Chapter Thirteen

"Mom, hey! Sorry I was in a bar."

"Kyra, you aren't out partying again, are you?" She scolded, her high-pitched voice making my fuzzy head hurt.

I rolled my eyes and leaned against the side of the building. "No, mom. I was just out for a couple drinks." More than a couple, really, but at this point I just wanted to get back to Lawrence and go home.

"Uh huh." She replied with a snarky tone. "Well anyways, I wanted to ask about when you're comin' down here next week."

I nearly forgot about that. "Yeah, Mom. I'll be flying in next Thursday. I may be bringing someone with me, but I haven't checked for sure yet."

She was quick to jump on that. "Someone, huh? Well, I can't wait to meet 'em."

"Momma I never said it was a guy- never mind. Can I call you tomorrow? I have work in the morning and it's already midnight." I lied through my teeth.

Thankfully, she agreed and hung up. I sighed, looking at my phone before dumping it back in my bag. After having to threaten that frat boy who followed me out, and dealing with my mother, I was exhausted. Now to find Law and go home.

However, the sight I found myself was the least I expected. There he was, in all of his bastardly glory, grinding with a short blonde dressed as slutty as they come. Inside, I felt something break in me. He must not have seen me coming back in, as he was wrapping his hands around the girl, now kissing her deeper than I've ever had the privilege to feel.

Go! Get out of here! Just fucking turn around and don't look back!

And I did. I walked back out and did my best to hail a cab. I stumbled in, feeling my soul being crushed into more pieces.

"Where to?" The cabbie asked.

"843 Catalina Road." I said, staring at my hands. I stayed silent the whole time even when the driver tried to make conversation with me. When we finally got back after around thirty minutes, I handed him a hundred dollar bill- partially as a 'sorry' for being rude but also because I didn't care.

I swore I could hear him murmur "Poor girl." as I got out but I ignored it. I fumbled my way into the house and into my bed, not bothering to put on any night clothes on. And I cried. And cried.

I couldn't explain. I cared. But I shouldn't have cared. We never agreed on seeing each other exclusively. Never. How could I be upset at him? I gave him freedom of the collar, so he could do as he pleased. Maybe it was because of Wade. That had to be it. I did my best to rationalize the situation. The more I did, the worse I felt. Finally, after a few hours, I fell silently asleep.

I jumped awake as my phone rang loudly. My subconscious must've thought it was him. I jumped out of bed and stumbled to my clutch that had found itself a nice place on the floor. To my dismay, a call from the sheriff was waiting on the other end.

"Hello?" I said groggily.

"Hello, Dr. Hotchner?"

I rubbed my eyes. "This is she."

"Yes, hi. This is Sheriff Kodak at the Carmel City Police Department." I winced at his loud voice.

I tried to cover my yawn as I replied, "Yes, sir. What can I do for you."

"Well I was going through your file for a man named Wade Goshen. We noted that there was no identification and fingerprints were missing but there was no dental record published with the file. Do you mind coming down to the station and explaining to us what happened?"

Fuck. My. Life. "I don't mind at all. I can be there in an hour."

"Perfect. Thank you." He quickly hung up. I sighed and slumped back into my bed. Great, now I have to make up a story about that. I took another breath and slowly pulled myself out of bed. The reflection facing me in the bathroom mirror was horrendous. My clothes were rumpled and my face was a deep crimson.