Chapter Eighteen

~ IMPORTANT ~

I am so sorry for the long wait! I know that a lot of you guys have been commenting and dm'ing me, asking me when the next update will be, but I have honestly been so busy I just didn't know, and because I had you guys wait so long, I decided to make a little Challenge for this chapter to try and make it up to you.

So here it is: I am going to be giving out 5 shoutouts, and 1 dedication in the next chapter. All you have to do to enter is comment honestly about this chapter, or this story in general, in a minimum of 2 or more sentences, honestly stating your opinion about it in the comments.

My 5 favorite comments will receive a shoutout in the next chapter, and my absolute favorite comment, from someone who goes above and beyond, will receive a dedication in the next chapter and maybe even a follow from me.

I'm excited to hear what all you amazing readers have to say! But without further ado *drumroll* Enjoy!

***

"Clare!" a voice beside me whispered, them nudging my shoulder.

"Hm?" I mumbled, jolting awake. I glanced around the room, sitting up straighter as I realized I was still in class. Reth looked concerned, sitting in the seat beside me. He had transferred into my calculus class after I had showed Mr. Sims his test papers from our tutoring sessions.

"Are you okay?" He asked me worriedly, his hand coming up to rub my back gently.

"I-I didn't sleep very well last night," I told him softly, tensing up the slightest bit as memories from the night before flooded my head. His eyes grew distant as he seemed to be remembering also.

"You okay?" Maya said, turning around in her seat in front of me. "Are you getting sick?"

"No," I said, closing my eyes for a second as I could barely hold them open. I sighed heavily and laid my head down on my desk, Reth continuing to rub my back gently, and Maya gave him a faint glare.

"What's wrong?" She asked him.

"She just didn't sleep good," he replied. They continued to talk to each other, but as I began to doze off again, I couldn't make out their words. I didn't know how much time had passed before I felt him shake me awake once more.

"Come on," I heard him say softly. "Class is over, let me take you home." Nodding sleepily, I let him help me stand up and lead me out of the room. Taking my school bag from me, he slung it over his own shoulder before he wrapped his arm around my waist, and as we reached the school parking lot, he opened his car door for me.

I leaned my head against the window, and slowly I felt myself beginning to fall into sleep again. The world faded out.

***

"Reth," I mumbled, unable to open my eyes to pull myself out of sleep. "Reth...my phone is ringing."

"I'll get it," he said softly, rubbing my back. "Go back to sleep."

Sighing, I stilled once again, being on the verge of falling back asleep. Somehow the car window had turned into a soft pillow, and the warm blanket on top of me made me realize that I was now in my bedroom.

I could faintly hear him rummaging through my school bag in search of my ringing phone, and saying, "Hello?" as he answered.

There was silence for a long moment, before he harshly spat, "Who is this?" into the phone. It was then that it became clear that something was definitely wrong, and I realized that it was his usual day of the week to call.