Chapter 37

Izzy POV

The last few hours had been a whirlwind; with the attack on Rowan, Austin's death, the reappearance of Doyle, and now a quick depart from Semper lands had them surrounded by grim sullen activity.

The Semper pack itself had been in chaos since news of what had happened had begun to spread. Jackson and his mate were on lockdown inside the pack house, and only the very few most trusted members of their pack were allowed near them. The Beta that had been at the middle of the attack was still locked and bound in the cells below, and brawls were starting to erupt outside between pack-mates as sides were drawn.

The twins had taken control of the situation, wrangling in the guards and issuing hushed orders. Whatever grief or emotions they were feeling were pushed to the back, as duty and prudence took center stage and the reality of the precariousness of their situation setting in for all of them.

Izzy remained in Rowan's lap as Austin's body was wrapped in a set of sheets someone had found, Olivia was pried away so he could be moved and laid in one of the SUV's that were being hurriedly packed and guarded in front of the house. Her sobs that had grown quiet picking up as his stiff body was moved.

Watching in pain and distress, but understanding there was little that could be done to truly ease the weight of such loss, such grief, Izzy's hands trailed down Rowan's chest to rest lightly on his blood-soaked shirt. The wound on his neck had healed, the flesh knitted back together leaving only the faintest jagged edge of a silvery scar against his lightly tanned skin as evidence of the violence that had taken place. She knew though that others caused that day would not be so easily mended. Hayden and Derek hadn't moved from their spots before them, their bodies and shoulders set and stiff as they watched the others move around the room, listening to the hushed and broken words.

It was like some horrible dream she couldn't escape; it didn't feel real and yet at the same time it was so real it felt like her body would crack from the horror and pain of it. She didn't know how long they sat like that, but then at some signal she missed Rowan shifted under her, hands guiding her from his lap steadying her as she fought to find her feet, moving to her hip to bring her closer. As they passed the blood now cooled and drying on the floor she pressed further into his side, fighting to remain strong even as tears filled her eyes. Guards fell in around them, the few Semper Pack wolves that remained in the house congregated in doorways and the front rooms, all fighting to get a final look at the Prince their pack had attacked.

"Where are we going?" Izzy asked, voice low as they moved past the stairs that would have led them to the room they had shared over the past week.

Rowan's voice was just as low, but with a steel edge of control sharpening it to a blade. He sounded strong and unflinching but Izzy could feel the flicker of pain, the still raw and deep well of grief threatening to swallow him whole as he spoke. "We're going home."

She didn't have words for that, her own fears of what it would mean for herself so petty and small now, so insignificant under the weight of all that had changed in the course of a few short hours. And so, she pressed once more into his side, offering whatever comfort and support she could to the Prince at her side.

The whispers buzzed around them even with the house nearly empty, following them as they made their way to the front door where the rest of their guards were waiting. Rowan's shoulders stiffened, his head high as they passed, guards moving to surround them further, his eyes never acknowledging those that watched them.

There was an uncertainty and tension in the air now, something that hung in the air surrounding the pack that had not been there before. With the attack on Rowan and the death of a member of the Royal Court something had shifted and broken in Semper, a path and choice had been made that could not be undone. Even if they didn't yet know what that choice was, what path they had allowed a few of their members to set them on, they all did understand it was one that none of them would come out from untouched.

The SUV's were already running and waiting for them, the doors standing open as guards stood watching the gathering crowds. Izzy felt a murmur run through them as they appeared on the porch, dozens of eyes taking in the stains, the dark features, the tension, her tucked into his side, something told her they missed none of it, and that for them it all meant something, said something.

They didn't pause or speak to any of them. No words passed between the Royals and those of the Semper pack, even Alpha Jackson was silent as they approached the vehicles, standing on the porch his mate nowhere to be seen, guards surrounding him as Rowan's hand on her lower back guided her into the plush interior. For a moment Izzy thought it looked like Rowan might say something as he turned back one final time, his gaze falling on the stiff form of the Alpha, but then the moment passed and he turned pulling himself beside her, the door slamming shut and the others following suit. As Izzy peered around Rowan's frame for a final glimpse through the darkly tinted window as the twins climbed into the front seats, she caught sight of Hayden and Derek who lingered for just a moment on the steps for a moment. Just enough time for a few hushed words to be exchanged with the Alpha before they too were heading for the line of vehicles, doors slamming with resounding finality before the crunch of gravel and roar of engines was carrying them and Austin away.

No one spoke, or at least no one spoke out loud, and so Izzy allowed herself to curl into Rowan's side her head resting on his chest as the car swept them away from Pack Semper.

Unfortunately, even as the pack house grew smaller the faces of those still gathered blurring until they at last faded and eventually they were nothing but a blur in the mirror, they weren't able to leave what had happened behind, and even as she drifted in and out of a soft doze she couldn't get the image of Austin's body sprawled on the floor from her mind.