Chapter Fourteen

Dedicated to midnightera for the rad' banner above. Thanks again!

***

"Holy shiz-niz," Maya exclaimed from beside me as she looked at the picture I'd taken of me and Reth's wall two days ago. "That is seriously brilliant."

"You think?" I asked, wanting her honest opinion. If there was one person I completely trusted, it would be Maya.

"Yes, Clare it looks amazing, adding onto the fact that you did it all with a freaking spray can! God, you are talented."

"It wasn't just me," I told her. "It was Reth too. Both of us."

"I'm still waiting for him to screw up, even the slightest, so that I can break his pretty-boy nose."

"Maya..." I sighed. "If you knew what he's been through you'd understand why he is the way he is."

"What he's been through?" She questioned.

"He told me, and it's so terrible," I murmured. "He's actually a really great guy."

I really didn't know why I was sticking up for him when I knew for a fact he was sitting with Kira even as we spoke in that exact moment. I'd seen them when I walked in the cafeteria, sitting at the center table with the rest of the boys, laughing.

I suddenly felt very unsettled without knowing why.

"What you've been through is terrible too, Clare," she said quietly. "And I'm not going to let anyone break you like that ever again. I made you a promise, and I'm not going to break it."

"Thanks May," I whispered, looking away from her.

"It's what I'm here for," she said as we stood up from the lunch table and she slung an arm over my shoulder. "Now let's get to Calculus."

I couldn't help but glance over at their table once again as we walked out, seeing him and Kira nearly brushing lips, and I looked away before I could feel the same pang of something I couldn't identify that I'd felt earlier.

The doors closed behind us and we began walking down the hallway, to Advanced Calculus, where I could get my mind off of him, and this time, I wasn't talking about the boy I'd put in prison.

____________

The day was coming to a close as the second to last period of class approached. I went to my locker to swap out my books as the students disbursed from the hallways before I made my way to art class.

The hallway was now empty, barren of anyone else, and I didn't pay much attention to the footsteps scuffling behind me until I heard the taunting voices.

"Guess who hasn't been answering Jay's calls," a melodic voice sneered behind me and I spun around, only to see Josh and four other boys approaching.

The five guys cornered me against the lockers, and I pressed myself further against them in a desperate attempt to distance myself from the group of them taunting me. To my horror I found that I recognized them as his friends from football. I had no idea how much they knew about what happened between us, but from the way that they were looking at me like I was a meal, I guessed that it was enough.

"I need to get to class," I said in a weak attempt to get them to leave me alone.

"Oh we know," Josh said, cocking his head to the side as he stared at me. "Tell me, Clare, when was the last time that you went to visit Jay?" I flinched as I heard his name. "I mean, you are his girlfriend aren't you?"