Chapter Ten

I don't know who this banner is from, but whoever you are, thank you!

***

"Get your hands out of my popcorn!" I shouted at Reth for what must have been the twelfth time. We sat on the couch bickering while Rixton went to pick out a movie and Rain sat silently on the opposing side of the sofa, occasionally laughing at us.

"Sharing is caring, Clare! Didn't they ever teach you that as a kid?"

"But I'm not a kid anymore, now and I?" I said matter-of-factly, swatting his hand away yet again. "Go get your own damn popcorn."

He gasped over dramatically, gapping in appalled shock as he exclaimed, "You cursed! There is a child right there-" he pointed at Rain. "You are going to taint his poor, innocent mind!"

I gave him a flat look. "He's fifteen, Reth. He's not a child. I'm pretty sure he's heard a lot worse with all you crazy delinquents running around our school-hey!" I broke off, smacking his shoulder as he snuck some of my popcorn into his mouth. "Quit it!"

"Why don't you make me."

"Do you remember a certain event that happened today? Like, let's say, when you snuck up on me and I punched you in the face?" Of course I was only joking, but there wasn't any harm being done by threatening him with it.

He shook his his head in disapproval, frowning. "You're never gonna' let me live that down, are you?"

"Nope," I replied, mocking him by popping the 'p' and he gave me a feigned shocked look.

"Who are you?" He gasped. I ignored him and ate another handful of popcorn.

"You punched him in the face?" Rain asked.

"He came up behind me and covered my mouth so I couldn't scream and proceeded to whisper menacingly in my ear, so yes, I thought that he was a crazy cereal killer and punched him in the face."

"And it hurt like a bitch," he added, frowning.

"You yelled at me for cursing," I scolded him.

"To be fair, you're supposed to be the innocent, goodie-goodie around here, so you don't get to curse."

"And you can't tell me what to do, so kindly shut up."

"Make me," he repeated his earlier statement despite my threat.

I looked over to Rain. "Do you have any duct tape?"

"I...I think so..." He replied, looking away from me nervously.

"You traitor!" Reth said accusingly.

"Oh, I'm all in on this," a voice said at the doorway, and as I glanced in the direction I saw Rixton standing there with a daring grin plastered on his face.

"Uh oh," Reth said in true fear, his eyes wide.

***

The room was completely dark, only the area around us illuminated by the glow of the TV and all four of us sat scattered around the room as we watched the movie that was on.

"So," I said, looking over at Reth sitting beside me with a victorious smile. "You enjoying the movie?"

His eyes slowly moved to me, and he shot me a glare so intent I was almost thankful that looks couldn't kill. He mumbled something intolerant that I could only assume was supposed to be harsh, the duct tape that covered his mouth preventing him from speaking along with binding is wrists and his ankles together and forcing his arms to his sides so that he could barely move.