decent the convoy turned down a well-maintained private road, roaring past the signs and warnings posted buy heavy metal gates. Following the curved road, Izzy stared through the darkly tinted glass as they based by a second pair of towering gates that sat this time open before a sprawling estate. The main building was an old colonial house, the wide wrap around porch filled with wicker chairs, there was even a porch swing hanging in one of the corners over-looking the lush garden that made up most of the front yard. Scattered behind the large main house, were smaller single dwelling houses in various styles, having been built later and at different times as the pack had grown and evolved.

"Welcome to Pack Semper." Isaac said glancing at her through the rearview mirror before returning to squinting into the sinking sun, following closely behind the vehicles slowly making their way ahead of them over the hard packed pocketed earth, clouds of dust billowing in their wake.

"They seem on edge." Izzy said quietly glancing sideways at Rowan, before peeking back at the twins.

Rowan looked up from the papers he was reading to the two Guardians in the front; their backs were stiff, faces dark, Isaac kept his gaze on the road and convoy ahead of them, while Noah scanned out the windows and over the surrounding landscape. "They have trust issues."

Isaac snorted quietly, while Noah predictably stayed silent. Taking them in Izzy felt her own anxiety and nerves raise in response, her body shifting closer over the plush upholstery towards Rowan out of some new found instinctive. Seeking the reassurance of his presence as she noted the twins' response to their new surroundings. Without realizing it, or not consciously, she had come to trust and depend on the twins and Rowan, and even the others for, cues to this new world. Now unquestioningly she followed their lead, taking her cues from their responses; if they were calm and assured then she no longer worried about her safety, her fear and stress abetted if they were confidant. But, like now, when she could sense their wariness increasing the closer they came to this new pack's lands, Izzy found her own emotions rising in response.

Rowan had returned to shuffling through his papers, but then suddenly halted turning to her, his eyebrows pulling together as he looked at her. Reaching out a hand he brushed a strand of hair that had fallen forward from her face, his hand brushing over her shoulder causing a shiver to spread out from his simple touch. Turning she was pulled from her thoughts and panic, falling into the concerned grey of his gaze. "Izzy." He started gently, searching her face. "You don't need to worry, you're safe with me."

Her mouth had gone dry in response to her rising fear, thoughts and images of her first encounter with werewolves and Alpha Vance's pack filling her mind. Her body responding to the threat that was so inherent in the twins' own response; if they were on edge, then she therefore had reason to be terrified.

Picking up on more of her emotions, Rowan's eyes became stormy. Turning to face her fully, his body filled even the large space of the luxury SUV easily. "Iz why are you so afraid?"

At his words Noah twisted to look at her, Isaac looking through the mirror in concern, sniffing at the air, their faces darkening in harmony as they too finally picked up on her fear. Their already stiff frames tensing even further as they took in her obvious alarm and concern. Eyes flashing black and matching growls starting to rumble from their chests.

Their response only fueled Izzy's own terror, her mind equating their increased unease with danger and an emanate threat. Her heartbeat rose, hands shaking as she curled them into fists on her thighs.