Chapter Twenty-Seven

***

Hello, dear readers! I hope you all are staying safe and healthy during this COVID-19 outbreak! I would love to know how you are all doing in the comments section! Please enjoy this chapter! I hope that it will lift your spirits. Stay positive!

The song for this chapter is All My Heart by Sleeping With Sirens. It plays a part in this chapter so listen to it while you read if you can!

***

Paranoia. Defined as something like excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

I had never felt paranoid before. I had never experienced an overpowering amount of suspicion for anything or anyone.

Buy lately, I could feel eyes on my back after every turn. Someone was following me. I didn't know who to tell about it. My mom would think I was going crazy and probably send me back to therapy. Maya would go haywire and never let me out of her sight. Remaining was Reth, who I had no idea how he would react.

Reth had been busy a lot lately, leaving me little time to discuss my feelings with him. He worked extra hours at the bar most nights, but when he didn't he was always with me.

He had been especially gentle and understanding with me the past few days. I often reminded him that I did not want him to treat me any differently than he had been, but he insisted that nothing had changed.

The sound of honking outside disrupted my thoughts. Peering outside of my window I could see Reth's prized Mustang in my driveway. It was nearing dark, the sun only just barely setting in the horizon. I wondered what he was doing at my house so late when he was supposed to be at work.

I opened the window with a frown, and he stepped out of the car. "What the heck, Reth?" I shouted at him below. "Shouldn't you be at work?"

"I took the night off," he yelled back. "Now we've got plans! Wear something black!"

I backed away from the window, grabbing my leather jacket and a black beanie before tugging them on and making my way out of the house.

He grabbed my hips as I approached the car and pulled me in for a kiss.

"What is all this about?" I questioned with a smirk. "More vandalizing?"

"Not quite," he chuckled. "Come on, we've got to get going."

Leaning back into the car, he turned up the volume, causing hard rock music to blare through the stereo.

I slid into the passenger seat. "And what's that about?" I asked loudly, pointing toward the radio.

"Just setting the mood, baby," he smiled at me, laying his hand on my knee as he backed out of my driveway.

We came to a stop in a shady-looking parking lot, dimly lit only by the streetlights overhead. I glanced over to Reth nervously. "This must be the part where you murder me," I gasped.

"Oh, not this again," he laughed under his breath. "Come on, we will have to walk a little."

"Walking is not my forte," I teased. "And also the dark."

"I'll protect you," he grinned, getting out of the car. I followed.

"And carry me?" I asked hopefully.

"Now you're just pushing your luck," he cackled out, wrapping an arm around my waist.

We shuffled through a maze of alleyways. I could barely see through the darkness, blindly trusting Reth to somehow not get us both lost - or killed. We entered another parking lot on the outside of a fenced in area, lights reaching my eyes in the distance. Music echoed throughout the night with a splendid melody.