Chapter Four

The noon sun shone bright against endless azure plains. Cool lake breezes coasted around; shrubs and tall birch trees alike danced to their own natural tune. Summer was aproaching quickly, said the chipmunks and foxes scurrying about in Kyra's yard.

We were having lunch on her patio that day. She had looked a bit more relaxed than the night before last. Although, most wouldn't see anything wrong 'less they saw her eyes. And I had a good view of them from the cement.

"Is your sandwich good, Miss?"

She gave me a breathtaking smile, despite the dimness of her eyes I'd been seeing recently. They used to be so bright. "You know what they say, sliced bread is the best thing since Betty White." Another bite was taken. "But, God damn, this chicken salad is wonderful. Jason's Deli really taught you well in the art of crafting such beauty."

"I try." I smiled back at her while she devoured her food, "Thank you, Miss." She only humed in responce, her mouth filled with the last bite of what I gladly fixed for her.

"I'm thinking of flying out to my parents' place soon." She stated quietly, her eyes fixed upon her empty hands. Crumbs littered the plate in front of her. "Mostly to help Mom with the house." Mistress coughed, as if she were catching herself. A gleam of anxiety (or was it fear?) met my gaze.

"I'm quite sorry," she started. "My behavior has been unprofessional recently. It won't happen again." It sounded more like a mantra than a promise but, nonetheless, confused me.

"Miss?"

"Hm?" She wouldn't look at me whenever I called her; still to this day I never found out quite why. Maybe it was shame? She used to be known as a submissive, so I had chalked it up to that.

"It's perfectly fine," I had began, but she cut me off with a strict tone.

"No." I stayed quiet. I knew while I wore this collar, it wasn't my place to say any more on the matter. My mistress kept silent as well, soaking in the midday light whilst she relaxed. I fiddled with my thumbs in my lap, studying her soft features. As more relaxed as she had looked, I began to notice the age begining to wear on her skin. Still just as beautiful porcelain, her skin was smooth and taunt across her nose and cheeks. Small creases were at the cusp of forming more prominent around her eyes. Anyone would have expected this, a woman in her third decade of life normally has some sort of age sign. Even I do. But hers just enhances her beauty much more than anyone else I had ever seen.
I am so lucky that I owe this beautiful woman an eternity of servitude for all that she has helped me with. Wouldn't anyone indebt their life to the one person that was able to get their life back on track?

"Pet?"
I shot up to attention. "Yes, Miss?"

"How would you like to go on a trip with me?"