Chapter Sixteen

"Yes, sir. I understand." I had said to my boss. He looked up at me from the cherry-stained desk Michael so diligently upheld. Everything on it was perfectly spaced out, from the pencil holder to his computer and the Newton's Cradle. Not a speck of dust in this room, either.

Michael was a very organized man. Not to mention his personality was as bland as oatmeal- that is if we could look over the fact that the basic mousy-brown haired douche didn't constantly walk as if he had a stick up his ass.

"And you'll have the deadlines met before your vacation on Thursday, correct?" He asked with a monotone voice.

"Yes, sir. I'm nearly done already." It was already Tuesday and my mind has been racing over my and Mistress' trip together. She has been busying herself with packing early and making sure the routes are in order to drive from the airport in Dallas. Her stress may be rubbing off on me just a tad. Hence how I was able to critique 17 articles in the past two days. I can usually only do five a day.

I went back to my cubicle and began to work again through lunch. I was eager to get back home and pack a bag. Over the course of this week, however, Mistress has been very skittish. Literally. She seems to be in a bit of a daze when Kyra isn't busying herself with packing or cooking or, well, anything really. It's been odd.

It could be because of what happened two weeks prior with the woman, but I can't be sure. I plan to ask her this evening so I will know just how to help.

My phone beeped from my pocket. It was a message from Kyra, herself.

I have a surprise for you when you get home.

Oh boy. I started to get quite excited.

Another message was sent below it.

Maybe not for you but I'm very happy about it.

That piqued my interest greatly. Just then, I checked the time. 3:20. I had ten minutes left of my work day. I began to save my work typed out on the computer and shut it down. Then, my papers that I had been correcting were put into my briefcase. I texted Kyra back.

I'll be there soon after I pack, Mistress.

I went ahead and left for the day just to end up at my apartment. I don't spend much time here as of late. There was a thin layer of dust on the furniture just to prove that. I love it, but it isn't home. I'd much rather be in my cage than here. Well, anywhere that involved Kyra.

When I finally got to see her, I could feel my heart swell. "Hi, baby." She called from the kitchen. This beautiful woman was dressed in a navy blue pantsuit, deep red curls spiraling down her back. I came up behind her and gave her a peck on the cheek. Kyra smiled and sipped her glass of water.

"What's this sweet surprise you've been going on about, baby?" I said against her ear. She sighed happily as she took my hand. "I know we're leaving tomorrow but," she turned to me.

I was at a loss for words. I had no idea what she was talking about.

"Just come to the bedroom." She ordered and then quickly scuttled down the hallway.

I smiled. It was good to see her like this, so childishly playful. Nothing made me happier than her.

"So this is Aqua." Kyra announced just as I came in. In her hands she was cradling something wrapped in a blanket. I peeked over and saw a puppy?

"Kyra what.....?"

"I uh, well, got out of work early to clean the house before we left and just to, uhm, pass the time I went by a family friend's place. She gave her to me."

"So you got a dog," I paused, "right before we leave to go on a week-long trip?"

Kyra clutched to the puppy possessively. "My family friend said she would house-sit while we were gone. Why is that so bad?"

Well shit. "Kyra, honey, that's not what I meant." Her narrowed eyes didn't waiver from the bone-chilling stare she was giving me. "What I meant was that this decision was out of nowhere and albeit a bit rash. But baby, if you want the puppy, keep it."

Her posture was still a little unsure. "At least let me see her." I said playfully. She relaxed a little and sat on the bed. I watched her carefully unwrap a liver-colored dog. The puppy crawled out of her arms and waddled over to me.

"She's a Doberman!" Kyra said excitedly. "I've been wanting one since I was a child- I grew up with them, you see."

I smiled at her. "She's adorable, baby. A perfect fit for you."

She sighed happily. "They grow up fast."

"I already love her to bits

"I already love her to bits."

Kyra leaned over and kissed me gently. "I wish this trp would be a lot more enjoyable for us but I'm not going to sugar-coat it. I will be hell to deal with while I'm there. Being home," she paused for a moment, her bright eyes cast down. "It's not easy." She lifted Aqua up and sat her on the floor.

I pulled her closer. "I'll be there every step of the way." Kyra leaned into me and buried her head in my shoulder. I kissed the top of her head. "Besides, I love it when you get mad."

She giggled. "Your ass is gonna be so sore, just you wait."

"Yes ma'am!" I laughed.

The rest of the day went by easily. That little dog won my heart easily. We played with her for a while after our little talk. Kyra and I had dinner together. She cooked an amazing pot pie that was gone nearly before it hit the plate. I always loved her cooking. Mistress took really good care of me that night as well.

When morning came, both of us were groggy from our lively night. But there was much more to tell.